Picked up my S3

Mo

Reaction score
After a long wait it's finally here and im in love with it, can't understand how anyone could slate it but there you go. Black suits this car really well, it sets off the chrome on the grille and the wing mirrors like other colours can't, no offence ! This is my first fast car, im coming from a GTTDI golf so im loving the power. I was pulling off a sliproad onto an empty motorway with my son and gave it a little blast in second and third and heard from the back "Daddy, im stuck to the seat" !! The power just keeps on coming and pretty smoothly too. I look at it as the RS4's little brother, good enough for me. I was happily surprised with the sound of the exhaust too, it's subtle but has a nice pur when at a standstill then when you give it some it really comes alive, love it. Im over the moon, the only downside is the sound of the engine. It doesn't sound like an engine from a £30k car. Don't get me wrong it's not bad but it isnt great and the rest of the car is so it makes you notice. Other than that its perfect, i'm getting withdrawl symptoms so i'm away for a spin.

ps. It's ******* down over here, has been all week so i'll get some pics when it dries up a bit.

Mo

Black does it for me, dealer cocked up with my order (company car) phantom black so had to settle for quartz grey, but have to admit i really like this colour and they upgraded me from the 1.9TDI S line to the 2.0TDi sline so no complaints.

Cool mate. Does sound like we got it on the same day.

When was your build date ? Mine was week beginning the 28th May (bank holiday). How long was your wait in total, from order to collection ? Mine was 8 weeks, so quick!

Be good to see some pics, see all the different variants. Have fun, I know I am!!

excellent news mo! we need t get a northern ireland ASN meet - we now have several members!!

Pics soon Tdi line. I'm not sure what build date James but i had a nine week wait, felt like nine months because i couldnt get the car off my mind ! Well worth the wait though. I gave a mate of mine a run in it earlier and he was overly impressed with it too. It's just a stonker of a car imo, a bit expensive but what isn't. I forgot to mention my insurance.....£3400 !! Ouch !! I actually just got a shiver down my spine typing that ! Anyway, Golf GTI's and R32's are nice cars but the S3 takes it to a different level. I could go on and on but i'm tired and i dont want to bore you so.....goodnight !!

Ps. S3 owners.....get to a tunnel and put the windows down quickly !! :)

Boydie....you'll love this motor mate, it's rapid ! I'm a dad/boyfriend/uncle in my spare time and i try and be good at them all so i dont have much spare time on my hands but we'll see if we can sort something out.

Mo said:
I forgot to mention my insurance.....£3400 !! Ouch !! I actually just got a shiver down my spine typing that !

£3400!!!!!!! Is this your first car or have you got 12 points or your licence??!

Congrats Mo

Everyone knows black ones are the fastest too :w00t:

Had mine since December and still loving it :hubbahubba:

have you read the group test in Evo this month?:readit:

mo, how on earth are you paying £3400???

do you have lots of points or claims??

thats insane for insurance

i am 22, 3 years NCB, all mods declared in my own name on a grp11 A3 for £750!

i can get insured on an e46 m3 BMW for £1500 lol

Yea i read it Didge it was a good read and good to hear they liked too but how they picked the beamer i don't know.
I have 9 points !! None for speeding though and i have 5yrs no claims. Its a joke.
Mitch, you'll love it mate, what colour/spec did you go for ?

Mo said:
the only downside is the sound of the engine. It doesn't sound like an engine from a £30k car.

Mo

What do you expect? its only a 4 pot - its never ever gonna be a v8

:think: yeah me neither the S3 outperformed it in every aspect including quality and who wants to be seen in a 1 series? :no: I don't care what engine they put in it :sadlike:

"What do you expect? its only a 4 pot - its never ever gonna be a v8"

I didnt expect it to sound like a V8 mate, im saying one of the downsides to the car is the engine sound. Its not bad, just not great.

Nice spec ! Sitting behind that flat bottomed steering wheel makes the experience that wee bit better, love it !

