Laquer Issues

coupe-se

Reaction score
In January my A3 was keyed both sides front to back by school kids. The car went into a an 'Audi Approved' body shop and had both sides re-sprayed.

The laquer on the passenger side ONLY now has 3 burn marks from bird crap. I always clean any off as soon as I see it, and when we go out to walk the dogs in the evening I always have a quick look over the car.
The latest mark is a result of bird crap being on there for under 4 hours!!

If I get bird crap on any other part of the car and wash it off there is no marks, it only seems to be the passenger side.

Is it possible for the laquer to be faulty on this side? This may be a daft question but like most things are there different qualities of laquer available?

I'm going back to the body shop as at this rate my car is going look ****** awful in another year. Up to the re-spray I had no marks at all on the paint work since last August, it too much of a coincidence.

I really want to be forearmed with some backup info before I tackle them.

Any info would be very much appreciated. :salute:

I have this problem with audi factory paint all over my car so count yourself lucky it only happens on one section of your car!

I got a new weapon now - its called 3000 grit sand paper.

Is the factory lacquer harder than body shop lacquer? Perhaps bodyshop lacquer is less resistant?

How do you get on with the 3000 grit sand paper Steve - bit scary or ok? I sucessfully polished out some light lacquer scratches with some Megs Scratch X and Some AG SRP. Going to layer some Collinite 476s now, meant to be v durable.

Well i haven't had chance to try it yet but in theory it should be ok - i remember with my last A3 moro blue i had a massive splodge in the middle of the bonnet which left a right mess and i took it into an Audi/vw bodyshop and the guy there just spat on (to wet) and rubbed it with some fine sandpaper lightly then polished back the shine - it had totally dissapeared after that - and since 3000 grit is the finest sandpaper you can get i presume this will do the job - gonna be sensible though and and try it on an inconspicuous spot first.

I use megs scratch x too it is fantastic stuff.

By "megs" i assume you are talking about Meguirs????

Think I'll invest in some to remove some other minor blemishes.

Thanks Steve, let us know how you get on with the 3000 grit.

Coupe-se: yep, Megs = Meguiars. Scratch X is good but not really meant for whole panels, just to spot treat particular problems imho. I've found the Autoglym Super Resin Polish very good too. Used the Megs to remove (well enough so you don't notice it) a 4 inch scratch someone left on the petrol cap. Used the SRP to make less conspicuous some scratches where someone backed a bollard into me - you can't see them now unless you get on your hands and knees. I could probably polish them out more but am too scared of going through the lacquer! The Meguirs website forum is good for advice. Both these products are a little abrasive but not as much as T-Cut which can be scary - particularly if you press too hard and do it for too long! I still worry about using Scratch X and SRP!

Just put the Collinite 476 on - very good finish, fantastic beeding and meant to be one of the most durable waxes on the market. Even Bowfer agrees!

Hi

Feel your pain with the stains from bird poo, but my factory laqure has done just the same :-(

I am having the laqure heated to re float it and polished next weekend at my very trusted paint shop.

Chris.

PS My painter friend doing the work told me he had the same with a customers Q7 last week

I HAVEN'T visited the body shop yet and maybe that was a good thing.

I've spent a few hours thoroughly cleaning the car and found similar marks on the roof and bonnet.......... GUTTED!!! :ohmy:

Thankfully I've removed all of them completely by using a Meguirs clay bar and metallic paint wax polish. It didn't take too much effort which surprised me, I guess the surface of the laquer isn't that hard all over the car.

Just relieved to have panels back to prestine condition. :thumbsup:

Nearly px'd for a TT this afternoon on impulse when I popped into the local dealership. They had a 2 month old 2.0T with lots of toys fitted ......... the guy who bought it new was FORCED to return it by his wife as she didn't like it. The person that looked at it 5 minutes before me bought it on the spot!!! :3sadwalk: