Nitrogen in tyres

Geraldy212

Sportback owner
Reaction score
My local garage is offering to fill my A3 tyres with nitrogen, and after that will keep them topped up for free. Does nitrogen make a real difference? Is it worth the effort? Anyone with any experience with this?
Cheers,:think:

the nitrogen molecules are bigger than air so they don't leak out as quickly thus keeping your tyre pressures constant, i think there may be a benifit in keeping the tyre cooler too but i'm not so sure about that.

i've had nitrogen in mine for a couple of years now and they very rarely need topping up

Do you no which dealers can give you nitrogen?

I've been using ASDA petrol stations for top ups... and thats just air!

It's used in racing for very good reasons,but it's use on road cars is of dubious value.
Mind you,you see people driving around with full harnesses and spoilers that would stop a jumbo taking off,so people are obviously keen enough to have a bit of the track transposed onto the road...

to make them lighter? as air is heavier than nitro isnt it

Nitrogen doesnt change in volume the same as air does with temperature change so the pressure stays more constant. Its also used by tyre places as it keeps moisture out so the inside of the wheel wont be subject to corrosion the same as if its filled with normal air, although topping up with normal air is fine. The latter is the reason most tyre places use it.

Just a few points.

Air contains roughly 78% nitrogen, so when inflating your tyres you are getting mainly nitrogen anyway.

Many of the benefits claimed of nitrogen could be achieved by using dry compressed air from a good compressed air system. Its the moisture in the air that causes most of the problems eg pressure fluctuations and corrosion.

While using nitrogen in normal passenger car tyres may produce some benefits, it is questionable if the average motorist will gain very much.

Using nitrogen does not remove or reduce the need to check tyre pressures regularly as the risk of a puncture or a slow leak is not altered.

Any benefit by using nitrogen will be negative if air is added to top up only nitrogen should be used.