Wheel refurb

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Anyone on here had their alloys refurbed/repaired in the Midlands area? If so, can you post where you had it done and your experiences?

****** Kwikfit monkeys have put a small scratch on one of my wheels and I need to investigate getting it fixed. Hoping it can be just polished out without totally removing the protective coat on the wheel. Don't really want to go the whole respraying hog on it.

Shouldnt they have to replace the wheel if they have damaged it? Theres no colour code released for the ronal wheels so the best anyone can do is try to colour match it by eye if it does need spraying.

I used Romax when I bought my last S3 second hand. previous owner had become intimate with kerb on all four wheels, so as soon as I got it I had them done.
Perfect colour match to the plastic centre cap as well as a lovely smooth finish - looked perfect!
They are based in Stockton on tees (near Middlebrough), so not practical if you are having to drive up, but perhap as kwikfit should be paying the bill they will pay to send your wheel up????
Incidentally not all refurb places are as good, a friend had his wheel done through a company recommended by west london audi and they did a sh1t job! Looked like they just used silver paint from halfords or something!!!

I'd only go with someone personally recommended rather than who a garage uses....

Long answer - but hope it helped!!!

dandle said:
Shouldnt they have to replace the wheel if they have damaged it?

Replace is a bit strong (I assume you mean repair,at £400+ for a new wheel !)
National tyres gouged one of my A4 alloys.
They repaired it,no argument.
Very good repair too,colour match was spot on.
Make it their problem mate.

A new wheel is £355 inc VAT. One of my wheels was repaired by Walton Audi after my old man hit the kerb in the car and it came back the wrong colour, very slightly but noticable against the other wheel if both wheels had been washed. They couldnt get the colour code for me so rather than risk another repair my dad replaced it and Audi gave us 20% off a new wheel. I even asked Ronal in germany if they could give me the colour code which they replied due to the contract with audi on that particular wheel they could not.

The RS6 style wheels are a different silver to any other alloy wheel and to get a proper match a refurb place would need to mix the paint and match by eye.

The problem is I can't prove it was them. I know it was as I took the wheel off myself and would have noticed it then and didn't touch it until a few days later when I went to clean it up and put the caps back on which is when I noticed it.

The scratch is very superficial and you have to look closely to see it so it's not as if it's blatantly obvious and ruins the look of the wheel. Not sure what can be done really as I don't think it warrants respraying plus there's the colour match issue which could make it look a lot worse.

The manager was apologetic and offered to help get it repaired or offer me a discount when the tyres need replacing (yeah that helps - I don't pay for tyres anyway) but made a point of saying that, as I can't prove it was them, this was basically a goodwill gesture. There's no way I can force them to replace the wheel without proof they caused the problem.

I'm going to leave it I think. I'm tempted to try polishing it out a bit but I'm worried about removing the top lacquer coat off the wheel and possibly causing additional problems down the road. If it was more obvious then I'd be more inclined to do something but as it is, I'm just too worried that an attempt to clean it up will do more harm than good. Just ****** annoying really.

If you're going to leave it, get some lacquer over the scuff to prevent further corrosion, then I'd recommend sealing it with poorboys wheel seal or something to repel water/debris etc.

It's worth getting it refurbed to be honest though - for the sake of £40.

Maybe I need to take it somewhere to get it professionally looked at, just don't know where really - want somewhere I can trust rather than somewhere looking to make a quick buck respraying my wheel (the wrong colour!)

Vertigo1 said:
Maybe I need to take it somewhere to get it professionally looked at, just don't know where really - want somewhere I can trust rather than somewhere looking to make a quick buck respraying my wheel (the wrong colour!)

Thats why I had Audi take it to get it refurbed and it still came back wrong:(. How bad is the wheel? do you have a pic?

Nah need to take a pic but, having just looked out the window, I'm considering building an ark instead.