Milltek and TDI

B

Boydie

does anyone on here have the resonated system (quieter one) on their 2.0tdi? cat back?

I am in two minds about getting one!

I have a Revo remap planned very soon so will I see any gains with this cat-back system?

I can get the exhaust for £375 delivered and later in the future I can add the down pipe etc...

what is the general opinion?

thanks

I had the complete turbo back non-resonated one on my previous A3 - noise isn't a problem even at cruising speeds. Regarding gains I'm not sure you would notice a great difference without changing the down pipe as well, with the complete system the car noticeably 'breathes' better with the car feeling more eager to rev with a better top end but performance gains aren't massive - I changed more for cosmetic reasons as I like the look of the 2.0T style pipes but the sound was much improved as well - although not loud by any means it was a deeper more petrol like sound under hard accelaration.

I'd do the same mod again with another 2.0tdi and here in the UK with a little shopping around you can get the complete system for £525 inc fitting.

If you need any more info let me know.

sound advice lad thanks

so you had the louder exhaust?

i too mainly am looking cosmetic changes and milltek ticks the right boxes

fitting isnt a problem so do you think £375 is a good deal for the more expensive exhaust for the tdi?

£375 seems a fair price, the down pipe is generally an additional £90 so allowing £50 for fitting this is about the same as what I was quoted after much shopping around. If for purely cosmetic reasons have you thought about having just the pipes replaced, I would have thought a powerflow agent could remove the standard Audi ones and replace with 2.0T style chromed tips, they would have to be welded on but this may be an option and would probably only run to approx £100 inc labour ?

I am curious to know what the non-reasonated sounds like, other than "more petrol like"

It seems very generic and have never had any emails back regarding the sound difference. Nor have I found any videos to support it.

Only planning a Miltek and ECU Remap (TBC) for the 2.0TDI 140. So want to make the right choices :yes:

if i decide on a miltek it will def be the quieter one but i am sure it will have some note

The quieter one is more expensive hence why I'm wondering if the cheaper non-reasonated:

a.) Is it really going to be that noticable?
b.) Is it going to sound more petrol like?
c.) Is it going to be less restricted?

Crisis said:
The quieter one is more expensive hence why I'm wondering if the cheaper non-reasonated:

a.) Is it really going to be that noticable?
b.) Is it going to sound more petrol like?
c.) Is it going to be less restricted?
The non-resonated you would assume should be slightly less restrictive due to the absence of an additional silencer, apparently no real difference in sound except quieter under hard load.

Either example will still sound like a diesel on tickover from the front of the car but will emitt a nice deeper tone at the rear, I know I and many others had exactly the same reservations when selecting the exhaust but evreybody I spoke to ended up having the non-resonated as it really isn't 'loud' at all, the car only sounds less diesel like under hard accelaration when it does sound quite fruity, the last thing I wanted was a 'boy-racer' type exhaust as I'm far too old for that plus IMO they sound crap, the only other sound difference is the sound of the turbo spooling up which becomes louder but again not noticeably so to an unfamiliar ear, try viewing mkivs-forum as much discussion was had regarding the different types of Miltek although you may have to go back a couple of years to get all the in depth reviews.

Looks like i have some digging to do then.

Thanks for the insight - good to have someone in the know.

thanks spinster - my mate has a tuned 130PD ibiza with a resonated millyek, sounds great!

Boydie said:
thanks spinster - my mate has a tuned 130PD ibiza with a resonated millyek, sounds great!

No problem, I know how many nagging doubts creep into your mind especially when it concerns your pride and joy.

Spin

Non resonated for me....:thumbsup:

I had a resonated cat back system on my Bora and it did'nt sound any different than stock apart from a slightly deeper note on idle, i was quite dissapointed if i'm honest although the power and free revving gains were excellent!

I spoke to someone down at Milltek a few weeks back and they recommended the Non-Res system as the better choice of the 2 for a TDI, good enough for me... :thumbsup:

sound advice - did you notice the BOOOOOW noise effect once acceleratin and changing gear?

seems to happen with quite a few straight pipe deisels (especially round mid-ulster) drives me barmy and sounds awfull!