S3Didge said:
:think: yeah me neither the S3 outperformed it in every aspect including quality and who wants to be seen in a 1 series? :no: I don't care what engine they put in it :sadlike:

Was certainly difficult for them to justify the beemer when the S3 stuffed it on every aspect, but at least they didn't critcise the S3 for being too expensive...think only Evo and Autocar were objective in this respect, every other mag said the S3 was ace and then said buy the inferior R32 'cus the S3 costs too much...(despite not mentioning or even realising that in like spec the R32 costs more)

mitch78 said:
Sorry, that was a bit misleading. Sourced the rings myself, just thought it'd give everyone more of an idea of the look of the car if I listed it.

My fault! I see what you mean now. I'm envious! Will be another year before I can afford my S3 :-( Post plenty of pics :)

mitch78 said:
Planning to retro-fit RNS-E at some point too, maybe have to wait 'til Christmas for that though.

Speaking to CraigyB about this a couple of weeks back - he was saying that the S3 appears to be missing an antenna, so simple installation not yet available.

Yeh he did, GPS antenna under dash picks loads of satellites up and had no problems with it at all!

Very very simple installation, just snip one wire on harness and the rest just plugs in using the existing wiring loom in the car.

Of course the coding needs to be done which is the only bug bare having to find someone with vagcom, but Craig came to the rescue!

Mo, any pics yet of the new machine??

Come to think of it, there are a few on here that have picked up new S3's recently, but don't put pics up!!!

Mmmmm, have they really got one!! lol

I was thinking about the miltek exhaust Boydie but the standard one sounds really good so im gonna leave it. I took a few pics but my girlfriend messed up the camera somehow and the pics are crap. Here's a couple that turned out ok....out of about forty taken !

I cant get the attachments !! Does anyone know how to ? In the faq it says, "simply click manage attachments at the bottom of the post composition page" Where is it !!??

Thanks

good point Mo i cannot find it either!

you can host the pics on photobucket or bebo if you have an account?

Very Nice Mo

That has just made my decision regarding colours, it was between Phantom Black and Blue, defo black for me, even though I have a flat black 2.0TQ at the mo.

It looks so aggressive and stealth like!!!

Lee

Really good pics. Thanks.

I haven't seen the silver/black leather in the flesh, and is an option i am thinking about, what are your thoughts, could it mark easily?

Tdi-line, i was going to cancel the two-tone seats beacuse i was worried they would get ruined but im really impressed with them. They look really durable, i was worried that the little metal bits at the back of my jeans would scratch/mark them but it doesnt. Go for them mate, they take the inside of the car to a different level, and at £300 they're a must !

Lee....all my cars have been black, like you said aggresive and stealth like. Pics don't do it justice it looks so much better in the flesh/metal !

I forgot to mention petrol, be prepared to spend a fortune on it, i've spent £150 in just over five days and i haven't been going too crazy. Be warned lol

Which insurance company is that with Chanlon1? I've been getting quotes of around £850 with a few companies. I'm 35 with 7 years no claims bonus and live in Newry by the way.

daviscup said:
Which insurance company is that with Chanlon1? I've been getting quotes of around £850 with a few companies. I'm 35 with 7 years no claims bonus and live in Newry by the way.

I am 36 with four years, and am paying £470 with Allianz

Im only 24 guys and i forgot to mention i cost my insurance company over £20k in my first year driving although they did get £15k-£20k back over the years. I thought £3400 was ok, i got quotes from £4500-£8500. I was quoted £13k for my old Golf a couple of years ago !!

S3.....£28k
Insurance.....£3.5k
Driving an S3 at 24....PRICELESS !!!

daviscup said:

Its with Direct Line.
34yrs old, 17yrs NCB, no points

Good thing with Direct Line is that they never upped my premium because of the extra options I had put on the car, also they do like-for-like replacement in the event of a claim.
They also cover me for business, even though I don't need it

chanlon1 said:
Its with Direct Line.
34yrs old, 17yrs NCB, no points

Good thing with Direct Line is that they never upped my premium because of the extra options I had put on the car, also they do like-for-like replacement in the event of a claim.
They also cover me for business, even though I don't need it

Sounds good mate I'll give them a try.

Just got an online quote with them for £449.00 :hubbahubba: Roughly £400 cheaper than any other quote so far. Happy days!!