Spare Key and Re-synchronising?

BennyB0Y

Resident Energy Source
Reaction score
Have had the (nearly) new A3 for 4 weeks, and the dealers have just sent me my spare key. Nothing came with it, no instructions, no notes, nothing! So I checked out my Owners Manual about re-synchronising the key. That doesn't work. The steps are:
  1. Press the "unlock" button.
  2. Open the driver's door manually within 30 secs of step 1 above.
  3. Press either the "unlock" or "lock" button.
  4. The key should be sync'd..... HOWEVER....
By step 4 the key should've at least sync'd (given that it opens the door manually). Am I missing something here? Would appreciate any help.

Cheers.
:readit:

The key needs the chip programmed to the car which has to be done at the dealers.

Cheers. Will give 'em a shout. Has anyone else had to wait this long for a spare key for your nearly new A3?

I waited 2 weeks for a new spare key when i bought my A3.

Btw Audi Dealers (as far as the ones I went to) cannot re-program keys on the weekends as there are very few technicians about. Also the link they have to Audi undergoes maintenance on the weekend. I'll have to find some time during the working week to go get this sorted.
:rolleyes:
Damn!!!

why did you not get the key with the car??? I got both keys with my car when i got it. Thing is i'd be worried about where the 'other spare key is'!!!

steve184 said:
why did you not get the key with the car??? I got both keys with my car when i got it. Thing is i'd be worried about where the 'other spare key is'!!!
I'm afraid it's one of those "after sales" things that just crops up when you don't expect it. I was expecting it'd be a quick affair but sadly not. I don't know even if it has anything to do with my A3 being ex-demo. Now, I don't think it should have mattered as the dealers were the 1st and only keepers of the low-mileage vehicle. It must be the right key (not chipped yet) as it does open the car manually. Didn't take any chances trying to start the car though. I'm worried the imobiliser will totally cut the engine out and I'll end up having to call Audi or anything. I just would like it to work ok from the start. The dealers have something to answer for with all this hassle.

steve184 said:

Hey steve184,

Dealer texted me today and realised their blunder. They've booked me in to get my spare key re-coded. Result!
:thumbsup: