2.0TFSi query

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
Anyone who has a 2.0TFSi, have you ever tried to rev it when its in neutral? Mine wont rev above 4k.. gets kinda a misfire and sticks at 4k...

Might be because it is a DSG, but just wanted to see if anyone elses is the same....

Mine revs way past 4k when the cars stationary. Not that ive done it that often tough.

DSG should have nothing to do with it unless you trying to rev it over 4k with it in D and the handbrake on.lol

Thanks... It's kinda odd though cos when its in gear it's fine. Just in "N" it wont go above 4k. Doesn't seem like it's a misfire, though, there is a few pops as it reaches 4k and then a sort of misfire, but when its at 4k, it seems fine.

Only reason I thought it may be to do with DSG is that it could be linked to the launch control system in some way.

Anyone else care to try it?

but launch control is only acive in S? my TDI will rev to redline in N (its DSG too) so dont think its the DSG gearbox stopping it.

steve184 said:
but launch control is only acive in S? my TDI will rev to redline in N (its DSG too) so dont think its the DSG gearbox stopping it.

My previous TDi would rev all the way too...

Launch control in mine can actually be used in S and "Manual" modes...

Funny thing is, it will rev to the redline in P, but not in N. I am pretty sure this is a DSG thing, just need to find another 2.0T DSG owner to try it out...

I have a 2.0t dsg, mine goes up to red in neutral, which i found out by mistake when trying to pull away from lights quickly, wow that didnt work :)

not reccomended but it is possible.

Also, mine is an 05 model, i didnt think i had launch control??? i thought that was only on the 3.2 v6?

ive not tried in mine but i did give it a go in a friends, same model, remove esp and hold brake then accelerator then let go of brake, in s mode??? just wheel span a lot.

Long time viewer, first time poster....

I have an MY07 2.0 TFSI with S tronic. It behaves in the same way - only revs up to 4k rpm in neutral. I like you assumed this was something to do with protecting the S tronic/DSG.

I understood LC has always been available on the 2.0 TFSI S tronic. It was not available on the diesels till recently though (170 TDI I think).

can anyone confirm or deny this? KRL have you used it in yours? i was convinced it was TT and A3 3.2 only....

ill be leaving work early if its on mine! :D

mrsteve said:
can anyone confirm or deny this? KRL have you used it in yours? i was convinced it was TT and A3 3.2 only....

I've used it 3-4 times on mine. Its good fun although I don't use it very often through fear of causing some damage. Also there is a slight delay between the time you let go of the break and when the car actually launches which can be a little frustrating.

Give it a go :weight_lift2:

mrsteve said:

Yes, I can also confirm that mine has it - and that it works in both "S" and "Manual" (+/-) although the manual states only "S".

You can tell the difference between LC and no LC - if LC is enabled then when you floor the throttle, the car does not try to drive against the brakes, if it does then stop immediately because you are burning out your DSG clutches.

It's a fun gimmick, but as has been said, without Quattro all you really get is a lot of wheelspin and a delay before you start moving....

DSG + Quattro is still only available on the 3.2 :(

How did you get on mrsteve?

Yes, still no DSG and Quattro unless you have a 3.2, if it was available I would have got both - I need auto for the mrs (she's American = can't drive properly) and would love quattro....

Well, different, im unsure whether LC is quicker in S mode than manually trying to control the car in S mode or not.

I think the next trip to santa pod will have to decide that, (August the something)

I also find that if i have the DIS set to display MPG i drive a lot softer... i owned a 2.0TDI before this and can see my wallet getting thinner everytime i put it in s mode :)

also i ended up installing a blackberry/exchange server last week so no leaving work early.

The restriction on revs must be an 06 onwards thing as mine definitely revs past 4 in neutral (tho not making a habbit of trying)

I know what you mean, it could be quicker by just sticking the car in S, holding it on the brake and then flooring it when the lights change.

The problem with LC is the 0.5 second delay when releasing the brake to the time you launch. This will make it very difficult at Santa Pod because you will have to try and predict when the lights will change 0.5 seconds before they do to try and get a launch without a large delay in reaction time.

Has anybody done some comparisons of LC v No LC?