Chris NottVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

Question Scratches 'n' tyres 'n' things

Hi all.

Just back from a foray into Wales. Was cleaning the car last night and noticed some light scraches on the passenger door just above, and below, the trim line. I'm pretty certain these came from a brush with some foliage on one of the many narrow banked lanes I had to negotiate. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can remove said marks, as I want to give the car a polish this weekend ( if the damn weather allows )

Also, and I apologies if this debate has been visited before, but what are your views on directional tread tyres versus assimetric ones ? Gonna need new rubber soon, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Cheers.
    Last edited by Neil C; 13th July 2007 at 22:41.
    2004 (54) A3 Sportback TDi Sport Liquid Blue

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Depends what you have, I would try some Meguairs Stage1 cleaner on it, then polish, then wax. I would not use Tcut at all!
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

1st Gear

Status
    You can get the Megs ScratchX for small scratchs not sure how good it is though.
    Si

2009-Current | Porsche Boxster 2.7

2007-2009 | Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line

2005-2007 | Audi A3 1.6FSI Sport

5th Gear

Status
    ScratchX is superb! although can only get them out if they very light surface scratches - however even deeper ones it will still 'round-off' the sharp edges so the light doesn't catch it the same.

Neutral

Status
    Have tried ScratchX and, although the marks have not entirely disappeared, you would have to know where to look to see them.

Thanks guys
    2004 (54) A3 Sportback TDi Sport Liquid Blue

GreasedMonkey HoofHearted

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil C
    Also, and I apologies if this debate has been visited before, but what are your views on directional tread tyres versus assimetric ones ? Gonna need new rubber soon, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated
    What boots do you have at the moment? What are your personal opinions of them. How do you drive? On what kind of roads do you drive on? And what specifically are you after by changing your tyres?

If you give us some more detail, then I can offer a better, considered reply?
    Sean - Independent Motor Vehicle Technician (retd)
    ------
    2007 Audi B7 (8EC) RS4 quattro saloon 4.2 FSI V8 32v (BNS) (with ceramic brakes ) - V-max = 9.8mpg @ 172 mph - WOW
    2006/7 VW A5 (1K) Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr 2.0T FSI (BWA) DSG, fully loaded, colour coded,
    1998/9 Honda CBR600FX - the blueberry trifle

2003 Audi B6 (8E) S4 quattro saloon 4.2 V8 40v (BBK) 6sp man, fully loaded (gone, but not forgotten)

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    It depends what you want to do. Do you want to remove the scratches or fill them?

Removing scratches can be very difficult and they will generally need machine polishing for anything more than a very fine scratch.

I would give something like AutoGlym SRP as it contains filling properties to hide light scratches and swirls.
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech