Late Licensing Penalty

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have just received a letter from the DVLA imposing a £80 fine because they claim I did not notify them when I sold my car in March. The dealer and myself both signed the V5C section on the V5 document and I posted it off the the DVLA. But it seems that it is my responsibilty to chase the DVLA if I do not receive an acknowledge letter from them within 4 weeks. Mind you details of this are printed on the back of the V5C, so having already sent this off to them, unless I make a full copy before I send it, I have no way of being aware of this. I can only assume the V5C got lost in the post or was received by the DVLA and did not get actioned properly. Now I am to be fined for someone else not doing their job properly.

I did actually take a copy of the front of the V5C and have sent this to them. So I will wait and see what happens.

Makes you wonder why we abide by the law and register our cars in the first place.

I always use the courier department of our company for V5's.
I can track it and I get a POD.
I suppose registered post would work as well,I dunno.
I agree you shouldn't have to do this,but it's only once every couple of years or so,so no big deal.

I would probably do the same if it was the actual V5 document, but this is just a 3" tear of strip at the bottom of one of the pages.

The problem is there not necessarly saying they did not receive it, but that I should have chased up the acknowledgement letter if I didn't receive it with 4 weeks. But this piece of information is on the form that I sent back to them!

The DVLA seem very lax at the moment.
I know of a couple of people, including the wife, who have sent their V5 away due to a change of address and not receive a replacement.
When we realised and checked it out we had to pay for a replacement.

ianspibs said:
The DVLA seem very lax at the moment.
I know of a couple of people, including the wife, who have sent their V5 away due to a change of address and not receive a replacement.
When we realised and checked it out we had to pay for a replacement.

Just a thought - why not turn it around the other way and enter a formal complaint against the DVLA that they are losing correspondence?

The usual MO for such bodies is to assume that the other party is in the wrong since that is the easy path for them. Undoubtedly, there are plenty of chancers out there who will swear black and blue that they did something whilst knowing full well that it is untrue. A formal complaint, however, especially if from more than one person, is the way of telling them that just possibly they do have a problem. After all, you sent the documents in good faith and presumably according to their instructions, so you have good grounds for complaint even more so if they are expecting you to pay for the mistake. They cannot tell you that you should have used special delivery because they don't do that themselves when sending out documents. It is not unknown for bad or lazy practices to creep into systems handling vast amounts of mail, and such things need to be identified and rectified early in order to prevent them from becoming a disaster or dishonest practices!

Challenge them to check that their own house is in order.

Following various letters and phone calls it seems that I have no choice but to pay the fine.

So beware when you change your car. Make sure you send off the V5C slip to the DVLA and make sure that you chase them up if you do not receive an acknowledgement letter from them with 4 weeks.

Sold my old car about 7 weeks ago.. so by the sounds of things will need to chase up the DVLA.. again ! :banghead:

Already had to chase them up every other day to make sure our V778 was being processed without any issues :rolleyes: . If there's something wrong on your application form then they just don't get back to you until you ring them and ask why the f**k is it taking so long ! :( .

Rant over.. :)

-Sal-

If anyone does have to phone the DVLA, rather than use the more expensive 0870 number try using their geographical number 01792 782341.