Chris NottMonster Motorsport

Thread: 7 speed DSG

5th Gear

Status

7 speed DSG

VW have announced a new 7 speed version of its DSG gearbox.

Strangely it will only be used on the lower end engines such as the 1.4TSI as it can only handle a maximum of 168bhp and 184lb-ft of torque.

Out of interest anyone know what the max the current 6 speed version can handle?

2. # ADS
    ADS

windsurfer

Status
    that actually makes sense. Extra gears to "liven up" engines with low torque...

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

Status
    I seem to remember something about 280 lb-ft of torque being a limit set by VAG...can't remember where I got that from though...but it seems to tally up with all versions using it not exceeding that figure, despite the powerful diesels easily being able to do so.

Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

According to an article called "A different automatic" back in July 2003 the DSG was designed for a maximum torque capacity of 350 Nm (258 lb ft).
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    That'll make it 17% more sh*t then

;-)
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

5th Gear

Status
    well h5djr i doubt that will be the case on the 170 diesel as they would be failing left right and centre - it must have been uprated for this, as is commonly reported these engines regular produce more power and torque than audi state - its possible for a standard 140 to make 258lb-ft let alone a 170.