Badger5Chris Nott
    4th Gear

Status

Tyre place kerbed my alloy!!!!

Thats sickening, already bad luck that a nail got into the tyre and I had to pay them Ł90 for a new one. Then later discovered they'd kerbed it..
    I'm so bloody careful and those b******* couldn't care less.
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Who did you use? Go back and complain. I always use Dexel at Attercliffe
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

4th Gear

Status
    Hawleys near psalter lane. They'll never believe me anyways now- i really am gutted though, especially when you've paid for something you needed-
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

5th Gear

Status
    i had that at Kwik Fit, they scuffed 2 freshly refurbed alloys putting new tyres on. they wouldn't do anything until i started telling customers what they'd done. after a brief discussion where i pointed out to the manager i had four days a week where i could stand outside and advise people of their shoddy service he agreed to pay for them repairing.

i make no apologies for naming and shaming because 2 weeks after that experience the wife took her car in as the exhaust was blowing and it was the nearest place to where it began, they told her it needed a new cat at £200. she declined their offer and limped the car home, i fixed it by replacing 3 bolts that had snapped through corrosion.

i always use a particular branch of National now but only because i know the guys who work there who are all enthusiasts and i trust them.

in my experience too many of these places are manned by people who just don't care with managers who are just out to maximise profits by expoiting those who don't have enough experience to know better.
    Dave

"If that's the Turbo Fairy knocking tell Her I'm not in"

Neutral

Status
    Yes bet your gutted, I recently had 4 done at Selecta Tyre, had the car a year and touch wood, not a scuff yet.

Told them that i'd inspected them prior, and I cleaned them so that they could see they were perfect, and said if there is one scratch on them after I will be charging them for a new wheel.

The lad I spoke to said ' I'm not touching them then, i'll butcher them', so I insisted the dealership Manager did them!
    Just shows you tho, if i'd not have said anything, that little scrote would have happily gone and wrecked em
    Audi A3 2.0T Quattro S-line, 06/06, Black/Black Heated Leather, SatNav, Xenons, Folding Mirrors, Cruise, P/Sensors etc

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sat1983
    Hawleys near psalter lane.
    I'm surprised. They're normally very good. I'd still go down and have a word, you've nothing to lose.

o/t

Always amazes me how much damage can be done with those air gun things. For normal servicing JBS in Chesterfield have one with a plastic sleeve so wheels aren't damaged and they don't even change tyres. But I've never seen a tyre fitting shop with one, they prefer the all metal alloy chewers.

A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line

Gone...and quite quickly forgotten

6th Gear

Status
    Might sound paranoid but after National tyres butchered one of my A4 alloys I now take phone pictures of my wheels in the place,right before they fit them.
    Try arguing with a picture of a mint alloy in their workshop !
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

5th Gear

Status
    Bit OTT. might try it next time
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

5th Gear

Status
    OTT gets results though. And so does money - last time i had a puncture repaired i offered the guy an extra tenner to take twice as long to do the job, ie, take his time and not damage the wheel. Got it back and the front of the wheel was fine apart from some rubber marks which polished off - oh and they did scratch inside a bit where they took the old weights off but i wasn't too bother about that cos it was not really easily visible.

Top Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steve184
    OTT gets results though. And so does money - last time i had a puncture repaired i offered the guy an extra tenner to take twice as long to do the job, ie, take his time and not damage the wheel. Got it back and the front of the wheel was fine apart from some rubber marks which polished off - oh and they did scratch inside a bit where they took the old weights off but i wasn't too bother about that cos it was not really easily visible.
    You shouldn't have to bribe to get the job done properly really though!
    A4 2.0TDI 170 S-Line. Dolphin Grey. Symphony II+, Bose, Int Light Pack, Centre Armrest, Cruise.

5th Gear

Status
    No course not! i agree! But in this day and age it seems necessary unless you want to play the 'wheel lottery' in which case there are more losers than winners! I'd rather pay an extra fiver or tenner and save the arguing about a knackered wheel!

4th Gear

Status
    The point about taking a photo is actually quite a good one. Possibly a bit OTT and has the potential of pissing the fitter off.

I recently had the front tires on A3 changed and insisted that the fitter documented any current damage to the alloys (there was none) before he started working on the car. Didn't have a problem doing this and fitted the tires without any damage what so ever.

I think it's worth doing this as it makes it clear to everyone that you are watching. It's also fair on the fitter as you can't blame them for any damage already on the alloy.
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

4th Gear

Status
    How I wish I'd have started this thread before I had the tyre changed.
    They've butchered it more than I even thought, it's kerbed in 2 places on the wheel. Makes me so bloody angry-
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R