Sd card Which one???

showyS3

Gooner4life
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if any one can tell me what sd card to use on sat nav, Ive recently brought a 2gb Sandisk and it does not recognise it. Ive tried putting Mp3 tracks on there its fine on the computer but when I Insert it it reads 173mb Empty.

Any help would be Appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Sawkt

I use Kingston SD mem cards in mine.. and no problems at all :)

Would have thought any half decent make including SanDisk should work in there. May be a firmware, software issue on RNS-E.

Try another make and see how you go.. if that doesn't work it'll most likely be firmware IMO.

-Sal-

Did you buy a SD-HC card? - check the markings on it. These are not compatible iirc. You need just a normal SD card. :)

Maybe the sat nav doesn't support as much as 2GB? Just a thought.

tris88 said:
Maybe the sat nav doesn't support as much as 2GB? Just a thought.

IIRC RNS-E only recognises the first 500 tracks.. so doesn't matter what the card size is.

-Sal-

My 2gb Sandisk works fine. As said before if its the SD-HC then it wont work, you just need the normal one.

Thanks for the replies, My card just says Sandisk 2.0GB, So im not sure if its an hc.

I will give ita go with a different card and see how it goes.

Sawkt

Did you buy the card off ebay? As most of them on there are fake cards and not made by the companies they claim to be(even though the card and box have all the right labels).

I have a 2gb and 4gb Adata 150x cards and they work fine.

Kingston 2GB for me and they both work fine, think I fell foul of the e-bay scam when i bought a 4GB one from there and it didn't work!

2 X Sandisk 2GB cards in mine and they work fine, have you tried formatting the card as they will not be recognised by the RNS-E otherwise..

Right click on the card when installed in your card reader and 'format' using the 'FAT' method, hopefully sort your problem out? :thumbsup:

i have 2 Corsair 2gig SD cards working fine in mine, anyone know of any 4gig cards that will work and are in stock?

klauster said:
i have 2 Corsair 2gig SD cards working fine in mine, anyone know of any 4gig cards that will work and are in stock?

I've got some of these: Clicky linky

The cheeky gits have put the price up by £7 since I bought a couple of weeks ago. Must be in demand :)

They seem to be OK. I've just loaded over 2Gb's worth of mp3's onto them tonight and they both play in the RNS-E. The unit thought one was corrupt earlier, but since a reformat to FAT32 it's behaving. I think I interrupted the load process and it got upset :whistle2:

Just an update, Ive tried with a friends sandisk and it works fine.

I brought my card off Ebay, I thought I was buying from a Uk seller, when I enquired about sending the item back I was told to send it to US with tracking Info, that will cost me more than the card it self. I wont be buying another card from there again:no: . I cant believe seller I used has more than 15000 feedback, Buy selling most likely counterfeit Items.

Thanks for your replies

hfu said:
Can someone confirm exactly what the max size of memory card is?

There is only a max file/folder limit of 512, no max card size limit.

Dandle said:
There is only a max file/folder limit of 512, no max card size limit.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. All memory card enabled devices have a limit to the capacity card they can read. I mainly use Sony memory stick and for example the PSP can handle up to 4GB until you get a firmware update. But a lot of stuff doesn't have the option to update firmware.

P.S. in case anyone is interested, external hard drives also have a file/folder number limit but it can be increased if it's a FAT file system by changing it to NTFS.

There's an effective 4GB size limit as all cards larger than this are SD-HC, which the RNS-E won't read.

As for purchasing, memory cards are one thing you should never, ever buy off ebay, as I reckon over 90% of them are fakes.

Vertigo1 said:
As for purchasing, memory cards are one thing you should never, ever buy off ebay, as I reckon over 90% of them are fakes.

They still work ok!

I'm sure some of them do but a fair few will be inferior to what they're purporting to be. If they're dirt cheap and they work then it could well still be worth it, just saying that fake memory cards seem to be everywhere on ebay so caveat emptor.

