AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
    4th Gear

Status

Windscreen chip on motorway...

....... as much as I love this car it's been non stop bits and pieces happening it to it!! Out of what seemed nowhere heard this all mighty whack on the windscreen, lorry in front was well in front, always leave a good distance but evidently it must not have been enough... Anyway, caused no crack just a tiny spot but its about 1mm deep. Cause for concern or does it happen to you guys a few times a year?
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    It's best to get it checked and repaired (if required) before it becomes a problem.

You insurance should (may) have a free windscreen repair policy, check your paperwork...
    A4 2.0TDI S Line (2008)
    MMI/Sat Nav, Parking System Advanced, Advanced Key

Neutral

Status
    I've just had this happen on the S4! I've only had the car a couple of months and it's needed 4 new tyres and a new windscreen! After it happened, I contacted my insurance provider, as they repair stone chips for free, but unluckily the stone must of hit the windscreen twice close together and was apparently not repairable, so i've had to have a whole new screen!!

5th Gear

Status
    When you get the insurance to pay for it, does it count as a claim?

I don't have my NCB protected because I can't (under 21 or something), will I lose all that if I get insurer to pay on my behalf? I also have 2 chips on my windscreen!
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

4th Gear

Status
    How big are the chips on your windscreen??
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

1st Gear

Status
    Had mine repaired on the insurance and it didn't count as a claim.
    Its also guaranteed for against any cracks eminating from the repair while I own the car.
    --------------------------------------
    Now: A3 Sportback 2.0TDi Sport, Akoya silver, black alcantara/leather, Bose.

Gone: A3 2.0TDi Sport, Lava Grey
    A3 (8L) 1.9TDi Sport, Silver

Four Wheel Drifting

Status
    I have an excess policy for complete windscreen and that's £50 but for repaired chips, I don't have to pay a thing. Neither of these effect my NCB and I'm led to believe most insurance companies are the same...it'll be worth a call.
    Unmolested Ming blue S3 (so it doesn't handle or stop very well), Bose, sunroof and centre armrest but no heated seats - Gone but not forgotten although I am enjoying the new 350CLK!

PSN - S3hawkster

Controversial & Contradictive

Status
    I read somewhere that most stonechips are caused by stones from the opposite carriageway, not from the cars/trucks in front of you.

Windscreens are not counted as claims, however, when you get a quote for insurance thay sometimes ask if you've claimed for a windscreen. Insurance companies will try fleece you at every opportunity.
    53 A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport 180 Tiptronic. Heated Buffalino leather, DVD Sat Nav RNS-E, TV, Bluetooth, 6 cd, BOSE, Colour DIS, Cruise Control, Auto lights and mirrors, Interior light pack, Heated mirrors.

Top Gear

Status
    Same thing happened to me - been looking for a free roadside type thing to fill it and smooth it over for me. The mrs had hers done the other week by the RAC and the windscreen looks like new now.

Oh and it was free!!
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

Missed gear

Status
    Make sure you insist on an Audi windscreen to keep it all original.

I had mine replaced a few months ago by RAC - two weeks later I get a stone chip that cracks straight away ! Going to leave it for a bit as its on the passenger side.
    B7 A4 Avant S-line Special Edition v2 2.0 TFSi - AmD stage 1 - 263Bhp 396Nm