Are you happy with the S3 265hp or are you feeliong like me?

newbiecrg

windsurfer
Reaction score
Hi guys! I start to get so used to the S3 power that if is starting to lack excitement.... I want more!!! Does any of you feel the same?

It's an amazing fast car but the fast it is the fast I want it to be. And I'm not talking about top speeds or drag races I'm talking in gear acceleration... I want more... from 80kph to 200kph!!!

Faster, faster, please... And I'm not going to remap it! Decision made!

Pedro

P.S.: Also I notice a substancial difference between 95 octane and 98 octane petrol, especially after the 200kph mark.... So mine only gets the 98....

P.S.1.: Another thing, my car is driven in Portugal where we have very good motorways and less traffic compared to UK, for instance from Lisbon to Algarve is a 300km motorway, traffic free and silky smooth tarmac.... Also police is there but our roads are not so CCTV'ed and GATSO'ed as UK ones...

Drive safely...

Even if you drove the quickest car on the planet you would get used to it, I am still enjoying my car although sometimes I think it feels slow !!. So I drive slow for a day or two and then whallop rekindle the excitement again, works for me. I will leave it standard though.

I have driven Algarve to Lisbon and back on many occasions before the motorway was built no wonder the death rate was so high they are all lunatics. Got family near Sintra.

Buy an RS4 Pedro, if your bored.

Mark

if you are not going to map it, what are you giong to do. i think mine is quiet heavy on juice and would like to map it for that reason and to beef up the mid range, but it,s still early days and i haven,t heard of that many people with mapped ones

jamos3 said:
if you are not going to map it, what are you giong to do. i think mine is quiet heavy on juice and would like to map it for that reason and to beef up the mid range, but it,s still early days and i haven,t heard of that many people with mapped ones

Will not do anything with mine, it would worry me if for instance I was miles away from home,middle of a bleak winters night and car showed a fault and had no choice but to call Audi assist and they found the car had been re-mapped. Warranty out of the window, one of the reasons I buy a new car.
At the end of the day we all know the S3 is no slouch, so IMO why mess with what aint broke and what Audi has spent thousands on developing.

Mark

I still think mine is pretty quick, but it is true that you can get used to the power. My answer to this is to drive a knacker for some of the time and then get back into the S3 and then just watch it fly! My knacker is a 19 year old Nova 1.2 that I take to work and then out comes the S3 for the evenings and weekends.

prt

Simple answer to not get used to the power....

Stop caning it everywhere!!

I'm not used to it yet, hopefully won't be cause I drive it nice and calm now and again.

I had 2 of my 8L S3's remapped around the 265bhp mark and the new S3 feels so much quicker. You can really tell its factory power ie meant to be like that.

Not going to bother remapping this one as its the most I've ever spent on a car and don't want things going wrong as something always crops up when tinkering with cars.

JamS3 said:
Simple answer to not get used to the power....
Stop caning it everywhere!!
I'm not used to it yet, hopefully won't be cause I drive it nice and calm now and again..

Exactly. You don't feel like thrashing round all the time anyway.

Mark

Picked my new S3 and was worried about the same thing. I quickly felt I needed a remap on my last 8L S3 after not feeling much quicker than various other cars. Just like you JamS3 I enjoyed the 265ish Bhp on that car and this new S3 at the same output feels so nice. Its lovely to drive and really doesnt need to be run hard anywhere.

And - I also feel I'd rather not tinker with this one for various reasons (notifying insurance and possible not known problems with mapping the 20tfsi etc) but who knows :)

There again, the day I get embarrassed by a sooped up Nova, Polo or a horrid dogs-dinner STI I might be ordering a bluefin !!!!

I'm sort of hoping that the engine will loosen up as the miles go on and it'll get quicker :)

Well, I'm pretty satisfied with its power and performance and also it is a refined car (unlike a subaru or an evo).

But i want more power :)
This friday i'm going to the dealer to install the Milltek turbo-back exhaust and probably next week i'm getting a stage 2 remap. ( http://www.wetterauer.de/ ).
After all that it should have around 320-330 Bhp and 420 Nm, with a top speed of +270 km/h (167 mph).

aiculedtzu said:
Well, I'm pretty satisfied with its power and performance and also it is a refined car (unlike a subaru or an evo).

But i want more power :)
This friday i'm going to the dealer to install the Milltek turbo-back exhaust and probably next week i'm getting a stage 2 remap. ( http://www.wetterauer.de/ ).
After all that it should have around 320-330 Bhp and 420 Nm, with a top speed of +270 km/h (167 mph).

That miltek stuff is damned pricey - looks the business tho - any linky to wha the BMC filter looks like ?

Nothing special about the BMC filter, it goes in the same place where the standard filter was.

image528sg9.jpg

markwiggy said:
So I drive slow for a day or two and then whallop rekindle the excitement again, works for me.
I went to iraq for a few months a while back and when I came back I drove from my hanger at work back to my flat in my CTR and was amazed! Sure beat driving a landrover :rockwoot:

And then the other day I drove from germany back to here at 70, changing gear early all the time to save a bit of fuel then on the a12/m25 junction (after 200 miles altogether) I thrashed it to get in front of a slow lorry and it gave me a huge grin.

