no bluefin for 170 TDI

steve184

Reaction score
Sent superchips an email and they replied saying they would not be releasing a bluefin unit for the 170 apparently 'because it has a completely different engine management system than anything to date' according to them. They will only be offering the 'normal' fixed tuning on this car which gets you to 200bhp and 430NM or torque.

I also asked how this tuning is handled by DSG gearboxes given their apparent torque limitations compared with normal manuals and they replied saying in their tests the DSGs can 'easily' handle the power/torque that their remaps give, ie, they are saying 430NM is fine!

Yet there was rumours it could only handle 350NM (obviously rubbish! given that standard 170 TDIs can make more than this.

Yet there was rumours it could only handle 350NM (obviously rubbish! given that standard 170 TDIs can make more than this.

The 'rumours' about the 350Nm limit probably come from a article published in July 2003 saying that the DSG was designed for a torque capacity of 350Nm. Since the DSG was first used in the A3 range there have been 27 different versions and not doubt a lot more testing.

well just sharing what they told me anyway.

Having driven a 170 TDI A3 both in manual and S-Tronic forms, I was convinced the manual had more torque, but it may have just been an illusion as the gear ratios are different and S-Tronic does seem to mask some of the performance unless you watch the speedo. It would be interesting to do some side by side tests using DSG in manual and comparing performance though.

So is anyone considering this on their 170?

well i'm not sure - i don't like the idea of 'fixed chips' for warranty reasons - however i did like the idea of bluefin even though its more expensive. My other option is a tuning box like from orignaltuningbox.com - they quote 204bhp only thing they dont offer any kind of warranty top up like superchips but they are TUV approved.