Volks AutosMonster Motorsport

Thread: S3 tyre wear

previously LeeS3

Status

S3 tyre wear

Has anyone checked thier front tyres yet?

Mine are a few mills off the wear indicators, after only 7000 miles.

Also what would be the best new fronts or swaps to the back?

The backs are in pristine condition - so much for the 40/60 bias (f/r)
    A3 3.2 DSG current..
    Bananas S3 02-05..
    Sprint Blue S3 (i must be mad) on 56 plate

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    That sounds crap. Mine lasted 15k all round before replacement and where Nero Zeros. What do you have on currently?
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

Reverse Gear

Status
    My Sport Contact 2's are at approx 4mm after 12000 miles, don't know what you've been doing to yours!

There is no 40/60 split on the S3. It's more like 95/5 permanently and anything in between when required.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3rob
    There is no 40/60 split on the S3. It's more like 95/5 permanently and anything in between when required.
    Someone posted an email a while back from a guy from haldex and he said it was 60/40
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000
    Someone posted an email a while back from a guy from haldex and he said it was 60/40
    No he didn't. He said If the fronts werent transferring all there power to the road then it is possible for the rears wheels to put more down than the front wheels. For that to happen the front wheels have to be loosing traction. There is no defined split with haldex as its always adjusting power but its front wheel biased. 40/60 bias means the car drives around normally with 60% of the power going to the rear, that isnt even possible with haldex as theres no centre diff to split the power, just a clutch pack to tap into the power from the front diff and send it to the rear diff.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dandle
    No he didn't. He said If the fronts werent transferring all there power to the road then it is possible for the rears wheels to put more down than the front wheels. For that to happen the front wheels have to be loosing traction. There is no defined split with haldex as its always adjusting power but its front wheel biased. 40/60 bias means the car drives around normally with 60% of the power going to the rear, that isnt even possible with haldex as theres no centre diff to split the power, just a clutch pack to tap into the power from the front diff and send it to the rear diff.
    Yes sorry I was wrong there. Ignore that. However the articale did say near 100% to the rear was possible btw.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Reverse Gear

Status
    No he didn't.

I know becuase that's what I was quoting from. I haven't seen it for a while but I'm fairly sure if you dig it up again the guy said under normal load it is 95/5. There is no way for Haldex to do a continuos rearward bias under normal driving conditions.

4th Gear

Status
    Yes sorry I was wrong there. Ignore that. However the articale did say near 100% to the rear was possible btw.

Yes it is, if the front wheels are off the ground or on ice then they can transfer no power to the ground so the rear if it has grip will transfer it all.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

1st Gear

Status
    Down to just over 4mm on fronts.. - so should probably start thinking of replacements soon.

GSD3s, Proxes or PS2s ..

-Sal-
    S3 - Phantom Black with a few options..

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3rob
    How can it be permanently 95/5, but anything in between when required...unless your version of permanent means not permanent, ie. variable.

I believe Haldex suggest 70/30 in favour of the rears when accelerating hard in a straight line is achievable as well, purely because the fronts have less traction when the weight is off them, hence the power is transfered rearwards...
    Silver 2007 S3

Third Gear

Status
    5mm left on the fronts and 6mm on the back after 5k.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by normski
    How can it be permanently 95/5, but anything in between when required...unless your version of permanent means not permanent, ie. variable.

I believe Haldex suggest 70/30 in favour of the rears when accelerating hard in a straight line is achievable as well, purely because the fronts have less traction when the weight is off them, hence the power is transfered rearwards...
    Well there's a confusion in terms. Audi say it is permanent four wheel drive but you're right, in that sense it can't be permanent and variable. I meant that in normal driving conditions it's 95/5 (according to the Haldex guy who was quoted a while ago).

6th Gear

Status
    My car has done 16k now and the fronts are about 1mm from the indicator marks and the rears are about 1.5mm from the wear indicators.

They have seemed to have worn very evenly which is good as i always try and change all 4 tyres at the same time to get a better price and also i hate having different tyres on the car.

Mine are the standard P-Zeros but i think i will go for Toyo T1-R's next.