EM TuningAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neutral

Status

2007 S3 problems - any help appreciated -

Heya,

I had the S3 remapped and fitted a cold air intake on Wednesday. The only problem with the intake was that it didn't have the fitting for the re-circ and we could only make that on the friday.

I was driving the car and it really felt great - also left a little blow off because of the re-circ pipe not having a place to go heh.

Friday morning i drove the car to work and all of a sudden it spluttered and wouldn't go at WOT. Now all of a sudden the car is idling very sporradically and wont flow anything more than 100g/sec of air.

It's meeting the requested boost but not flowing air ...

We checked the pipes and couldn't see anything visibly wrong. ( maybe we need to check them again )

We changed the cold air intake to have the recirc fitting after the MAF but it's still doing it.

Any ideas welcome - could it be that driving the car with the recirc off has done something ? ( the car was runnign 100% for a day without it ) or some boost pipe / vacuum pipe has come off somewhere.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    sorry to hear about you problems, but who did your remap, only im thinking of getting one for my new s3, and would like to know if it,s anything to do with the map if so i would be staying clear of that company.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jamos3
    sorry to hear about you problems, but who did your remap, only im thinking of getting one for my new s3, and would like to know if it,s anything to do with the map if so i would be staying clear of that company.
    Well im 200% convinced it has nothing to do with the remap. The car was running rather well before this started acting up - i can only assume it has something to do with either the MAF / or the fact that i didn't have the recirc pipe on till it gave the problem.

Uber Post Whore

Status
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, were there problems present before the map, and secondly, who did the remap?

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI-line
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, were there problems present before the map, and secondly, who did the remap?
    The "remap" was a basemap which only raised boost by 0.2bar across, no fueling or timing. The cold air intake was on for just over a day before the problem started.

Frieling Racing did the basemap.

I did 500km with the car on the remap before the problem started, so it seems unlikely that the remap caused the problem.

Other S3's running here with the same basemap quite fine. Is there any reason that the MAF would just go faulty ?

If i start the car and go WOT it splutters horribly... and idling is between 1200 and 1900 up and down the whole time.

6th Gear

Status
    I would have thought that the slightest increase in boost would have to have had the timing/fuelling changed as the engine will not be running as Audi intended ie rich and lean.

I'm not bothering messing about with mine, i'm taking the if it aint broke then don't fix it approach on this one!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Lord of War

Status
    Well, that's the best advert out there for not ucking with your car.

6th Gear

Status
    Exactly!

Thats why i'm not messing with mine, when I think about it every car I have played with has had some sort of issue and you only have to look on the 8L forum to see how many problems people have with their modified S3's.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeef
    Well, that's the best advert out there for not ucking with your car.
    If you have nothing of value add to the post - please don't add sh!t
    I'm asking for help here not some smartass comments.

There's obviously something that's causing it to act the way it is - perhaps someone who has had similar symptons can offer a solution. VAG only shows 1 error after a while which points to Idle rpm exceeding it's maximum set value or sumth.

The car was running fine without any errors for nearly 2 days. We haven't started proper tuning yet. The car made 270whp @ 5999 rpm and 385nm torque. 2200mbar pressure.

Cheers

6th Gear

Status
    I would look at the timing/fuelling, I would think that this would have to be changed if the boost pressure is raised.

Possibly running it without the recirc pipe may not have helped. Only problem is that the car is so new problems have not been encountered yet for people to help.

Only other thing to suggest is taking it to the dealer and just getting them to look at it without stating its been remapped and see what they say, might be a easy fix for them!

Good luck mate.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamS3
    I would look at the timing/fuelling, I would think that this would have to be changed if the boost pressure is raised.

Possibly running it without the recirc pipe may not have helped. Only problem is that the car is so new problems have not been encountered yet for people to help.

Only other thing to suggest is taking it to the dealer and just getting them to look at it without stating its been remapped and see what they say, might be a easy fix for them!