Alot of the fake cards on ebay are actually much smaller cards relabled as a bigger size. They format them in a way to trick your computer into reading them as a bigger size. Sometimes you can copy data over fine, then 'poof' its gone when you put it back in. There is a article on ebay explaining the scam.

Bash_A3 said:
Alot of the fake cards on ebay are actually much smaller cards relabled as a bigger size. They format them in a way to trick your computer into reading them as a bigger size. Sometimes you can copy data over fine, then 'poof' its gone when you put it back in. There is a article on ebay explaining the scam.

Linky please??

I got a 4GB card and I got 4GB of games on it for my PSP so I must have been lucky then.

Hi everyone just an update, Ive just recieved a new sd card, and its still causing me problems. all the mp3 tracks work fine on the computer, I have reformated the cards to FAT, all it says when I load it is 193mb. This is the second card and this one is definately a genuine. Ive had my system replaced 2 weeks ago for a seperate problem so its all up to date.

Am I doing something wrong?

I reformated the card, I then drag all my mp3 Files on there, remove it from my computer and insert it.

Any help greatly appreciated, Ive spent the whole weekend trying to get this to work.:think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

Thanks in advance

When loading the NAV shows my cards as the wrong size(the 2gb something like the 193mb you report). Are your sure your music files are mp3 and not wav, aac or some other compression format?

When inserted for the first time the card it can take a while to load the music tracks up, it comes up with some like "SD card 1 loading" while this is happening. Are you getting this far with yours?

No mine doesnt say loading, Its a picture of an sd card with 193mb in th middle, when I try and select it I cant from the menu.

Are you clicking on "drive" to bring up the menu where you select which card or cd/dvd. Both slots should be shown inder the "dvd" option. Thats where you will see the cards loading. You cant select either one until "loading" has finished.

Thanks for the info I'll give it a go
Ive got it booked in at the dealer just in case anyway.

what ar the sd cards for ? sat nav or summin ????

No the cards havent worked, I have the car booked in next week I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the info

sorry to resurect this thread but im having the same problem. Placed 10 mp3 tracks on a Scandisk Ultra 2 4.0gb sd card, nothing at all being detected in either slot on the RNS-e? Tried a Sony 128mb card memory stick duo and again nothing happening?? Any ideas?

Maybe you could try formating the sd card on the pc?

Memory stick duo is different format to sd surely!

3.2 Ju said:
Maybe you could try formating the sd card on the pc?
The first thing you should do with a new SD card is stick it in your PC and format it to FAT32 before copying any MP3 files to it.

to n8kow
put it in your pc or pc reader and right click on it , then you will get the option to format.
alot of times they have pre instored data on them the the rsn-e doesnt like.
some cards have a tiny little switch on the side which is a lock, make sure this is in the off position before doing anything.
if not, as others on here have said, check out amazon or play.com.
play last week were doing 2gb for about £7.50 delivered,also aldi are also doing a 2gb card for £9.99.

all the best.

Thanks for the reply's guys and cheers Lea for the pm. I did reformat the two cards but still no joy, Im going to buy another SD card to make sure its not the cards that are causing trouble. What program are you guys using to rip your cds etc? Ive tried both on Windows Media Player in Vista and Apples itunes on an imac.

I use itunes for all my music, mainly because it stores everything nicely and you can easily edit your info (tack #, name, album etc)

IMPORTANT! - If you are going to use itunes, go into preferences/advanced/importing, then select mp3 as the default import. If you dont do this, all your music will be downscaled to the dreaded AAC format! AAC is the default coding for apple music and wont work on anything but apple/itunes.

So in summary:

* google itunes
* downlaod latest itunes programme
* install it (makes sure u select NOT to search for music, you can do this yourself afterwards.
* do as i said above from the edit tab within itunes, and change the default converter to mp3 (NOT AAC!!!)
* then just put a CD in your PC tray, it will prompt u to import to itunes. Failing that, open itunes THEN put your CD in. The CD will pop up, then just tell it to import :icon_thumright: (if you have followed these steps you should easily get all your CDs on MP3 format and stored Nicely for you to add to your SD card.

Phew.... Did that make sense to anybody or just me :nyah: