Windscreen chip on motorway...

sat1983

Reaction score
....... as much as I love this car it's been non stop bits and pieces happening it to it!! Out of what seemed nowhere heard this all mighty whack on the windscreen, lorry in front was well in front, always leave a good distance but evidently it must not have been enough... Anyway, caused no crack just a tiny spot but its about 1mm deep. Cause for concern or does it happen to you guys a few times a year?

It's best to get it checked and repaired (if required) before it becomes a problem.

You insurance should (may) have a free windscreen repair policy, check your paperwork...

I've just had this happen on the S4! I've only had the car a couple of months and it's needed 4 new tyres and a new windscreen! After it happened, I contacted my insurance provider, as they repair stone chips for free, but unluckily the stone must of hit the windscreen twice close together and was apparently not repairable, so i've had to have a whole new screen!!

When you get the insurance to pay for it, does it count as a claim?

I don't have my NCB protected because I can't (under 21 or something), will I lose all that if I get insurer to pay on my behalf? I also have 2 chips on my windscreen!

Had mine repaired on the insurance and it didn't count as a claim.
Its also guaranteed for against any cracks eminating from the repair while I own the car.

I have an excess policy for complete windscreen and that's £50 but for repaired chips, I don't have to pay a thing. Neither of these effect my NCB and I'm led to believe most insurance companies are the same...it'll be worth a call.

I read somewhere that most stonechips are caused by stones from the opposite carriageway, not from the cars/trucks in front of you.

Windscreens are not counted as claims, however, when you get a quote for insurance thay sometimes ask if you've claimed for a windscreen. Insurance companies will try fleece you at every opportunity.

Same thing happened to me - been looking for a free roadside type thing to fill it and smooth it over for me. The mrs had hers done the other week by the RAC and the windscreen looks like new now.

Oh and it was free!!

Make sure you insist on an Audi windscreen to keep it all original.

I had mine replaced a few months ago by RAC - two weeks later I get a stone chip that cracks straight away ! Going to leave it for a bit as its on the passenger side.