Tdi Versions ???

cliveywolves

Reaction score
Website
www.carinsurance4u.co.uk
Hi,

Thinking of changing my A3 Sportback Petrol Version......
Looking at a TDI , Thinking of the 2.0 TDI instead of the 1.9 TDI
Which is the best engine to go for is there much between the 1.9 and 2.0
Also what is the 2.0 TDi DPF Version ?????
Cheers.....

Hiya mate..
Main differences between the 1.9 and 2.0TDi versions are:

1.9 is an 8 valve engine producing 105Bhp in the A3 version
2.0 is a 16 valve engine producing either 140Bhp or 170Bhp - the 170Bhp is the 'DPF' version you have heard about as this model has a Diesel Particulate Filter as standard..

I would say it's definately worth the extra for either of the 2.0 versions over the 1.9 unit, no complaints here for my 140 S Line, remapped with Superchips Bluefin to 192Bhp and still doing 50 Mpg..:icon_thumright:

Steve

After approaching three years with my 140bhp 2.0TDI Sportback, I'd vouch for it too. The 170bhp version is probably the better engine but it'll cost more, either new or used, to buy.

140pd i would buy then once you are used to or bored with the power, remap it and you will see 185bhp

well the two 2.0 tdis share engine size but thats about it - they are two totally different engines - the 170 has different internals, different engine management and everything, resulting in it being much smoother - as benw123 says though it is more expensive and is slightly less economical than the 140 by about 5mpg in my experience.

One month into my 2.0 TDI 140 Q, no problems at all. I do wish for more power though ... a remap is definately in the plan, just want to run it in for longer before i do that.

I would have gotten the 170 with quattro if I had a bigger budget.

hi all.....

been offered a A3 Sportback 2.0TDI 170 DPF S-Line Oct 2006 10000 miles ex demo so fair spec but no sat nav.... £20k

what you reckon ???

Look at the massive thread on here entitled "The 170 story so far".
Forewarned is forearmed.

cliveywolves said:
hi all.....

been offered a A3 Sportback 2.0TDI 170 DPF S-Line Oct 2006 10000 miles ex demo so fair spec but no sat nav.... £20k

what you reckon ???

Not bad. Check what radio you get with it, and ensure that all the things they say it has are definitely on it. Mine's ex-demo too, had about 2,500miles on it. Touch wood, no problems so far.

nothing wrong with my 170 - no probs at all so far. (In fact up to this point with my last 140 tdi i had more problems! - that broke down twice in first week!)