I don't trash it anywhere, specialy not in local roads or close to towns.... I actually observe the limit in this places...

My favourite roads are mountain roads but I end up doing lots of motorway... So you go on an "easy" 180 km/h cruise speed... then you slightly increase to 200, all off a sudden when I realise you are closing down to 240-250 at some straights....

Love my Q car.... but in 2 years time something more powerfull will come, if possible with AWD...

Pedro

Well, after a little under 2 months and waited for the oil to get up to temp tonight and then floored it for my mate on the wey back from football.

"*uck" was about all he could say, so I then stopped at the lights and did a 0-60. Still all he could say was "*uck". He drives a bike regularly and had a scooby a few years ago so is well versed in speeds on the road. :faint:

Must admit that had a big grin tonight too. Honestly if I wanted faster I'd have saved up for an RS4. The S3 is in my view now quite a Q car and as with all things in life there is going to be someone faster, but as I have a problem keeping the new one under 90 on the motorway the though of more grunt just makes me think about getting points back on my license now I finally have them off it!!!

Still not quite convinced about chipping. Yes you have a gain but at what cost? I would like to see an article from a manufacture about longevity of engines, as there is clearly some engineered overhead (presumably now to meet the silly emissions targets - but may be other reasons) vs the additonal petrolhead improvments a "chip" delivers. As in life you rarely get something for nothing.

I did not personally see the point of more than 210 in my last S3 and can't see why more then 260 is necessary in this one, as for me there is definately more bang for my buck.

I might chip it but am very much undecided as i have never ever seen why it is manufacturers don't approve aftermarket chips from at least one supplier and knowing germans they always have a reason for things even if they don't state it...

Have to say, I'm used to mine now (2 months old, 2200 miles). Still not used to the clutch/throttle action though, and standing starts need to be re-mastered, as its different to my old 8L S3.

But performance wise...sometimes it doesn't feel much quicker than my old 8L S3 (which was standard 225bhp). I'm tending to take it easier more in this car, mainly because I know at the back of my mind, if I floor it everywhere, it will drink petrol.

It does put a smile on my face though, but seriously considering remapping. Just because sometimes, it doesn't feel that quick. But I'm sure it is in reality. If that makes sense.

AL

I'd agree that you always get used to your cars performance, I'm lucky cos I regularly drive our other car a Jetta 2.0tdi DSG which is no slouch in the mid range but no comparison to the S3 so still appreciate the S3.
My last 5 cars have all been remapped within 3 mths of ownership one of which was a GTi 2.0TFSi with absolutely no issues, the fact that I'm not even considering a remap at the moment is a good sign of my overall satisfaction. I'd always go for a switchable remap like the bluefin for the inevitable trips to the dealers, I may be leaving the S3 alone but I am going to book the jetta in for a bluefin transfer in the next couple of weeks.

I'm perfectly happy at the moment with the power of the S3 - having more power etc is pointless with the speed limits etc in the UK

I don't drive mine everyday (bus, tube etc.. :( ) but even so, am used to the shove in the back.

One thing I'm not used to though, is how composed, quick it is through the twisty bits ! :respekt:

-Sal-

The wife drove mine yesterday,(still not got my seat back in its original position) when she came in the house she was like an excited child - "God! thats fast!!" she exclaimed and went onto describe how she loved listening to the 'turbo whistle' and the exhaust adopt an 'aggressive growl' above 4,000 rpm.

I think I am having a bad influence upon her :)

The new 8P S3 is feeling pretty good (600 miles on it now), sometimes almost as much kick as my last remapped 8L S3. What I do notice though is that when on the move and then stamping my foot down in gear (say in 4th, 5th, 6th) it doesnt seem to kick in as hard as if I gun it away in 2-3rd first. Does that make sense ? Its as if the turbo doesnt kick in, or I'm not noticing it as urgent.

Anyone know, is the 8P similar to the 8L where it'll learn driving style ? I used to quite often disconnect the battery on the last one for a while and notice it much more responsive for a while - I guess until it got used to the petrol, air temp etc then calmed down a bit.

Still interested in whether this 20TFSI has little tricks like the old 1.8T, e.g. N75J valves for holding a bit extra boost, disconnecting battery to reset ECU, do the MAF's regularly go wrong on this one ? etc etc

RGS3 said:
The new 8P S3 is feeling pretty good (600 miles on it now), sometimes almost as much kick as my last remapped 8L S3. What I do notice though is that when on the move and then stamping my foot down in gear (say in 4th, 5th, 6th) it doesnt seem to kick in as hard as if I gun it away in 2-3rd first. Does that make sense ? Its as if the turbo doesnt kick in, or I'm not noticing it as urgent.

Please don't take this the wrong way but do you know how turbocharged engines work?

No you will never get as hard a kick in a higher gear. I do love the low down boost on the TFSI though. Showed my mate the other day how it accelerates easily from 30mph in 6th gear. He was shocked as he's been in his brothers astra vxr and he has to rev the **** off it in comparison.