G'day from Oz - new member with a query

mikenbn

Reaction score
G’Day Guys,

Kinda new to the forum, I used to post here whilst having the previous model S3. Its been about 5 years now since I sold the car. Since then I found myself jumping into a 350Z which was fun for around 2 years and then needed something a bit more practical so found myself in a MKV GTi – great car brilliant in every way but I’m a bit of a mod head so found the FWD started to hinder my future plans for the car – I got up to Stage 2 which included the APR ecu flash & 3” turbo back and BMC CAI – this got the car around 165kw and 380NM which was hard to put down with a FWD – just sold the GTi and patiently waiting for my new baby to arrive at the end of July.

Here in Aus the car was released about a month ago so fairly new and not much information in regards to specs and user reviews – I’ve been reading through this forum with much interest over the past few weeks. Currently being without a car has been a testing time for me to say the least.

Hopefully I can add to the vast knowledge and experience in this forum – I love reviewing products and work closely with the guys in APR/ Oettinger in Aus with new mods for audi/VW - have been know to be a guinea pig with mods :) Anywaz just a quick intro to say hi and a quick question – hope u can help …

I’m planning doing the following mods shortly after I run the car in and will post my dynos & reviews just in case anyone here is a bit nuts like me ;)
19” wheels upgrade
Bilstein PSS9s coilover kit
H&R anti roll kit
Haldex controller – switcheable controller that adjusts the haldex system
APR/Oettinger direct port upgrade (basically replaces chip via software that’s undetectable and controlled via cruise control to switch from stock mode to upgrade mode) APR predict 240KW (321hp) and 420NM - this is great for ppl who worry about warranty insurance etc.. totally undetectable.
Milltek or Oettinger 3” turbo back system
BMC CAI – same as the one i had on the previous S3 and GTi

This brings me to my first question, could I please confirm that the standard wheel offset for the S3 is +ET54mm

I’m thinking of going 19” x 8 with +ET45mm – do you think I would have rubbing issues with 235/35 series tyres. I’m considering doing 225/35 just incase as I have heard allot of rubbing issues on this and other forums from members who have upgraded their wheels.

I would really appreciate feedback

Thanks for your Time
Mike

Some pics of my last 2 rides

collage2.jpg

collage1.jpg

Firstly, welcome to Audi-Sport. I'm sure you'll make a great addition to this thriving network and judging by your history with performance cars & modifications, your at the right place as we always like a good deabate on what's what.

Secondly, the 350Z looks sooo sexy lol and the mods you done to the GTi sound beastly. I was thinking of changing to one myself couple weeks ago but chose to stick with my TDI heh.

Unfortunately I wouldn't know about the S3 as much as some of the others but you'll definitely get the thumbs up.
Just make sure you keep us updated with plenty of info and pictures, we love pics lol.

Thanks for the welcome fellows - here's the dyno info from my MKV GTi which will be useful for members with the A3 2.0T engines

Stock compared to APR Flash - Torque figures are for before/after comparison only please disregard scale on left hand side of the page

dyno1.JPG

APR vs APR+BMC

dyno2.JPG

APR vs APR+BMC+Exhaust

dyno3.JPG

And the quick sound clip - right click save as

http://members.iinet.net.au/~mikenbn/mods/mov1.MPG

Hi & Welcome Matey,

I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the S3. What's the quoted output in OZ? I'm sure it's lower due to the extremes of temperature and such.

That's quite a list of mods! I notice you don't make any mention of FMIC.
I've currently got my S3 at 313PS with a remap and Oettinger CAI. I'm thinking of piggybacking another for more cooling. The S3 can accomodate 19" RS4 Alloys with 235/40 19 so I don't think you'll have any problems.

I'm in Scotland but spent two years in Sydney. Think I recognise your street!

Thanks bud,

Yep can't wait to get back into a quattro again - the wait is killing me but 4 weeks to go now so hanging in there...

Yep we have the detuned version around 14hp and 20NM down from the EUR spec - trust me it has nothing to do with the hot climate but everything to do with marketing and making sure the S3 does not compete with the Top selling Audi TT in AUS.... They will release your spec in 2 years time as a model upgrade. Was done with the 8L models also..

How does your GIAC upgrade compare to stock - the extra torque must be awesome ??

FMIC not needed until Oettinger bring out the 400 HP+ upgrade :)

s3upgrade1.jpg

s3upgrade2.jpg

s3upgrade3.jpg

Was that kit for the GTI?

I'm going to get a new exhaust soon and I'm hoping for up to 330PS. Will post the figures as soon as the work is done.

The GIAC is really good. I tested my car 0 - 160KPH a couple of weeks back and it was a little over 12.5 secs. Not bad for a 2.0 litre four pot.

Not sure you'll need the Haldex Controller. I can get the back end out on mine really quite easily. 100% RWD would be fun though.

You can see my dyno at: http://www.giacusa.com/images/giac_s3flash_nomods98ron.jpg

You sir are a serious petrol head!! Welcome to AS.net. ;)

Regards, John.

Cheers John,

CJP80 - yep that is the Stage 3 kit for the GTi, the S3 will be similar with a bigger turbo - probably down the track ...

So going back to my question - does anyone have 19" wheels on the S3 and could I please trouble you for your specs and feedback on any rubbing

Thanks again
Mike

I am rolling on 19" OZ Racing Ultralaggeras, ET40 with 235/35ZR19 Tires, lowered on Koni coilovers. At first I experienced minor rubbing that was fixed by filing down some of the fender liner screws. I can have 4 fully grown adults in the car without any issues.

Just what I wanted to hear I'm getting ET45 with 235/35 so should be around the same.

Thanks for the reply