Wiring to the Ignition

A5GUR

Reaction score
Is there anywhere near the front fogs a wire linked to the ignition. Ive bought some lights for the front, and i want them wired to the ignition. Just wondering what the easiest way is.

what sort of lights and how do you want to control them?

Im not sure if anybody has seen the new 997 turboor s6 at night. But they have these awesome looking white LED's around the foglight area. Im hoping to get the same sort of set up. I know there is a danger of it looking chav, bu if done correctly i reckon it will look very oem. Im going to fit them to either side of the bumper on the mesh above the fogs. And wired to the ignition so they light up when i start the car. thanks

I wouldn't power any lights directly from existing wiring as you may overload the cable. Much better to find any ignition switched live at the fuse box and use that to switch a relay to provide power to your new lights. Any cheap accessory relay will do. Make sure the cable you use for the wiring is rated high enough to carry the load and make sure you protect you new circuit via a suitable fuse. I would also install an inline switch just in case you want to turn the new lights off when driving.

I wanted to do a similar thing to my old fiesta si a few years back.

Are these ready made or are you going to buy the LEDs yourself? LED's are very low current so I would recommend taking a feed from your sidelight circuit (please do not used those blue plastic things, they're very dodgy).

If you want to do it properly you need to find out the rating on the cable for the sidelights and the fuse that powers them then work out if there's enough to spare. There should be.

If you want to bodge it fit it anyway and then leave the lights on for a while and see if the cable going to the sidelights gets warm at all. Even a slight heat is a bad sign.

If you want the simplest suggestion take the side light bulbs out.