RNS-E : speedo camera data

maars

Full speed ahead
Reaction score
On TomTom you can add speed camera data to the nav maps. Is this add-on available either as authorised mod or a hack for RNS-E?

As above, the RNS-e doesn't support custom Points Of Interest (POI) like the TomTom can. having said that, I moved from a TomTom Go 510 to the RNS-e recently and, while I miss some of the nice touches found on the TomTom, there is no way I would go back.

The guys over on navplus.us are continually working on hacks and fixes for the RNS-e so maybe this will be possible before too long.

Here's hoping...

Even if they find a way, it's going to require hacking about with the firmware of the unit - are you really going to risk screwing it up?

Nah, sit on the fence for a while while others do the testing :)

Only kidding. Some of the guys on navplus.us have incredible knowledge of the RNS-e and its software. There is little danger or doing any irreparable damage by updating the firmware of the device. A chap over there recently released a free firmware fix which unlocks the Video In Motion feature and that works fine. Up until then it was necessary to either buy a module (that wasn't ideal as it disabled navigation while playing DVD's) or remove the RNS-e and ship it to someone to do the unlocking. Typically this service was costing around £75. With the help of the guys on navplus.us I have now unlocked my VIM for free.

It's only like updating the BIOS on your motherboard! (kind of).

Just get another device that's dedicated to catching the Speed Cameras. Be better that way

My biggest problem with external devices like RoadAngel is you either have to dismantle it when leaving the car or risk it being broken into. This was one of the big attractions of having OEM nav in the first place rather than my old Tomtom setup so I'm not keen to go back there really.

Vertigo1 said:
My biggest problem with external devices like RoadAngel is you either have to dismantle it when leaving the car or risk it being broken into. This was one of the big attractions of having OEM nav in the first place rather than my old Tomtom setup so I'm not keen to go back there really.

My thoughts exactly. Why have two devices in the car with GPS sensors, one of which looks 'tacked on', and which you have to put away everytime you park the car somewhere (theft of sat nav and speed camera detectors is rife in London).

RNS-e with sat nav, speed camera detection, TV, mobile connectivity is the way forward :) In fact, why stop there - why not have a mini-pc running vag.com linked into the RNS-e screen?!

maars said:
RNS-e with sat nav, speed camera detection, TV, mobile connectivity is the way forward :) In fact, why stop there - why not have a mini-pc running vag.com linked into the RNS-e screen?!
On navplus.us there is a guy working on a Car PC project ...

Until the DVD maps have been hacked - which won't happen quickly - we won't get POIs added the map. It must be possible though, because the RNS-E shows up Audi dealers with a little four-rings logo, so they must have appended their dealer network data after the general UK map was produced.

marms said:
With the help of the guys on navplus.us I have now unlocked my VIM for free.

Would it be possible for you to do a step by step guide? The nav plus forum gets quite technical plus i'm not sure if there's difference with the US and Euro RNS-E...

I'm just looking for the simplest way to get VIM that doesn't mess up the sat nav - if it costs a few £ that's not a problem

d3fy said:
Whats VIM then?

According to my gran - VIM is a rather good scouring powder for cleaning the bath.

or

Video In Motion

Allows passengers to watch DVD's while you drive. Without it you get a message on the RNS-e when you go over 5mph.

I thought the RNS-E only played the map DVD? Can it be configured to play film DVDs easily or do you need additional hardware?

You need additional hardware, a dietz connector that allows auxilary outputs to be plugged into that box then into the RNS-E.

VIM can be easily done, give craig a shout on this forum he does it.

marms said:
Some of the guys on navplus.us have incredible knowledge of the RNS-e and its software. There is little danger or doing any irreparable damage by updating the firmware of the device. A chap over there recently released a free firmware fix which unlocks the Video In Motion feature and that works fine. Up until then it was necessary to either buy a module (that wasn't ideal as it disabled navigation while playing DVD's) or remove the RNS-e and ship it to someone to do the unlocking. Typically this service was costing around £75. With the help of the guys on navplus.us I have now unlocked my VIM for free.

I don't suppose any one has access to this free firmware fix do they? As I've just bought a TV Tuner and hope to be fitting it sometime this week/next and VIM would be pretty cool :)

Cheers,

Rich

Do any of you guys who have VIM actually watch TV as you are driving?

h5djr said:
Do any of you guys who have VIM actually watch TV as you are driving?

Well i certainly don't. That would be ridiculously dangerous. I unlocked the video purely so passengers could watch dvd's no long trips.

Could you link to a front or rear mounted camera and get the display on the RNS-e?

Yes, its just a separate AV output at the end of the day, still need the Dietz connector though to connect the camera to.

I have seen RNS-E Sat units on Ebay, if i was to get one who would be best placed to install, connect VIM, connect to my BT phone install, phatnosie etc.

I think want to upgrade, only had the car 5 days :faint:

s8Craig on these forums, he did everything to mine as I retrofit RNS-E and bluetooth. He has his own company and has done in the region of 300 + bluetooth installs and probs far more RNS-E units!

He knows what he is doing and will code it all properly, its a straight swop over for the new S3 as the existing wiring loom supplied with the car plugs straight in.

If you have BOSE there is only one wire to relocate on the loom, if you don't have BOSE then one wire to disconnect!

Takes about 10 mins to fit, will work straight away but needs recoding to work properly.

