Vag.Com Commands

A5GUR

Reaction score
Hopefully i should be picking up my S3 on Saturday (cant wait). Its already arrived at the dealership but im not going to get a chance to get there until Saturday. Whilst its just 'sitting' there, is there anything i can ask them to do with it.

I remeber on my MK4 R32 you could activate a beeping noise when the alarm was switched on and the auto lock featured after 20mph etc etc via vag.com. Although im sure my car already has the auto lock feature. thanks

A couple of things it may be worth considering as to how you want them coded.

1. Selective Unlocking - either coded so that one press on the remote unlocks all doors or just the drivers door with a second press required to unlock the passenger door and tailgate.

2. Dash panel lighting. Older A3s always used to have the dash panel lighting on at all times but they have now changed it so that it's only on when the car lighting is on. Personally I prefer the original setup and had it coded accordingly.

Also for information, the dealers don't use VAG.COM. That's purely an after-market program. The dealers use their Audi VAS 5051 vehicle diagnostic, testing and information system.

You can code the alarm to confirm lock and unlock with a bleep as well as the autolocking and unlock (the same as the Golf) I have done both on my 8P.

There is a whole host of options available see http://en.openobd.org/audi/a3_8p.htm

for some.

Personally I disabled the selective unlocking as most of the time I either have a passenger (Mrs) or something to put in the boot.

Paul

Interesting responses. Anyone in the Sheffield area fancy turning on my dash lights and alarm beeps? The dash lighting is a new one on me and my local independent had no luck with the beeps.

:)

rich1068 said:
Interesting responses. Anyone in the Sheffield area fancy turning on my dash lights and alarm beeps? The dash lighting is a new one on me and my local independent had no luck with the beeps.

:)

I didn't managed to do it the first time round either when it belonged to James. I since learnt a fair bit more about the car, you have to do a long coding change to enable to beeps.

Paul

I used to have tear drop wiping ( when after using the screeen wash, it wipes, then there is a short delay and you get an extra wipe), so will ask to ahve it again when they service it, will they charge?

Does anyone know the coding for that feature?

giblets46 said:
will they charge?

Depends on the dealer. Mine would charge you for parking if they could. They wanted to charge me 1/2 hours labour to 'try' and turn the beeps on.

I may give that one a try on mine next time I hook my cable up.

That'll be to tell the canbus gateway that it no longer has an Audi stereo.

I'll try the same thing and also the flashing brake light, nice safety feature.

Byte 17 Bit 0 Emergency Brake Flash Light active

Why not buy one now direct from the USA whilst the US dollar is buy one get on free? You only need a micro can interface for the A38P which is a little cheaper.

Regards, John.

I think it flashes the brake light to show when you are braking really hard and have activated the EBD thingy. I've seen it on some mercs. I drove a few cars on the driving experience recently (3.2TT, S6 and RS4) and all these cars flashed the indicators when you got the ABS and EBD working. I've tried to get mine to do it, but all it wants to do is stop. It's worth a test me thinks!

Regards, John.

I used to have tear drop wiping ( when after using the screeen wash, it wipes, then there is a short delay and you get an extra wipe.

I've had this feature on all my previous A3s but it's not there on my current 2007 A3 Sportback. But having said that, my current one doesn't need it. On all the other I always the run of water up the screen after the wiper had finished the wash/wipe sequence but I don't get on my current car.

Perhaps the change of wipers to the lastest designed has stopped it occurring.

JohnS3 said:
I think it flashes the brake light to show when you are braking really hard and have activated the EBD thingy. I've seen it on some mercs. I drove a few cars on the driving experience recently (3.2TT, S6 and RS4) and all these cars flashed the indicators when you got the ABS and EBD working. I've tried to get mine to do it, but all it wants to do is stop. It's worth a test me thinks!

Regards, John.

OK tested the flashing brake lights option. It doesn't flash the brake light like I thought. It flashed the hazzards when you hit the brakes really hard, just like the RS4 S6 and TT I drove at Silverstone. Dohh!

