Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gooner4life

Status

Sd card Which one???

Hi, I was wondering if any one can tell me what sd card to use on sat nav, Ive recently brought a 2gb Sandisk and it does not recognise it. Ive tried putting Mp3 tracks on there its fine on the computer but when I Insert it it reads 173mb Empty.

Any help would be Appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Sawkt
    2007 Audi S3, Phantom Black, two tone black/red interior, and a few extras.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I use Kingston SD mem cards in mine.. and no problems at all

Would have thought any half decent make including SanDisk should work in there. May be a firmware, software issue on RNS-E.

Try another make and see how you go.. if that doesn't work it'll most likely be firmware IMO.

-Sal-
    S3 - Phantom Black with a few options..

1st Gear

Status
    Did you buy a SD-HC card? - check the markings on it. These are not compatible iirc. You need just a normal SD card.
    Audi A3 2001 1.8T Black - Hyperboost DV, BMC Filter, Kicker 8" Sub in custom Stealth box.
    Manager of the AS fantasy football league "Super Hoops" ... come on you R's!!!

Neutral

Status
    Maybe the sat nav doesn't support as much as 2GB? Just a thought.
    Audi A3 54 reg 2.0TDI Sport in Mauritius Blue!

1st Gear

Status

512Mb OK..

Quote Originally Posted by tris88
    Maybe the sat nav doesn't support as much as 2GB? Just a thought.
    IIRC RNS-E only recognises the first 500 tracks.. so doesn't matter what the card size is.

-Sal-
    S3 - Phantom Black with a few options..

Neutral

Status
    My 2gb Sandisk works fine. As said before if its the SD-HC then it wont work, you just need the normal one.
    2009 Audi TT-S - Ice Silver - S-Tronic

Gooner4life

Status
    Thanks for the replies, My card just says Sandisk 2.0GB, So im not sure if its an hc.

I will give ita go with a different card and see how it goes.

Sawkt

4th Gear

Status
    Did you buy the card off ebay? As most of them on there are fake cards and not made by the companies they claim to be(even though the card and box have all the right labels).

I have a 2gb and 4gb Adata 150x cards and they work fine.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

6th Gear

Status
    Kingston 2GB for me and they both work fine, think I fell foul of the e-bay scam when i bought a 4GB one from there and it didn't work!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

1st Gear

Status
    2 X Sandisk 2GB cards in mine and they work fine, have you tried formatting the card as they will not be recognised by the RNS-E otherwise..

Right click on the card when installed in your card reader and 'format' using the 'FAT' method, hopefully sort your problem out?

6th Gear

Status
    I use two of these and they work flawlessly:

http://www.mobymemory.com/products/M...emory-card.asp
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

2nd Gear

Status
    try this site, found it ok. www.w2w.com

5th Gear

Status
    i have 2 Corsair 2gig SD cards working fine in mine, anyone know of any 4gig cards that will work and are in stock?

aka dazzler

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by klauster
    i have 2 Corsair 2gig SD cards working fine in mine, anyone know of any 4gig cards that will work and are in stock?
    I've got some of these: Clicky linky

The cheeky gits have put the price up by 7 since I bought a couple of weeks ago. Must be in demand

They seem to be OK. I've just loaded over 2Gb's worth of mp3's onto them tonight and they both play in the RNS-E. The unit thought one was corrupt earlier, but since a reformat to FAT32 it's behaving. I think I interrupted the load process and it got upset
    Current: '14 8V S3 3dr S-tronic, Estoril blue, 5 yr warranty, B+O, Comfort pack, Heated/ foldable/dimming mirrors, Hill hold assist, Int. light pack, LED headlights, Lumbar, mono.pur, Park system plus - front + rear, Privacy glass, Technology pack - high, TPMS.
    Past:
    '07 8P S3, Sprint Blue, RNS-E, BOSE, 6CD, armrest, int light pack, lumbar, light/rain pack, folding/dimming mirrors, parking sensors, flat bottomed wheel
    '02 8L S3, Silver

Gooner4life

Status
    Just an update, Ive tried with a friends sandisk and it works fine.

I brought my card off Ebay, I thought I was buying from a Uk seller, when I enquired about sending the item back I was told to send it to US with tracking Info, that will cost me more than the card it self. I wont be buying another card from there again . I cant believe seller I used has more than 15000 feedback, Buy selling most likely counterfeit Items.

Thanks for your replies
    Last edited by showyS3; 21st July 2007 at 15:52.

4th Gear

Status
    Try Play.com or Amazon thats where I got mine from.

hfu
    Neutral

Status

max size, 2 or 4 GB

Can someone confirm exactly what the max size of memory card is?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hfu
    Can someone confirm exactly what the max size of memory card is?
    There is only a max file/folder limit of 512, no max card size limit.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandle
    There is only a max file/folder limit of 512, no max card size limit.
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. All memory card enabled devices have a limit to the capacity card they can read. I mainly use Sony memory stick and for example the PSP can handle up to 4GB until you get a firmware update. But a lot of stuff doesn't have the option to update firmware.

P.S. in case anyone is interested, external hard drives also have a file/folder number limit but it can be increased if it's a FAT file system by changing it to NTFS.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

6th Gear

Status
    There's an effective 4GB size limit as all cards larger than this are SD-HC, which the RNS-E won't read.

