Sounds daft- checking oil level??

sat1983

Reaction score
Has anyone understood the dipstick?? Having had a mk3 golf before the A3, checking oil level was simple, and clearly marked min/ok/max.
The A3 dispstick just seems like a load of different shapes??
Also for A3s fitted without DIS, would the yellow "oil level top up required" sign come up??
Thanks

Looking at my Sportback Owners Manual it seems that if the 'Check Oil Level' light comes on continuuously then you should check the oil level and if it flashes, then the oil level sensor id defective.

As for the dip stick, it is a bit strange but the oil level should be within the middle section between the two raised areas, if you see what I mean.

and my understanding is that if the light comes on then your way too late and its already done damage

and my understanding is that if the light comes on then your way too late and its already done damage

Obviously Audi don't think so because the warning symbol is only a Yellow one rather than a much more urgent Red one.

According to the Handbook - Yellow symbols are accompanied by one warning chime. The function indicated should be checked as soon as possible.

d3fy said:

Yeah 10 miles after my oil warning light came on ........ the engine seized!! :sos: :jester:

on my last car (VW Bora PD150) it did not come on at all, I ruined the top end of the engine completely and it still let me drive with no warning lights.

I had the top end re-built by VW and when I asked why there was no warning or anything and as to how the engine had lost all its oil only 2500 miles after a service they couldn't answer and said everything was working fine! :wtf:

David I sometimes think that you have a very unhealthy obsession with Audi. Is it measuring pressure or level?

d3fy he is correct the orange warning is simply that a warning - i have been told that this is set to come on way before you have any chance of casuing any damage - as long as you obey the warning and deal with it straight away.

I would say that even the old fashioned dipstick oil level is conservative, ie, the min level isn't really the min level, but a bit higher than minimum to give you a bit of breathing space. I've had cars in the past (which use oil) and had it so the oil isn't even touching the bottom of the dipstick and there hasn't been any problem at all - obviously im not suggesting this is the case with audis but my point is as with anything there is a healthy margin built into these warnings to make you keep you extra safe.