Need help with pics of steering wheel and airbag

moogie

Reaction score
This may be a bit of an unusual request, but I'd need help with pictures of A3 steering wheels with the airbag removed, and also of the rear side of the airbag itself. These would need to be from the basic steering wheels without any multi-function buttons or DSG paddles.

The reason I am asking this is that it seems that Audi has at some point (apparently around Jun/05) changed the airbag design. I've got a Jan/05 build, so I have the older model. However, I've recently got my hands on a newer multi-function steering wheel, which I'd like to upgrade to, but unfortunately my old airbag doesn't fit. Buying a new airbag would be way too expensive, so I've been wondering if I could swap my old S-line sport steering wheel + airbag with someone who has just a basic steering wheel (but newer). To be able to offer this, I would ofcourse need to first know if the newer airbags all have the same design, or is it only these "advanced" models.

So if you happen to have a late 05 or newer A3, have a basic steering wheel (3- or 4-spoke does not matter), and have (or would be able to take) pictures of the inside of the steering wheel with the airbag removed, this would help *a lot*. Writing down the part numbers at the same time would be of additional help.

Thanks!

Ok, took some pictures of the old and new if that would make comparing a bit easier:

steeringwheels-inside.jpg

Old one on the left, new one on the right. As can be seen, the new one has the mounting points slightly elevated from the bottom, unlike the old one.

Anyone out there able to lend a hand? Pretty please? :)

Cannot help with any photos I'm afraid as my A3 is a 2007 A3 Sportback with a DSG so it has the paddles fitted.

But here are some links to the pages in the ETKA parts catalogue showing the steering wheels for up to the end of the 05 model year and for the 06 model year onwards.

Hope these are some help, at least for part numbers. Be careful if you start doing anything with the airbag units. The workshop manual is full of warnings about the possibility of setting them off by accident!

steering wheel 05
steering wheel 06
airbag 05
airbag 06

Thanks Dave. I should have mentioned that I have access to ETKA (although you seem to have a newer revision).

The problem with ETKA is that it doesn't really show if the 4 airbag units for 06 steering wheels are interchangeable. Or at least I can't see this. It's possible that the changes between the 4 units are simply cosmetic, or have something to do with the wiring. Physical fit is however something that I'd need to confirm visually.