S3 Got Some Competition...(?)

emzino

Reaction score
Taken from PistonHeads, seems like BMW are going to release the newly designed 1Series and the looks isn't the only thing it's getting...

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=16432

But its looks are just the start of the story as BMW engineers have managed to squeeze in the fantastic 3.0 straight six, twin turbo engine from the 335i. This means 306hp in a car weighing only 1560kg. Rapid then? Well how about a top speed of 155mph and the 0-60 sprint taking only 5.3 seconds- exactly the same as an M3 CSL.

http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/16432/37597-L.jpgTwin turbo? Ouch :whip:

Yeah this was on the BMW web site a few days back, but was pulled again.

135i and 123d.

The 135 sounds like a real great bit of kit, journos will love it because its rear wheel driver and BMW.

Bloke at work has a 130 and he cant evenkeep that on the road around damp MK roundabouts.....

I hope this goes in the 1 series 3-door.

Approx 1480kg and chipped up to 360bhp. Wow!

Tell me about it. I still can't get over the fact that it's gonna have a twin turbo in it. Worrying :(

Hmm i'm not too sure on the looks. It seems to be a bit 'squashed' if you know what i mean.

Bet it will be pricey too. The current 130i is priced similarly to the S3, so i gues this will be even more expensive, and don't forget it is the bottom-of-the-rung BWM in terms of model.

AL_B said:
That will be one rapid car. But will take some skill to get all that power down in the wet though.
Absolutely. The S3 will still be faster round a track because it can use all the power.

I'm not surprised BMW are doing this to the 1-series. According to a recent article in Autocar, 1-series sales are extremely flat. They need a couple of halo models to increase interest.

benw123 said:
Absolutely. The S3 will still be faster round a track because it can use all the power.

Only in the wet you mean right?

It wont matter what engine they stick in it, it'll still look awful :lmfao: