will this void my warranty?

spencerjoel

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im due to take delivery of my new S-Line A3 in a few weeks!!! Woohooo!!!

One of the first things that I plan to do is retrofit an RNS-e and maybe bluetooth module, but there is no way Im gonna pay Audi over 2k for the privelidge!!

If I was to retrofit, or even get a suitable company to carry out the work is this likely to affect my warranty, and are Audi likely to pick-up on it when I take it for a service as the car wasn't spec'ed to have these facilities?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

I doubt a dealer would pick up on it.

As far as voiding your warranty then I doubt it but it depends on how arsey your dealer is. I think you really just have to be sensible. If for example you try and get a warranty claim over a rattling dash after you've fitted the unit yourself then prepare to be disappointed.

They will not cover it and you might even have problems if you where to trade the car in to a Audi dealer within the first 3 years as they would have to cover it if they sold it on. Like Rich said, if you have any problems say with electrics they might try and cry off that it was caused by the NAV, after all they are a bunch of total hunts

cheers for the replies guys,
That sounds sensible that as long as its not a warranty claim that involves that area then all should be cool, and Im sure that I could always temporarily replace it if that area did become a problem.
My main concern was that they would totally right off the warranty for any claim just because this unit was not 'Factory Spec'

Has anybody on here fitted a Nav unit to a within warranty car and had it mentioned by their dealer?

d3fy said:
They will not cover it and you might even have problems if you where to trade the car in to a Audi dealer within the first 3 years as they would have to cover it if they sold it on. Like Rich said, if you have any problems say with electrics they might try and cry off that it was caused by the NAV, after all they are a bunch of total hunts

I traded my 170 TDI in against a new TT and the dealer didn't say anything. The A3 originally had a single DIN Concert, I converted it to double DIN and put in an ebay RNS-E. The dash couldn't have been more different from factory spec. Either they didn't check, or they weren't bothered.

I also got the update to the 2007 DVD set FOC under warranty as well. Again, nothing said.

I won't be retro-fitting one in the TT though. Apart from them being scarce with the correct facia, I didn't think the RNS-E was that good. Lesson learned!

Also note that after retrofitting the RNS-E, you should get it coded via VAG-COM - this makes your install look more like it came out of the factory. And for the perfect OE retrofit, you ought to add the sharkfin antenna.

I've actually done neither of these things since my install, but then again my warranty expires in October ...

i doubt they wil hav a problem with it since it wil be audi original parts - its only non-audi approved accessories and modifications you would have a problem with, as per the instruction manual

I'd be interested to hear why you didn't rate the RNS-e...

PJLarge said:
I traded my 170 TDI in against a new TT and the dealer didn't say anything. The A3 originally had a single DIN Concert, I converted it to double DIN and put in an ebay RNS-E. The dash couldn't have been more different from factory spec. Either they didn't check, or they weren't bothered.

I also got the update to the 2007 DVD set FOC under warranty as well. Again, nothing said.

I won't be retro-fitting one in the TT though. Apart from them being scarce with the correct facia, I didn't think the RNS-E was that good. Lesson learned!

I got the information from another post where the guy went to trade it in agaist something else at the stealer, they picked up on the RNSE as being added and told him that it would need to be removed before they would except the car in P/X, guess like all stealers some will do somethings and some will not

d3fy said:
I got the information from another post where the guy went to trade it in agaist something else at the stealer, they picked up on the RNSE as being added and told him that it would need to be removed before they would except the car in P/X, guess like all stealers some will do somethings and some will not
Yes I remember this post as well. Some eagled-eyed salesmen would spot it, others just don't know enough about the RNS-E really.