Are all the wiring harnesses the same?

Staz

is a retronaut
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing a retrofit door light (ie the light on the side of the door which comes on when it's open). Do audi use the same harness when they build the car and just add the extra when necessary?

I have been told that each loom in individual to the car and the options that it has on it....

staz1000 said:
I was thinking about doing a retrofit door light (ie the light on the side of the door which comes on when it's open). Do audi use the same harness when they build the car and just add the extra when necessary?

The cost of producing a unique harness for each car would be extremely unprofitable for any car maker.

Most vehicles have a standard harness and I've noticed lots of unused plugs and taped connectors on quite a few cars I've had.

No doubt someone on here will know for certain, but it may be worth taking the door card off and seeing if there is a socket or hook up point ready and waiting.

I have just looked at the current Audi parts catalogue and it only lists a one wiring loom for each type of door with all the connectors for the various items included. There are obviously different looms for front and rear doors and for left and right hand drive but thats all, so it looks like you may be in luck.

I have made a PDF of the wiring loom for the drivers door of a right-hand drive car wihich may be of help.

Door Wiring Loom

Item 5 is the connector for door entry light and item 11 is the connector for door warning light.

h5djr said:
I have just looked at the current Audi parts catalogue and it only lists a one wiring loom for each type of door with all the connectors for the various items included. There are obviously different looms for front and rear doors and for left and right hand drive but thats all, so it looks like you may be in luck.

If this is the case then surely it should be easy enough to retro fit accessories such as Rear dimming mirror, Auto headlights, Auto wipers etc etc? Or is this a bit more complicated than just fitting a door light?