Cheers

Did you get yours of fleabay? Also what am i looking for, any specific model/unit number?

Yes bought mine off nikin777

They always have them on and are all new varient units, so you can buy knowing you will get a newly produced unit even though there are little differences, think only thing reported is the older ones take a short while longer to load mp3 from the SD card slots.

JohnS3 has bought his from the same person too and a few more so I would go with this seller, don't let the europe location and bank transfer put you off, just look how many they have sold and their feedback!

You need one from an A3 with the rounded corners at the top of the unit.

a3unit1.jpg

The part number is 8P0 035 192. It has different version numbers denoted by a letter after the name. The newest units are "M". Avoid buying a US unit or you'll have a fair bit of work to do to making it run EU software. Good luck.

The easiest solution would be for the option of POI from the SD slots - this would be a huge selling fater to the Nav unit and something the car manufacturers should see has a big thing to have over their competitors - technology is there.

edowen said:
The easiest solution would be for the option of POI from the SD slots - this would be a huge selling fater to the Nav unit and something the car manufacturers should see has a big thing to have over their competitors - technology is there.
That's a great idea, and as you say Audi could modify the software to do it and overcome one of the RNS-E's shortcomings - that the database can't be changed. Does anyone know how big in megabytes a speed camera database might be?

Only 315KB!!!

Thats what mine is off www.pocketgps.co.uk

This goes on the tomtom software and includes all types of speed camera inc mobile sights and is country wide so not a big file at all!

On the POI point - these do show up, tourist attractions, cinemas, bowling alleys, restaurants etc. I went to Southend last week and after putting in the postcode I could choose "tourist attractions" and select "south end pier" from the list. It even gives the phone number. Sorry if this is old news but I found it rather neat.

JohnS3 said:
Are you planning another project Ben?
Aah, steady on John - my RNS-E MP3 Manager software isn't really the finished article! A lot of people have reported install problems and I'm still looking into it. Basically a case of "it works fine on mine" but I'm doing my best to recreate the problems and diagnose them.

I think custom POI databases are possible on the RNS-E, and it's being looked at on http://www.navplus.us to see if the software can be cracked. They've sorted Video In Motion, for those who have the TV adapter with the RNS-E, but not the software in general.

I recall finding a BMW website where these guys had decompiled the BMW sat nav software, and provided a Windows application where you could customise everything about the map. Colours, fonts, POIs - the lot. Then it would burn the configuration to a CD or DVD and you'd load it in the car. Hopefully this is where we'll eventually get with navplus.us.

KARL said:
On the POI point - these do show up, tourist attractions, cinemas, bowling alleys, restaurants etc. I went to Southend last week and after putting in the postcode I could choose "tourist attractions" and select "south end pier" from the list. It even gives the phone number. Sorry if this is old news but I found it rather neat.
You also see Audi dealerships showing as an icon with four rings and a red outline, which also strengthens the case that the database was customised by Audi after the whole Europe database was compiled to DVD.

Just reading this post - anyone have an update as to whether there is software available now to perhaps add speed camera alerts to SD card for the RNS-E? Checked the US site but doesn't seem to be anything in motion yet?

I've not read about any progress. The sticking point is reverse engineering the RNSe software.

I would have thought it'd be a million times easier to hack the map data and choose one of the built in POIs and replace it with a known camera database. Big job of course but feasible. It wouldn't give a warning of course but you'd see it on the map if you were looking.

Thanks for bumping this thread Leenx, hadn't seen it before :thumbsup:

On a serious note, does anyone know what language it is written in? I'll have a word with some of my trusted software developers at the office re: decompiling \ hacking it.

This thread has suddenly gained my interest\curiousity...

Or just add a new icon within the firmware/software to show the locations, so you'd have to hack both the rns & map dvd's to show them, plus then you would want a warning in the DIS or via voiceover or it would be pointless, we cant watch the rns 24/7 to see a speed trap, could be highly dangerous, problem is audi will never do it & as you say Staz its a fairly heft job tbh, no doubt its encrypted by navteq is it.

Or just add a new icon within the firmware/software to show the locations, so you'd have to hack both the rns & map dvd's to show them, plus then you would want a warning in the DIS or via voiceover or it would be pointless, we cant watch the rns 24/7 to see a speed trap, could be highly dangerous, problem is audi will never do it & as you say Staz its a fairly heft job tbh, no doubt its encrypted by navteq is it.

Why wouldn't Audi do it though? Is it due to this Nanny state culture clamping down on speed camera alerts with the hidden agenda of gaining extra revenue from the driver to fill the pockets of local government?
Seriously though some of the threads below were mentioning the feasibility as you can get POI's already on the RNS-E. I wouldn't have a clue how to go about doing it but it would be so useful!:uhm:

Why wouldn't Audi do it though? Is it due to this Nanny state culture clamping down on speed camera alerts with the hidden agenda of gaining extra revenue from the driver to fill the pockets of local government?

& our

usr_030609123553_Survey%20Says%20Banner.jpg

rapture_v2_driver.jpg

Seriously though some of the threads below were mentioning the feasibility as you can get POI's already on the RNS-E. I wouldn't have a clue how to go about doing it but it would be so useful!:uhm:
Well you need to bear in mind that your disc is Western Europe and not UK so it comes from Audi Germany (sourced from the mapping company) not from a UK company. Nothing to do with the government.