Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    4th Gear

Status

Ipod nano tranmits songs wirelessly through speakers!

Forgive me if this is a well known fact, but I thought I'd share.
    Having the single DIN Concert unit which doesn't play MP3's, I had started a thread a few weeks back asking if there was a possibility in any way to play mp3's throught the headunit.
    I was birthday boy yesterday (24 ) and with birthday money bought an ipod nano and a kensington FM transmitter. Its bloody amazing the ipod fits neatly in the ash tray (never used of course!) and transmits all the songs wirelessly to the concert unit and plays those songs as if they came on the radio. If that makes sense. Really love it, and sorry if this is old news and I was stuck in the past!
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

2. # ADS
    ADS

Lord of War

Status
    Yep, it is a well known fact. As is the fact that they're **** if you do any sort of mileage as you have to keep retuning them.

1st Gear

Status
    I received the Belkin version as a present, poor sound considering the Ipod is situated very close the the headunit.
    Phanton Black A4 2.0 TDI Multi, B&O, AMI, NAV, 19" wheels

4th Gear

Status
    Problems with FM transmitters are:-

- Variable sound quality
    - Necessary to re-tune if you travel and distance
    - Impossible to find a 'free' frequency if you live in heavily populated area
    - Doesn't charge iPOD
    - Can't control iPOD from headunit

Having said that. They do work and for some will be the perfect solution.
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

4th Gear

Status
    Yep, tested it today. And its quite ****e... It seems like there is loads of interference..... Waste of money!!!!!! makes me angry!!!!!
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

VOIP Dude

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marms
    Problems with FM transmitters are:-

- Variable sound quality
    - Necessary to re-tune if you travel and distance
    - Impossible to find a 'free' frequency if you live in heavily populated area
    - Doesn't charge iPOD
    - Can't control iPOD from headunit

Having said that. They do work and for some will be the perfect solution.
    I got one in the USA and while it does require a retune every now and then, there are always plenty of free frequencies at the top and bottom end of the FM spectrum, there are no issues with sound quality - it's a little bit hissy if I crank it right up, but hey, I am 34 so that isn't going to happen. Mine also charges the iPOD.

As for not being able to control the iPOD - nor does the laughable attempt at iPOD integration when you pay a LOT more for it from Audi!!!!
    Spence

Gone at 80k: 2007 A3 Sportback 2.0T S-Line S-Tronic Mauritius Blue
    (4 S-Tronic boxes, 3 Mechatronics Units, 2 Dual Mass flywheels, 2 sets of engine mounts)
    Gone at 32k: 2005 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 140 S-Line DSG
    Ebony Black

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by OutLore
    I got one in the USA and while it does require a retune every now and then, there are always plenty of free frequencies at the top and bottom end of the FM spectrum, there are no issues with sound quality - it's a little bit hissy if I crank it right up, but hey, I am 34 so that isn't going to happen. Mine also charges the iPOD.

As for not being able to control the iPOD - nor does the laughable attempt at iPOD integration when you pay a LOT more for it from Audi!!!!
    Don't know which brand you're talking about or where in the country you are.

In London there are that many Radio stations broadcasting it's impossible to find a free frequency. Same in most big Cities around the UK.

When I had one (with a previous car) I was forever retuning the damn thing. It became very annoying. On one particular journey from Lincolnshire to Devon I had to retune a total of eleven times.

The Audi OEM unit does control the iPOD. It's not perfect but the sound quality is far superior to the FM modulators. All IMO of course.

I'm not saying they are terrible. For some the fact that you don't have to do any wiring or removal of any trim/radio etc is a definite deciding factor.
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

Reverse Gear

Status
    the ones with a seperate power source (rather than powered by the ipod) are much better quality and gererally quite usable - and they charge your ipod at the same time.

VOIP Dude

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marms
    Don't know which brand you're talking about or where in the country you are.

In London there are that many Radio stations broadcasting it's impossible to find a free frequency. Same in most big Cities around the UK.

When I had one (with a previous car) I was forever retuning the damn thing. It became very annoying. On one particular journey from Lincolnshire to Devon I had to retune a total of eleven times.

The Audi OEM unit does control the iPOD. It's not perfect but the sound quality is far superior to the FM modulators. All IMO of course.

I'm not saying they are terrible. For some the fact that you don't have to do any wiring or removal of any trim/radio etc is a definite deciding factor.
    I'm in North London, but I do travel the length and width of the country and I would have to say retuning is not a massive issue, but that's me.

Not sure on the brand, but it has a cradle built in and plugs directly into the cigarette lighter socket, then you slot the pod into it. It wasn't cheap by US standards, about $45 I think - but this is WAY cheaper than they are here!!!

They are far from perfect, but for me, it offers an acceptible solution.

My boss has just got an A6 with the multimedia pack, which actually controls the iPod properly - displays track names and album names etc. Now if that were an option on the A3 then I would have taken it, without doubt....
    Spence

Gone at 80k: 2007 A3 Sportback 2.0T S-Line S-Tronic Mauritius Blue
    (4 S-Tronic boxes, 3 Mechatronics Units, 2 Dual Mass flywheels, 2 sets of engine mounts)
    Gone at 32k: 2005 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 140 S-Line DSG
    Ebony Black

is a retronaut

Status
    www.caraudioplus.com.uk have some good stuff. I've got my sony mp3 player in the cubby hole above my ashtray using a cable from the back of my head unit. Will also fit my next audi :D
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

My BM is fixed!

Status
    these FM transmitters are next to useless in london, ok if you live somewhere where there is only 2 or 3 stations but in the capital there are about 200.
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net