Volks AutosEM Tuning
    3rd Gear

Status

2006 A3 2.0T S-Line Quattro owners, I need your help!

I thought I’d use the power of the internet and more specifically Tyresmoke and Audi-Sport to get some answers regarding the ongoing argument with Audi over my noisy suspension.

In a nutshell I need to meet someone in the Sheffield area (sooner rather than later) and drive their car. I’d also want them to drive mine.

Just to recap, I get a soft ‘knock, knock, knock’ from the rear suspension on anything but the smoothest surfaces. It’s not done it from new but made itself known over about the last six months, it also seems to be getting worse. I’ve just got off the phone with the workshop manager at my local dealers and even though he admits that the noise on mine is particularly bad and quite unacceptable, all A3s of this type do it to some degree. He has reported all this to Audi and they have categorically said that the matter is closed. They’ve changed the rear dampers under warranty, the noise is still there, no revised parts are available so tough basically. It’s an ‘operational’ noise and a ‘comfort’ issue so get used to it.

Now I’m fairly sure that if all A3 S-Line Quattros made this noise I might have read about it hence the appeal for help. Even if you can’t help directly does your car do this?

Cheers

A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line

Gone...and quite quickly forgotten

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I'll meet up with you mate, drop me a PM
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

VOIP Dude

Status
    Doesn't your dealer have another car for you to drive? With the tech/workshop manager in the car, then drive yours so they can see the difference?

Or try another dealer. play one against the other, and see if they will help you out.
    Spence

Gone at 80k: 2007 A3 Sportback 2.0T S-Line S-Tronic Mauritius Blue
    (4 S-Tronic boxes, 3 Mechatronics Units, 2 Dual Mass flywheels, 2 sets of engine mounts)
    Gone at 32k: 2005 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 140 S-Line DSG
    Ebony Black

3rd Gear

Status
    @ d3fy,

Cheers. I was hoping you'd spot this. I'll PM you in a sec.

@ OutLore,

I guess they may have another car but as I said, the workshop manager (and one of their master techs btw) isn't denying the noise is there. If he's being honest with me then what he is saying is that their hands are tied by Audi. Or rather that there's no point spending further time on a 'they all do that Sir' issue. The whole situation is quite surreal.

6th Gear

Status
    mine doesn't suffer from this problem.

Third Gear

Status
    Mine never did it, niether does the S3. Did you buy it new ?
    I would drop it at the dealer and tell them they have a week to fix it, if not a refund in full please.
    Not acceptable by any means, an Audi is supposed to be a quality item and that is why you pay the premium.

As outlaw said it may be worth trying another dealer or contact Audi customer services.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

Sunday Driver

Status
    I'd be happy to meet up also, then perhaps someone can tell me if my clutch is dodgy too.
    2006 A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line SE, Silver, Xenons, Symphony II, Bose Sound System, Interior Lighting Package, Light & Rain Sensor Pack, Non-smoking Pack, Heated Seats, Auto-folding Mirrors, Full Leather, Dension ICE Link Plus

1st Gear

Status
    Nearly a year of dodgy Scottish B-roads and cobbled Edinburgh streets - no noise at all.
    2.0T FSi quattro Sline - Lava Grey
    Bose/Symphony

1st Gear

Status
    Without trying ot be a smartass, have you checked that the spare wheel is bolted down securely and there are no loose objects in the spare wheel well?
    2.0T FSi quattro Sline - Lava Grey
    Bose/Symphony

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by funguf
    I'd be happy to meet up also, then perhaps someone can tell me if my clutch is dodgy too.

Mini Meet then? What area are you in Funguf?

Sunday Driver

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by d3fy
    Mini Meet then? What area are you in Funguf?
    Ecclesall Road, about 10 mins walk from Richs' place of work
    2006 A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line SE, Silver, Xenons, Symphony II, Bose Sound System, Interior Lighting Package, Light & Rain Sensor Pack, Non-smoking Pack, Heated Seats, Auto-folding Mirrors, Full Leather, Dension ICE Link Plus

5th Gear

Status
    Rich pipe up then, where do you want to meet, some where off the parkway would be good for me? Morrisons at the end (Catcliffe)?

Unless you just want to sort it with Funguf if it easier with him being nearer?

Sunday Driver

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by d3fy
    Rich pipe up then, where do you want to meet, some where off the parkway would be good for me? Morrisons at the end (Catcliffe)?

Unless you just want to sort it with Funguf if it easier with him being nearer?
    I'm easy, up to Rich really...I was planning to go up and see him tomorrow (Wed) but we could still meet up and nit pick eachothers cars. I'd like to see how fast a bluefinned A3 is ^^

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah no problem, I would like to know how much faster it is than a normal 2.0T

3rd Gear

Status
    Right guys. Sorry for the delays. Just to let you know, I work for a cleaning company. With that spot of rain we had the other week everything is a little manic

Anyhoo...

d3fy, I PM'd you to say it was at your convenience. You were doing me the favour after all. And funguf may be calling me today, I gave him my mobile. As it is, a trip out with funguf may be all I can manage at the moment as we're up in Scotland for a few days from tomorrow. Knock, knock, knock all the way to Islay... If I don't hear from either of you then I'll get back in touch early next week. Thanks again for the offers.
    Last edited by rich1068; 11th July 2007 at 09:09.

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks to Fung for popping round today.

The upshot is that his car does it too but much more faint, hardly noticable in fact. I hate to say it but the dealer chap may be right. Mine may be particularly bad but on todays evidence it appears this is a model wide issue. Where I go from here I have no idea.

3rd Gear

Status
    Silence is golden

Koni FSDs fitted this morning.

Sunday Driver

Status
    Did it work?

3rd Gear

Status
    Sure did. Quite impressed with the ride too. Definitely goes into waft-o-matic mode on the motorway but handling sharpens up when you need it too.

Sunday Driver

Status
    How much that set u back?

3rd Gear

Status
    Ł540 with the fitting and wheel alignment. Company car though so....

Actually now I've driven it a little more I'll qualify my earlier remark. It's not soft it's just not as 'crashy' round the very poor Sheffield roads. Take it somewhere where you know you need a firm set up and the handling remains the same as always. I'm really rather impressed.