It's a nice feature, not sure why it isn't on as standard and this safety mad country we live in.

Regards, John.

h5djr said:
I've had this feature on all my previous A3s but it's not there on my current 2007 A3 Sportback. But having said that, my current one doesn't need it. On all the other I always the run of water up the screen after the wiper had finished the wash/wipe sequence but I don't get on my current car.

I enabled this feature too. It only works on the rear window, not on the front that I could tell. However I do have rain sensitive wipers so it may not function on the front.

Regards, John.

h5djr said:

No, they replaced the delayed courtesy wipe with a slower final downstroke at the end of the wash/wipe cycle. I find it clears the remaining splashes better than the old system.

Locking-wise, I have it set to single-press for a full unlock, drive-away locking at 10mph and unlocking on key removal.

To the OP: Before getting the alarm beep activated I'd consider how popular this will make you with the neighbours when you return home late at night :)

It isn't that loud - try it. I like the confirmation as I quite often lock mine as walking away and the locks are so quiet on the A3 that you don't hear them lock.

Like the emergency flash of the Hazards think I will enable that one.

I think a visit is in order to Audi though for me as it seems like I have a noisey CV joint. A metalic clicking from the front that I can trigger turning right and giving it some gas.

Paul

Hello

can anyone tell me where to get the vag com cable and software from ?

many thanks

I went for the micro can cable. It's all you need for the 8P A3 and is a litle cheaper than the full blown cable.

Regards, John.

Thanks! And where is the port connector in the car (A3 8P sprortback)?

The connector is right under the dashboard at the drivers side. Follow the curve of the dash down till it meets the upright trim next to the accelerator and you should be able to feel the plug. You would need to have your head right in the foot well to actually see the plug.

Regards, John.

Whats the difference between all the cables? HEX-COM, HEX-USB, MICRO CAN? Presumably the connector and the data rate?

The cables line up like this -

HEX-COM+CAN - Serial port connector works on K-line and CAN equiped cars
HEX-USB+CAN - As above with USB connector
Micro-CAN - USB connector and only works with CAN equiped cars
KEY-COM - Serial port connector works on K-line cars only
KEY-USB - USB connector works on K-line cars only

K line is slow at 10.4kbps and CAN is much faster at 500kbps

HTH

Regards, John.

is it possible to 2007 a3 models to change steering power assistance(44)(1-8=hard-soft)?
i heard that you cant with vag-com but you do with vas

Are we sure the dash lights are turned off during the day? My car seems to vary the dash lighting depending on how dark it is, if I drive under trees for instance it seems to get brighter.

In the manual it says dash lighting is activated during the day but goes off when it gets dark ( to remind you do switch your lights on ) and that it is controlled by a photo-electirc sensor.

Mind you I have auto-lights so it doesn't do that!

I guess the VAG-COM thing makes it permanently on at full brightness.

I had my instruments lights set to 'always on' by the dealer before I collected my current A3.

They also set 'one press opening all doors' and autolocking. The autolocking is much better than it used to be. On my previous A3 if autolock had activated a passenger needed to pull the internal door handle twice, once to unlock and again to open the door but now the single pull does both at the same time.

I might look into buying one of those with the dollar the way it is at the minute. I suppose it would be possible to recoup some of the cost by charging a "nominal" fee to fellow audi drivers who wanted some work done.

I did just that, it's a great tool to have. I've helped out a few local owners with various requests.

Regards, John.

EC68 said:
is it possible to 2007 a3 models to change steering power assistance(44)(1-8=hard-soft)?
i heard that you cant with vag-com but you do with vas

Welcome!!

I'm unsure about using the VAS system to change the settings, but Audi have changed the steering assistance register in the 07 models, when we find out what it is then we should be able to change it with Vagcom.

MarcQuinlivan said:
their webpage doesn't quote a shipping price. do you know if it is included?

I paid $36 shipping on top of the cable costs.

Regards, John.

so its not that audi has locked this feature and it cant be done but we cant find the address of it
i quess that audi service with vas they will know how this is done
is this correct?