S3 turbo kick, high revs

AL_B

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Has anyone else experienced this...

Accelerate to quite high revs, say 4500/5000 rpm, hold the throttle for a few moments, then floor it, then there's a split-second pause, then the turbo/boost kicks, but kicks in strong. Like you've just lit the fuse paper and the rocket has ignited!

It's the way and the strength that it kicks in that's got me curious. To me it feels like a switch!! Anyone else experience this?

I'm also wondering if the length of pause (or perhaps lag, or perhaps even hesitation?) is anything to worry about. God knows, I had enough problems on my 8L S3 with hesitation, I hope this one isn't going the same way.

Cheers

AL

I remember reading, may have been on here, that cars are now fly by wire on the accelerator because they can force that small delay when you suddenly push the pedal. They do it to reduce emmissions. Can't remember the science behind though it sorry.

perhaps to eliminate accidental stabs of the throttle (from going over severe bumps) resulting in a jerky ride and more emissions as mentioned above.... complete stab in the dark, but kind of makes sense!

yep yep quite normal - the higher the rpm is held - the more "lag" you'll have when punching the throttle. Boost isn't directly linked to the rpm like that , you need load to spool the turbo.

Yep, seems to be quite normal. Tried it on mine also and the same.. :)

Even a gradual build in acceleration as opposed to a mash throttle into floor shows the same behaviour :cool:

-Sal-

Same here, love it, tends to make me swear in a good way :)

Along the lines of " Oh fiddlesticks this blighter is fast !!!"