Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    is a retronaut

Status

Are all the wiring harnesses the same?

I was thinking about doing a retrofit door light (ie the light on the side of the door which comes on when it's open). Do audi use the same harness when they build the car and just add the extra when necessary?
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I have been told that each loom in individual to the car and the options that it has on it....
    Gone - A3 2.0 TDI (140) Sportback Sport

Now - BMW f10 520d

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000
    I was thinking about doing a retrofit door light (ie the light on the side of the door which comes on when it's open). Do audi use the same harness when they build the car and just add the extra when necessary?
    The cost of producing a unique harness for each car would be extremely unprofitable for any car maker.

Most vehicles have a standard harness and I've noticed lots of unused plugs and taped connectors on quite a few cars I've had.

No doubt someone on here will know for certain, but it may be worth taking the door card off and seeing if there is a socket or hook up point ready and waiting.

I have just looked at the current Audi parts catalogue and it only lists a one wiring loom for each type of door with all the connectors for the various items included. There are obviously different looms for front and rear doors and for left and right hand drive but thats all, so it looks like you may be in luck.

I have made a PDF of the wiring loom for the drivers door of a right-hand drive car wihich may be of help.

Door Wiring Loom

Item 5 is the connector for door entry light and item 11 is the connector for door warning light.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

The Damned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    I have just looked at the current Audi parts catalogue and it only lists a one wiring loom for each type of door with all the connectors for the various items included. There are obviously different looms for front and rear doors and for left and right hand drive but thats all, so it looks like you may be in luck.
    If this is the case then surely it should be easy enough to retro fit accessories such as Rear dimming mirror, Auto headlights, Auto wipers etc etc? Or is this a bit more complicated than just fitting a door light?

is a retronaut

Status
    Cheers guys.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.