S3 NOISES

stusav

Reaction score
Hi there i have just bought a new S3 back in march . Since then i have done 3000 miles in it . Recently the drivers side door has developed a creaking noise and so has the passenger side . The car is going back in to Audi to get this checked out . So iam just wondering if any other S3 owners have had this problem or any other problems since taking delivery of there S3. Any hints or whatever would be a big help to me

Thanks
Stusav

It's the creaky seal (the rubber bit between the door and the body) problem that affects lots of 3 door A3's.
It's being going on for a couple of years at least.
Do a search on here for various reports of 'cures'.
I seem to remember BMW silicon spray worked best,or something like that.

bowfer said:
It's the creaky seal (the rubber bit between the door and the body) problem that affects lots of 3 door A3's.
It's being going on for a couple of years at least.
Do a search on here for various reports of 'cures'.
I seem to remember BMW silicon spray worked best,or something like that.

Quite right, mine started after three weeks...the cure according to Audi is a lube on the tops of the door which they will provide when I book it in to have the other bits sorted...

Common A3 fault, sorry, feature. They all do it at some point. Remedies have been replaces seals, apply lubricant (both don't last as the noise comes back) and I have also read where the dealers bend the door a bit!

Welcome to the Audi premium car ownership experience.

PS it will be the rear seats that start rattling next...

Silicon is the enemy

BMW removed it's silicon based product for rubber lubrication and replaced it with a special grease that last a long time.

I use it, and it lasts until the car is polished badly with a silicon based polish. (normally not by me ;) )

The solution is a two step process,
1, Remove the silicon with BMW silicon remover (a bottle cost about £1.50) from the rubber seals, basically clean them. Use the silicon remover neat on the seals, using a clean cloth.
2, Apply Carbaflo KSP105 to the seals and allow it to dry (this is expensive, £30 ish BMW part no. 83 23 0 309 627) you could apply it to 50 cars, or 1 car 50 times.

This removes the creaky seals noise (assuming you find the right seal) for about 4-5 months.

My march 07 SB, started creaking after 2 weeks, I applied Carbaflo, and my car might need another application soon. We also had a creak with our A2, this solved it for over a year before it returned. I have been using this solution for a couple of years on various makes of car and it works a treat.

Chris.

HeliChris said:
My march 07 SB, started creaking after 2 weeks,

That's the first time I've heard of a Sportback suffering from this !?
I thought it was peculiar to the 3 door and was caused by the larger doors 'flexing' aganst the body.
If it applies to the SB too,then it would appear this is one fault my partiular car DOESN'T suffer from ! ;-0
My flabber has never been so gasted...

bowfer said:
That's the first time I've heard of a Sportback suffering from this !?
I thought it was peculiar to the 3 door and was caused by the larger doors 'flexing' aganst the body.
If it applies to the SB too,then it would appear this is one fault my partiular car DOESN'T suffer from ! ;-0
My flabber has never been so gasted...

I agree, think it would be worse in the 3 door, but it's pressent (or was) in my SB.

I have it on my Sportback as well. Its very quiet and I only notice it when performing very low speed manouvers. Has not bothered me enough so far to do anything about it.

Am I the only that hasn't suffered from any squeaks rattles or rolls???

Mine is a 54 reg 3 door and i have yet to notice any squeaks or rattles (touch wood)

I doubt there such a thing as completely rattle/squeak free A3,or any other car for that matter.
We just have different tolerances to noises.
I can happily put up with a toddler's buggy rattling and banging around the boot,for example,but the slightest buzz/rattle from the dash will drive (sic) me nuts !

bowfer said:
I doubt there such a thing as completely rattle/squeak free A3,or any other car for that matter.
We just have different tolerances to noises.
I can happily put up with a toddler's buggy rattling and banging around the boot,for example,but the slightest buzz/rattle from the dash will drive (sic) me nuts !

Well not completely I guess but if my 27 year old ears can't hear it then I'm pretty sure noone else could either.

I've had 3 A3's to date and have yet to suffer from any squeaks or rattles and believe me I am one fussy owner, the previous A4 had horrendous noise from its CC fans so much so I rarely used it on Auto, I've had both a mk5 Gti and a 2006 Jetta that both suffered from rattles and excessive windnoise, guess it depends how well the car is built on the day, I too have only done 2,700 miles in the S3 to date so fingers crossed .

thanks for all your help guys . just spoke with my mate from audi . so now he knows what to do when i take the car in tomorrow . fingers crossed it goes well . cheers stuasav