Good luck mate.
    Thanks

We logged timing , fueling , airflow , boost , rpm etc. The car was well happy - if you raise the boost the car flows more air and the MAF reads that and adjusts the fueling accordingly. The Ecu has the values that determine what the requested AFR should be in the map and shouldn't change if you just raise the boost. More air in = more fuel to get the requested AFR .

If we had played with the fueling and timing i woulda agreed that this could be an issue.But he haven't even got there yet.

6th Gear

Status
    Well it may be the case that the car was running ok for a while with the pipe off but has decided after a while it does not like this and logged a fault code/damaged the MAF in some way?

Neutral

Status
    Well it may be the case that the car was running ok for a while with the pipe off but has decided after a while it does not like this and logged a fault code/damaged the MAF in some way?
    That what we're trying to find out yeah. If we can get another MAF 2morrow we might be able to rule that out as a possibility.

Will post the outcome here either way.

6th Gear

Status
    Any fault codes shown?

Neutral

Status
    Any fault codes shown?
    VAG shows nothing

6th Gear

Status
    I'd rule out the MAF then as that should show up, in that case i'd more think a pipe may have blown off or been knocked off, sometimes this does not show up as a fault code.

Not anymore - Back 2 BMW (shh)

Status
    I would personally remove the remap/intake and go back to basics as a process of elimination. If the car doesn't work correctly without them, take it to your dealer - there's clearly a fundamental problem. If it does, I guess you have your answer, so then hassle Frieling Racing... However, it doesn't ring true to me: simply increasing the boost is not the answer to a remap - more boost = more air = more fuel = change timing.

987C

Status
    I've had my car running up to 1.55bar of boost with the fuelling and timings changed for more than 2 thousand miles. No problems so far.

I'd be inclined to say the cold air intake is to blame! Not technical enough to suggest why, but it seems likely.
    Last edited by CJP80; 23rd June 2007 at 20:14.
    2008 987C Porsche Cayman S (299 RWHP)
    2007 987 Porsche Boxster S (295 RWHP)
    2007 Audi S3 (330PS)
    2005 Seat Leon FR TDI (195PS)
    2005 Skoda Fabia vRS (175PS)

1st Gear

Status
    Quick brainstorm:

1. Collapsed hose to/from intercooler - not an unknown problem when boost pressure increased, or

2. Hose to/from DV detached/collapsed/blocked?
    I wouldn't be so paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me......

Spook's Silv3r Ghost - with Recaro bucket seats - is here!

Lord of War

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SSS3
    If you have nothing of value add to the post - please don't add sh!t
    I'm asking for help here not some smartass comments.

There's obviously something that's causing it to act the way it is - perhaps someone who has had similar symptons can offer a solution. VAG only shows 1 error after a while which points to Idle rpm exceeding it's maximum set value or sumth.

The car was running fine without any errors for nearly 2 days. We haven't started proper tuning yet. The car made 270whp @ 5999 rpm and 385nm torque. 2200mbar pressure.

Cheers
    Then use your brain uckwit. Remove what you've changed and start again. If it still faults take it to a dealership. And if you don't like smartass comments, don't uck with what you clearly don't understand and then come on here crying about it.

Tool.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook
    Quick brainstorm:

1. Collapsed hose to/from intercooler - not an unknown problem when boost pressure increased, or

2. Hose to/from DV detached/collapsed/blocked?
    checked the intercooler and dv pipes earlier - all seemed ok - even had the dv off to see if i can notice anything strange.

The stock intake will go back on 2morrow as well as my original OEM map. I recon a blockage or restriction is quite possible - the car is making boost but the boost isn't going anywhere ( flowing 120g/sec as opposed to it's normal 210g/sec )

If all else fails i'll drop it at the dealer on Monday and they can dig around.

5th Gear

Status
    i have to agree - if it ain't broke don't fix it - or you will end up with something which is broke that need fixin! - oh yeh you have!

1st Gear

Status
    I thought that with the Way these engines worked No-recirc means that the engine would detect a leak as the pressure would change and thus reduce accordingly and keep on doing so until it cures the problem or doesnt run?
    Nothing to see here: Woofdoggy , move along please........

