Strange S3 noise from engine

showyS3

Gooner4life
Reaction score
Today for the first time I heard the engine running from outside the car, and to me my car sounds a bit strange you can hear something similar to a ticking noise or something similar from the engine.

I wanted to know if this was quite normal and if anyone else noticed it, Im going to the dealer soon will have them look at it.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Just a guess here but most probably the fuel injectors which is quite normal on new cars :)

They tend to be noticeable when the car is parked in a quiet area ...

OR this could be the gastly tfsi noise that some people get and others don't.

Pretty sure all TFSI get the ticking sound, not loud but present all the same, mine does it as did my GTi with the same lump.

showyS3 said:
Today for the first time I heard the engine running from outside the car, and to me my car sounds a bit strange you can hear something similar to a ticking noise or something similar from the engine.

I wanted to know if this was quite normal and if anyone else noticed it, Im going to the dealer soon will have them look at it.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

It's the high pressure FSI system. We ALL get it, but people describe it with varying degrees of loudness although I highly suspect it sounds the same on everyone's.

If you open the bonnet and put your ear to the front of the engine you will actually hear the clicking coming from the fuel rail.

wish my car had a 'strange S3' noise! ;-)

s3rob said:
If you open the bonnet and put your ear to the front of the engine you will actually hear the clicking coming from the fuel rail.

Think it's the actual high pressure fuel pump that is driven off of the intake camshaft via a double cam.

s3rob said:
I highly suspect it sounds the same on everyone's.

I'm willing to let anyone come and compare theirs to mine if they think it's not loud.