Very impressed - 170 Diesel Engine

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I dropped the A3 off today at Macc Audi for its new steering column replacement due to a creaking noise and they have given me an A4 Avant 170 Diesel.

First thing i noticed was that its alot smoother than the 140 Diesel (we have A4 Avant 140's as Poole cars at work).

Power wise i didn't really notice a massive difference from the 140, I didn't actually know it was a 170 until i got a call from them updating on my car which was when i asked them about it.

It is certainly faster top end and much much smoother than the 140, and i gotta admit i do enjoy it, if i was doing high mileage then i would get one but its still petrol for me.

No way as fast as the 2.0T but then again the A4 is heavier than the A3.

Thumbs up from me though and thats saying something as i hate diesels!

Nowt wrong with diesels !!

Go on, don't fight it, let it happen..... you're moving over to the dark side now aren't you.

There's at least 11 people on here that would argue the 170 has it's fair share of problems ;-o
But no,there's nothing wrong with diesels as such.
When asked by bike riding mates,I liken it to the difference between a Ducati and a four cylinder bike.
You've just got to recalibrate yourself to the lower revving unit,that's all.
They're not inherently slower in real life.
Our fleet will be 100% diesel by January.
The remaining petrol owners are fed up of regular trips to fill up.
They want once a month fill-ups,not once a week.

Spot on Bowfer. It's adjusting to the power delivery. I got a 140 A4 loan car and at first couldn't really get used to that low revving gutlessness of the diesel. Once you change your style and stop trying to drive it like a petrol it's quite good.

Still sounded like a taxi though :)

yeh you do have to drive them differently - i know with mine it feels quicker if you don't redline it, ie, you ride the 2000-3500 wave of torque, and with the S-tronic box you can keep this torque/acceleration constant up to well over 100mph

The 170 is a superb engine when it's working properly and I doubt there'd be much in it performance-wise with the 2.0T in everyday driving. The petrol has 15% more power but the diesel 25% more torque - swings and roundabouts to some degree.

Also Robin, bear in mind yours is mapped :)

A remapped 2.0T will find no problems showing the 170 who's boss but comparing a remapped 2.0T with a remapped 170 would make things very interesting!

Bah! 170's! My 140, once i'm done with the modifications of couse, will show off both you Robin and any other 2.0T that happens to cross my path.

You'll literally be "eaing my dust" lol

emzino said:
Bah! 170's! My 140, once i'm done with the modifications of couse, will show off both you Robin and any other 2.0T that happens to cross my path.

You'll literally be "eaing my dust" lol

Sounds interesting, what have you done so far?

I am guessing that you do know that creating a uber powerful 140 Diesel is going to cost thousands and not hundreds............

Well I haven't done anything just as yet :unsure:

Yea I know it'll cost me abitbut I think i'll be better off in the long run with economy. It should last me until next year when the new A3 comes out, hopefully I can trade it in and get the new generations of diesels.

emzino said:
Well I haven't done anything just as yet :unsure:

Yea I know it'll cost me abitbut I think i'll be better off in the long run with economy.

i don't get it, how can you be better off with the economy if you tune the engine for more power?!

also good luck on putting down the power in the FWD car.

Well I can't get any worse than 40-45mpg normaly driving (changing gears just below 2k).

As for putting the power down, that's another hurdle I plan to jump over... somehow :detective2: