Audi S3 cold air intake.... ?

nadir

Reaction score
hello i have a audi s3 @ 2007 and i want to change the intake what do u recomand ?

what is better for my engine?
ATM i have an green filter but i want an full intake not just a sport air filter

Nadir,

I have a carbonio Cold Air Intake on mine which is cool. I believe it should fit the S3 as well. Speak with awesome GTI, thats where i got mine, they also do a neuspeed induction kit for the 8P model which replaces parts of the engine cover etc...

Hope this helps!

Eeef said:
how much time and money do you guys think Audi invest in working out the best air flow solution?

Not enough fella, hence why on the standard inlet scoop it has a hole in the back which lets a huge amount of the good cold air coming through the grill go to waste. Where as the carbonio system scoops it all up and puts it down the pipe to the filter.

now i have an green air filter but i`m looking for an cold intake...

and soon i will have the stage2 SKN software.

What happened to "induction kits do more bad then good"... or am I thinking of something different?
I mention induction kits because isn't a cold air intake apart of an induction kit?

the likes of carbino are forced air induction where they use a scoop

a standard induction kit is just a cone situated near the front of the car with no direct form of cold air feed

forced air induction:
picture031custom3xq.jpg

normal iduction kit:

Shao - thats exactly the type of intake im trying not to promote

reason being is that it does not have a direct cold feed, just from when ever you are driving and has not protection

the main idea of forced air indutcion is that it is a sealed scoop, covering the filter, maximising the amount of air to be sucked in. the majority of warm air going in on previous kits its very very small!

Oettinger provide a replacement part:
4035.jpeg

4036.jpeg

I have asked the local Oettinger for advise on this, and if it just looks pretty or provides any benefit, but they dont seem to be very quick in coming back to me these days........

Aha I see. Thanks for clearing that up but how much would it cost to shell out on one of those?
And are they basically the "best" type of induction you can buy or is there better...

How about paper filters, are they better than forced air inductions?

panel filters are good - im planning one for my TDI, from what i have heard on VW and Seat sites they free up quite a bit and show a considerable difference!

for the sake of £45 you may as well try it!

Shao_khan said:
Oettinger provide a replacement part:
4035.jpeg

4036.jpeg

I have asked the local Oettinger for advise on this, and if it just looks pretty or provides any benefit, but they dont seem to be very quick in coming back to me these days........

The Carbonio is the same piece of kit but considerably cheaper.

I have one. However, I am under no illusions that it is much more than a 'tart' mod :D

EAGLE79 said:
Not enough fella, hence why on the standard inlet scoop it has a hole in the back which lets a huge amount of the good cold air coming through the grill go to waste. Where as the carbonio system scoops it all up and puts it down the pipe to the filter.

Where exactly is this hole? Do you have a picture?

Eeef said:

Probably free up about 5bhp max I guess. It may flatten out the power curve at the top end a little and (guessing here) stop some heatsoak on hot days?

Overall it's mainly a cosmetic mod, but I imagine would work well with a remap and free flow exhaust/cat.

sound interesting ;)) from where i can have on?

Hi
We are the main distributors for Carbonio in this country
We have had good gains with quite a few of these , the R32 saw 10bhp gain
It is throttle response that can be the main performance gains
As there is more air going through , you put your foot down and the response will be far quicker
I have just done a bit of an induction kit on my Fabia and I was grinning from ear to ear for the full drive that I did whick was 120 miles +
The sound and the looks are fantastic from Carbonio , carbon fibre too and it is quality carbon fibre so much so that Pipercross purchase their carbon fibre for their intakes from Carbonio
We have sold quite a few of these
Sarah

I must say that I did trial a few various kits on my old TT with RR results for each.

With stock airbox car got 274.9bhp, a couple of the kits actually showed a 17bhp loss :eek:

THey do sound nice tho :D

AwesomeSarah said:
Hi
We are the main distributors for Carbonio in this country
We have had good gains with quite a few of these , the R32 saw 10bhp gain
It is throttle response that can be the main performance gains
As there is more air going through , you put your foot down and the response will be far quicker
I have just done a bit of an induction kit on my Fabia and I was grinning from ear to ear for the full drive that I did whick was 120 miles +
The sound and the looks are fantastic from Carbonio , carbon fibre too and it is quality carbon fibre so much so that Pipercross purchase their carbon fibre for their intakes from Carbonio
We have sold quite a few of these
Sarah

I'm glad to see everyone reads peoples responses!

I posted straight away about this item and where to get it and now ages down the line someone else goes on about it, then asks where to get one! LOL

Read the thread! :keule: :)

Sarah, thank god you got involved! Easy to fit as well.

EAGLE79, you did indeed post about where to get a Carbonio intake. However, I was asking about the Oettinger. Fair play though as I didn't make it clear.

And if you read my post ^^^ you'll find the Oettinger and the Carbonio are the same item but with different stickers.

:)

So do Oettinger source these from Carbonio and simply rebadge them? I thought the Oettinger one looked a different shape.

Thanks for the clarification :sorry:

I dropped into RSD last week to ask about the Oettinger intake, and was told I'd get a call. I was curious if they felt it offered any improvement at all.

Still waiting for the call........

Hmm...

Oettinger...

1a902602.jpg

...and a Carbonio yesterday...

63de426f.jpg

Or is it the other way around? Not sure.

rich1068 said:
And if you read my post ^^^ you'll find the Oettinger and the Carbonio are the same item but with different stickers.

:)

Rich, ageed mate.

I wasn't saying about them being the same just that the best option is the air intake system by either Carbonio or oettinger. Not an induction kit as you do not always get the benefits it should give the engine.

This part just replacs the existing OEM part and can be done on ya drive in about 10mins flat. It then forces more cold air down to your filter/ turbo. This will help more if you get the car re-mapped.

I have mixed thoughts on these, The Ottinger version is around £350 which I think is over the top.

As far as them being a engine tart up mod, I think they look very good and in this respect probably worth it.

Audi would have to make certian compromises when making the stock intake and maybe a fully enclosed version would offer an increase, but I think that until a full back to back test can be published, I will remain non partial.

I would have worries about the possibility of too much force of air hitting the air mass meter, but I could be wrong here.

MattS said:
I would have worries about the possibility of too much force of air hitting the air mass meter, but I could be wrong here.

Whats this - especially with Audis History of using cheap components in this area???

I am trying to Book some time on a rooling road for before / after comparisons, if I could get hold of one of these then I could also see if there is any improvement with this fitted as its such a quick change - So if Carbonio or Oettinger are listening and you want to lend me one we'll get some figures ;)

MattS said:
I have mixed thoughts on these, The Ottinger version is around £350 which I think is over the top.

What's the sticker made out of? Gold leaf?

£165 from Awesome.

I'm a big believer of if it aint broke don't fix it on airboxes and filters, to me the factory option is always the better one as was on the 8L S3.

I know my car is different , but I did an intake mod on my car and the throttle response was fantasticly different
When it comes to OEM boxes , they have so much to take in to account as some people may not want the growl of an induction kit and they also have emmsions limits etc.
So if everything the manufacturer did was the best , the likes of me would not have a job
One saying I have heard is that black and white tv`s was good until they brought out colour :) makes me smile every time
Sarah

I'm planning to tune my 2.0TDI through remap + miltek hi-flow/turbo back exhaust (which ever it is) system.

Is it wise to invest in one of these intake mods?

When I got my first proper car at the age of 19 I was keen to get a couple more horses out of my MG ZR 1.8 16v (non vvc).

First thing I did was get a Pippercross Viper forced air indication kit.

And I can categorically confirm that throttle response is the best gain and without question you will also see a increase in bhp. This I can confirm as we did a test at a rolling road meet where a chap rollered his car before and after he installed his new filter at the meet. It was a massive 7bhp, and many doubters where soon converted.

Not all kits are the same and there is a load of crap on that market that does shed your bhp.

Basicly these are the main things to think about.

Open induction Kits will give you a very nice inducation roar! However the cone is normally fitted close to the engine itself and this could have a negative effect as warm air produced from the engine will get sucked in, and this you don’t want. The colder the air is the denser it is. This equates to more air being sucked into the engine.

Shield Induction Kits is basically a open cone with a heat shield minimizing warm air induction.

Enclosed Induction Kits is a performance air filter inside an enclosed box with a direct air feed from the front bumper. This is the best solution and is the one you def want to go for. The induction noise will be louder then stock, but it will not be as dominant as an open kit. They also tend to be the most expensive choice.

Another thing to think about is the material the filter is made from.

Foam - Will give a deep roar
Cotton - Gives a higher pitched noise
Stainless Steel - Produces a turbo style whistle.

Check out BMC filters if you want quality and have cash to burn. They make boxes for F1 teams and will build you a custom box if you are willing to pay.

Ok, so I bought a Carbonio/Oettinger CAI and installed it tonight. No point arguing about pros and cons without trying it for myself.

What a difference! I'm not sure if it's because my car is remapped or if the difference would be as apparent with the standard map. The main difference is the lack of lag. It revs much more freely than before. The power delivery is also far smoother than it was previously.

I had pondered on this for a while before buying but I'm glad I did. The standard intake looks pretty restrictive and flimsy by comparison.

Has anyone else done this mod to an S3? I guess those with this mod and no remap would see little difference if the standard intake is optimized for the standard map.

Those of you who talk about the potential losses when installing these intakes, I have a question. How can you measure the efficiency of an aerodynamic modification in a static environment at a constant velocity? Surely the airflow being directed through the intake would need to be varied as the speed on the dyno increased. Most dyno’s I’ve seen have insufficient airflow at fixed velocities. Regardless of how good a fan is, it cannot provide the same level of airflow as physically channeling the air into the intake whilst driving.

Please feel free to discuss.