Neutral

Status
    do you think it could have something to do with the lamb sensor i know of at least two other new s3,s that have had problems and have had to have them replaced one car was remaped the other one not. i would like to know if some one could tell me please when you have your car remaped is it visible to the main dealer/or insurance companys

1st Gear

Status
    i would like to know if some one could tell me please when you have your car remaped is it visible to the main dealer/or insurance companys
    Yes.

They would have to look and unlikely a dealer would spot it, but it is visible.
    Nothing to see here: Woofdoggy , move along please........

987C

Status
    A good software remap is undetectable in the sense that checksum is not changed and the flash count remains the same as before the remap is carried out. I personally, would not put a piece of software on my car that is not switchable. GIAC did my remap and the software they produce can be switched within five seconds. The ECU flash can also be overwritten by the dealer if a software upgrade is identified. If Audi UK were to get there hands on my car and were to read my file, they would see that the filename for the ECU program is unchanged. My ECU is now also double encrypted, so if someone were to steal my car when it was in Kill mode, they'd have to change the ECU to get the thing running!

Oh, and I'd always make sure that the car was back to standard before I took the car to a dealer. Something I could do on the way to the dealer.
    2008 987C Porsche Cayman S (299 RWHP)
    2007 987 Porsche Boxster S (295 RWHP)
    2007 Audi S3 (330PS)
    2005 Seat Leon FR TDI (195PS)
    2005 Skoda Fabia vRS (175PS)

Third Gear

Status
    do you think it could have something to do with the lamb sensor i know of at least two other new s3,s that have had problems and have had to have them replaced one car was remaped the other one not.
    I had a new lambda sensor fitted to mine, didn't show any symptoms like SSS3's just put the diagnostic light on., seemed to run ok but I only drove it gently.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

Neutral

Status
    Stock Intake back on , stock map back on car seemed better - then it started doing the hunting idle again.

taking it to the dealer 2morrow - i'm guessing MAF , DV or lambda is poked.

Will let you know heh.

hud at ye bam

Status
    So you've increased the amont of air going into the engine (boost), but left the fueling standard???? Aren't you running lean?
    [/sarcasm]

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ChriS3
    So you've increased the amont of air going into the engine (boost), but left the fueling standard???? Aren't you running lean?
    the MAF reads the additional air coming through and the ECU adjusts the amount fuel accordingly.

AFR were running 11 - 10.5 = rich

Third Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SSS3
    AFR were running 11 - 10.5 = rich
    Optimum AFR should be 14.7.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

Neutral

Status
    Dealer diagnosed the problem. The Throttle Valve is faulty.
    part on order and will be replaced within a day.

Once it's replaced and working i'll post the result.

6th Gear

Status
    Where is that located then?

Mo
    Neutral

Status
    Glad it worked out for you mate !!
    07 Phantom Black S3

Uber Post Whore

Status
    Hopefully a good result.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

Neutral

Status
    Just some feedback on this issue i had ...

Eventually after the dealer exhchanged some things they couldn't fix it. I took it to another dealer which was recommended to me by my tuner.

They did exactly what the other dealer did just to discover the MAF sensor ( Airflow sensor ) was causing the issue.

They replaced the sensor ( just like the other dealer aparently did ) and the car is running perfectly again. Just shows you - never believe what the dealer tells you ...

We looked at the OEM engine cover / air filter to find lots of oil on the back of it ... not entirely sure where this came from but no doubt that's what caused the 1st one to fail.

Hope this post helps someone who finds the same problem down the line.

6th Gear

Status
    Glad you got it sorted at least you know its nothing to do with the remap.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

6th Gear

Status
    Or was it???

We will never know!

5th Gear

Status
    My remap hasnt caused any issues at all *touch wood

The car is still rapid and guzzling fuel

Glad you got sorted

jamo s3

Status
    who paid for the work to be done then if it,s under warrenty and someone else repairs it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast