Being light footed has saved me £10!

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Since i filled my car up last Friday i decided to be as light footed as possible to see what i could get out of a tank of fuel.

Using it to and from work (15miles each way) and the supermarket run etc going through towns and traffic, no motorway driving. Used full throttle about 6 times for overtaking.

I filled it up today with 370miles on the trip and the DIS showing that i still had 60miles worth of fuel left in the tank. The needle was just about to get to the 'fill me up mark'.

Filled it to the top with 49 litres of V-Power so i had 11litres still in the tank.

Usually i have to put 55litres in with 330 odd miles on the trip.

So by driving like a woman i have saved £10!

But it was boring driving like a woman!

My sympathy with your situation...

I was doing OK saying below 4000 rpm on the new motor whilst bedding-in all the bits, now I am at 1300 miles and I am starting to discover the fun involved in the old past time of 'right foot welly', or 'concrete shoes' the fuel gauge seems to move to empty as fast as the needle goes towards the red line!

Only think that is keeping me smiling is the noise the turbo and exhaust make, which is something else for a little 4 pot motor... :nyah:

Unfortunatley I guess you don't have that to keep you company whilst you are being envornmentally reckless! :sorry:

I've got a new Boxster 2.7 and I can't believe that I've just got around 40 miles extra in it than I would the A3!!!

Just shows how much the 2.0T was eating the fuel - a fekin Porsche is more economical!

yeah... same here! My S3 drinks fuel like a guy lost in desert sips water!! Not complaining as I knew what I was buying, no regrets here. It is very normal in high power petrol turbo engines...

Funny, my friends 2.0T TT has a much better fuel economy... I guess the extra weight, quattro, aerodinamics and extra power make for the difference...

Give me an electric or eco friendly car that puts the same grin in my face and I will buy it. After all petrol will run out someday...

One last thing... I recycle.

Pedro

RobinA3 said:
So by driving like a woman i have saved £10!

But it was boring driving like a woman!

That's good to hear that you got more out of your tank by driving 'like a woman', but it must have been an old woman or a really slow one, as i don't drive like a woman and i am a woman :eyebrows:.

On my old car (1.4 tigra) i was getting 230-240 max out of the tankfull and when i got my A3 1.8t i thought it's be even worse. however, i am getting about 300 before the beep says i need to top up and when i do top up, i can only fit in 44lts. so does that mean that i still have about 10-11lts left in the tank?

Whilst driving like a woman is still funny for non-PC conformists, I think it should be replaced with something more PC such as "driving like Hoke Colburn", as we like to say at work when someone is "driving like a woman".

Although I am chuffed that we can start calling stuff "gay" again when it is naff, without crossing the PC brigade.....

Happy days..........:thumbsup:

mitch78 said:
The chauffeur from Driving Miss Daisy. It's amazing what you can find out with Google! :)

Very good Mitch, I knew someone would find out straight away...

d3fy said:
OMG the PC brigade have tracked us down! Run for the hills

I assume you realise that I am taking the ****...........

Robin,
Just got back from a 200 mile trip, thrashing mine with its DSG flappy paddles over snake pass both ways and covering 150 miles of motorway at 80-85mph. I averaged 51mpg (well that's what the DIS says - given that it over reads by 10%, that'll be 47mpg really).

Having had 2 petrol Alfa 156s, and this being my first ever diesel experience for a hardened petrol-head after thirty years of driving, I can honestly say that I can't see myself going back to petrol again....