New A3 MPG

Steve-L

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the 2.0T FSI engines mpg improves with miles on the clock ?
My car has only done 370 miles and at last fill up with optimax I got 240 miles to a tank whilst I used to get 260 miles in my 3.2 V6 but that had done over 10K.

Cheers

Are you sure the tank was empty when you filled up - how many litres did you get in? - that equates to less than 20mpg for a complete tank (assuming 2.0T has a 55l tank - worse if the 60l one), which is crazy unless either a) you have ragged it since delivery or b) on delivery, the tank was not completely full - I can get approx 40 miles before the needle starts to move.

I would just watch it over the next few fill ups before getting too concerned.

The tank was not full when I took delivery but I then filled it up and reset the counter to zero, I had to fill up again today after 240 miles and got 51 litres in.
I have not ragged it since delivery but most of my journies are in London in the rush hour so very seldom get out of 2nd/3rd gear.
I just assumed a 2.0T would be a little better than a 3.2 V6 over the same journies unless the car needs a few more miles on it before the mpg improves

My 2.0T which is now on 2500 miles still only achieves about 200 miles to a tank (usually run on warning light for a day or two before filling up). Admittedly most (nearly all) of my driving is on a short commute so the engine probably does not get a chance to warm up fully. But it is still the least economical car I have ever driven.

Ouch! I get better fuel consumption in my S3 and it's got over 300 bhp!

I used to average about 28 mpg in my 20TQ, never really used to do short runs though or sit in traffic. It should improve for you guys though have had about 36mpg and about 350 miles to the tank after the car had covered about 7k.

What does the DIS reading say ??

MARK

smee said:
My DIS reading from new is 20.2mpg The car is on 2500 miles.

You must either spend alot of time sitting in traffic or be giving it what for all the time. My S3 is doing more than that.

Mark

The mileage on ours is still getting better and its now got 10 k on it. When we first had it, the first 2k miles it was averaging about 22-24mpg with both my wifes journeys and my odd blasts in it(couple of time a week). Now its much higher when my wife drives it to work(28-30mpg in 7 miles of traffic) and with my harder driving I still get about 26-27mpg when I take it to work, which is only 6 miles but with lots of traffic light blasts.

I think mine was around 26mpg/27mpg before the remap, now its 25mpg so it should get better for you mate

markwiggy said:
You must either spend alot of time sitting in traffic or be giving it what for all the time. My S3 is doing more than that.

Mark

Dont spend much time in traffic, just a short commute. 3 miles in about ten minutes. Only had a chance to give it what for a couple of times. Pretty average driving conditions. Car was treated well from new i.e. did not pass 2500 rpm for first 400 miles then did not pass 4500 rpm for the next 400 miles. Since then has been redlined twice. I dont think that this is excessive but as per earlier post this is the most uneconomical car I have ever had.

Dont get me wrong I love the car and am happy with it but the economy is scary!

The most i got out of a full tank was 420miles with the needle on the red and 5miles left on the DIS but that was using the throttle VERY lightly for the whole week!

On average i will see 340-350miles before i fill up with 50-52litres of V-Power.

Last week i decided to drive the car properly (ie, hoooooooning it everywhere) and had to fill up with 330miles on the trip with 55litres.

It does get better as the mileage rises, mine has just over 4k on the clock now and if bled dry I'll get about 310miles to a tank of v power.

Before when it was about 2k i'd be lucky if I saw approx 270miles to a full tank.

My A3 2.0T Quattro averaged around 25 MPG (DIS figures) in the year that I had it.

In real terms then around 270 to a tank I'd say, with a mixture of town and motorway driving. The most I think I ever got was around 320 miles from a tank - all on the motorway.

To be honest the MPG never really improved on mine over the 20k miles I done in it.....

C_Audiboy said:
My A3 2.0T Quattro averaged around 25 MPG (DIS figures) in the year that I had it.

In real terms then around 270 to a tank I'd say, with a mixture of town and motorway driving. The most I think I ever got was around 320 miles from a tank - all on the motorway.

To be honest the MPG never really improved on mine over the 20k miles I done in it.....

Thinking about it again my remapped 8L S3 gave better figures IIRC..... :faint:

20mpg seems a tad on the low side to me. My 3.2 is driven similarly, 5 mile commute through school traffic every morning, a longer run between 50-150 miles at the weekend.

My DIS2 mpg hasn't been reset for over 6 months now and reads a shade under 26mpg. I'm sure it would be higher but for the damn schools.

I do try to drive economically where I can but I also have a bit of a heavy right foot too I hit the redline all too frequently. But hey the line is there for hitting, if it weren't they'd move it lower :)

Regularly see 320-350 out of a tank. If I have a few stressful journeys that could drop as low as 250 though....

C_Audiboy said:
Thinking about it again my remapped 8L S3 gave better figures IIRC..... :faint:

So did mine!

In the region of 340miles to a full tank, however the 8L S3's tank was 62 litres where as the new one is 55litres.

Plus don't forget the new TFSI engine is 2.0 litre compared to the old 1.8, still seems the more fuel efficient FSI is less!