what bhp

chrischal

Reaction score
hi geat fourm just in the process of buying a A3 quattro was going down the route of 3.2 but have been scaring myself with fuel bills so looking more twards the 2.0tdi quattro in a 3 door what bhp would an 05 plate be 140bhp or 170bhp any easy wasy to tell? many thanks chris

it will be a 140 bhp 170 did not come out until last year think sept 06. Plus the 170 has tailpipes like the 2.0T and the 140 has pipes that point down.

Look at the engine plate or inside the owner's manual.
It'll say "103 KW"
103KW (kilowatts) is 140 bhp.

As stated above,it can't be the 170 on an 05 plate,but as well checking it's the 140 and someone isn't trying to palm you off with the older 1.9tdi engine !

I would go for the 140 TDI and get a Superchips Bluefin, as there much easier to get hold of second hand.

as the 170 TDI's are expensive, and ive heard poor reports from some people, like the heavy fuel consumption (for a diesel) and the intermitant "transit van noise" and problems with the DPF catching fire, after remaps.

But saying that somepeople have no probelms at all with there 170 TDI

but its always the same when a new car or engine comes out, it takes around 12 months for the manufactuers/suppliers to iron out the bumps in production.

Oil cap is off to the left also on 170 rather than in middle

i wouldnt consider a quattro unless it had big power or i lived in the alps or something

the quattro is wasted on the 140 and 170 derv engines imo - there is up it or around a 25% power sap because of the quattro

my friend looked into getting a 170 quattro and he swore my 140bhp non quattro was better!

in my opinion i would go for a 140PD and if you want more power, get a remap - which will see it up to 185 or there abouts!

i agree - quattro - waste of time on anything with less than silly power - well over 200bhp as so much is lost through the transmission - its like your choosing to have a 200bhp car then paying to have it reduced to 150bhp! - think id rather save the cash and buy a 150bhp car in the first place if thats the case!

steve184 said:
i agree - quattro - waste of time on anything with less than silly power - well over 200bhp as so much is lost through the transmission - its like your choosing to have a 200bhp car then paying to have it reduced to 150bhp! - think id rather save the cash and buy a 150bhp car in the first place if thats the case!

I think the 170 would be better with quattro. My 170 a4 spins like mad in the wet and a good deal of throttle control is needed to keep moving! It's not really about the power, more about the torque IMO.

nah i don't think its really that necessary, defo not in the dry anyway. Id much prefer to have 160bhp through the front wheels than 75bhp through each axle.

I just don't think its really that necessary until you are way over 200bhp (i'm sure it still has its advantages in certain conditions but those are minimal until you have more power)

Boydie said:
there is up it or around a 25% power sap because of the quattro

i think this comes from old hearsay. when 4wd cars first came into the mainstream and were on rolling roads, you right that they posted lower numbers with the transmission taking the blame.

However, on the road,they were comparable with cars having hgher bhp rolling road figures. People failed to take into consideration the energy taken up by the spinning 4 wheels. That is why they were equal in rea life, but lower on rolling roads.