As for purchasing, memory cards are one thing you should never, ever buy off ebay, as I reckon over 90% of them are fakes.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1
    As for purchasing, memory cards are one thing you should never, ever buy off ebay, as I reckon over 90% of them are fakes.
    They still work ok!
    8P2 S3

6th Gear

Status
    I'm sure some of them do but a fair few will be inferior to what they're purporting to be. If they're dirt cheap and they work then it could well still be worth it, just saying that fake memory cards seem to be everywhere on ebay so caveat emptor.

1st Gear

Status
    Alot of the fake cards on ebay are actually much smaller cards relabled as a bigger size. They format them in a way to trick your computer into reading them as a bigger size. Sometimes you can copy data over fine, then 'poof' its gone when you put it back in. There is a article on ebay explaining the scam.
    Audi A3 2001 1.8T Black - Hyperboost DV, BMC Filter, Kicker 8" Sub in custom Stealth box.
    Manager of the AS fantasy football league "Super Hoops" ... come on you R's!!!

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bash_A3
    Alot of the fake cards on ebay are actually much smaller cards relabled as a bigger size. They format them in a way to trick your computer into reading them as a bigger size. Sometimes you can copy data over fine, then 'poof' its gone when you put it back in. There is a article on ebay explaining the scam.
    Linky please??

I got a 4GB card and I got 4GB of games on it for my PSP so I must have been lucky then.
    8P2 S3

Gooner4life

Status
    Hi everyone just an update, Ive just recieved a new sd card, and its still causing me problems. all the mp3 tracks work fine on the computer, I have reformated the cards to FAT, all it says when I load it is 193mb. This is the second card and this one is definately a genuine. Ive had my system replaced 2 weeks ago for a seperate problem so its all up to date.

Am I doing something wrong?

I reformated the card, I then drag all my mp3 Files on there, remove it from my computer and insert it.

Any help greatly appreciated, Ive spent the whole weekend trying to get this to work.

Thanks in advance

4th Gear

Status
    When loading the NAV shows my cards as the wrong size(the 2gb something like the 193mb you report). Are your sure your music files are mp3 and not wav, aac or some other compression format?

When inserted for the first time the card it can take a while to load the music tracks up, it comes up with some like "SD card 1 loading" while this is happening. Are you getting this far with yours?

Gooner4life

Status
    No mine doesnt say loading, Its a picture of an sd card with 193mb in th middle, when I try and select it I cant from the menu.

4th Gear

Status
    Are you clicking on "drive" to bring up the menu where you select which card or cd/dvd. Both slots should be shown inder the "dvd" option. Thats where you will see the cards loading. You cant select either one until "loading" has finished.

Gooner4life

Status
    Thanks for the info I'll give it a go
    Ive got it booked in at the dealer just in case anyway.

4th Gear

Status
    Did the cards work then?

S3-less untill December

Status
    what ar the sd cards for ? sat nav or summin ????

Gooner4life

Status
    No the cards havent worked, I have the car booked in next week I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the info

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by madalex
    what ar the sd cards for ? sat nav or summin ????
    You can store music mp3s on them and play it back through the RNS-E.

Reverse Gear

Status
    sorry to resurect this thread but im having the same problem. Placed 10 mp3 tracks on a Scandisk Ultra 2 4.0gb sd card, nothing at all being detected in either slot on the RNS-e? Tried a Sony 128mb card memory stick duo and again nothing happening?? Any ideas?

5th Gear

Status
    Maybe you could try formating the sd card on the pc?

Memory stick duo is different format to sd surely!
    E93 335i

Previous
    2010 R36 Saloon in Biscay Blue
    2008 Red S3
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro S-line Sportback dsg Avus silver
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro Sport Sportback dsg Black

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.2 Ju
    Maybe you could try formating the sd card on the pc?
    The first thing you should do with a new SD card is stick it in your PC and format it to FAT32 before copying any MP3 files to it.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    How do you do format it Dave?

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

cabriolet

Status
    to n8kow
    put it in your pc or pc reader and right click on it , then you will get the option to format.
    alot of times they have pre instored data on them the the rsn-e doesnt like.
    some cards have a tiny little switch on the side which is a lock, make sure this is in the off position before doing anything.
    if not, as others on here have said, check out amazon or play.com.
    play last week were doing 2gb for about 7.50 delivered,also aldi are also doing a 2gb card for 9.99.

all the best.
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the reply's guys and cheers Lea for the pm. I did reformat the two cards but still no joy, Im going to buy another SD card to make sure its not the cards that are causing trouble. What program are you guys using to rip your cds etc? Ive tried both on Windows Media Player in Vista and Apples itunes on an imac.

L60N
    I use itunes for all my music, mainly because it stores everything nicely and you can easily edit your info (tack #, name, album etc)

IMPORTANT! - If you are going to use itunes, go into preferences/advanced/importing, then select mp3 as the default import. If you dont do this, all your music will be downscaled to the dreaded AAC format! AAC is the default coding for apple music and wont work on anything but apple/itunes.

So in summary:

* google itunes
    * downlaod latest itunes programme
    * install it (makes sure u select NOT to search for music, you can do this yourself afterwards.
    * do as i said above from the edit tab within itunes, and change the default converter to mp3 (NOT AAC!!!)
    * then just put a CD in your PC tray, it will prompt u to import to itunes. Failing that, open itunes THEN put your CD in. The CD will pop up, then just tell it to import (if you have followed these steps you should easily get all your CDs on MP3 format and stored Nicely for you to add to your SD card.

Phew.... Did that make sense to anybody or just me
    Last edited by L60N; 28th January 2008 at 13:48.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast