1.8 T fsi.. couple questions

tracieburr

Newbie in Poole
Reaction score
Any known issues on the 1.8 T fsi engine ?
Or would I be better getting the 2.0 TDI 140 ?

I'm not a big fan of Diesels however the sales guy has convinced me to take one out which I will be doing along with the 1.8 on the 16th June, this is the earliest I can get to do a test drive what with work and family ties atm.

So I'm nearly ready to order at long, long last :)

My spec would be on either model

P. Black
Auto light/wipers
Ipod
Sport Upgrade
Interior light pack
Tyre monitor ( or is this a waste of time??, its only £45)
Parking Sensors ( again are these necessary and would the car hold its value better with these or not?)

Thankyou :)
Tracie

Parking sensors I think are a must as the rear visibility on the A3 is poor. On your test drive try and reverse park into a parking space to find out what you think. I park in muti-storeys every day and think they are ace!

Tyre monitor I think is worth the money, it has alerted me a couple of times of problems, it also has not alerted me when the tyre has been flat

Phantom Black looks brilliant, but you must get used to washing the car or it will look terrible in no time, and don't even think about taking to a car wash as the swirls and scratches will stand out like a sore thumb

I took a 140tdi out, I had it for 4 hours, I returned it after 10 mins. Noisy rattly, horrible.

Not seen any reviews of the new 1.8T yet, so you could be the first :)

Parking sensors or their other name 'girly sensors'

I agree the diesel is noisier but wouldn'st say its any rattlier than a petrol - but then compare 45mpg easy with 30mpg and it'll save you a fortune in fuel and will 'feel' quicker than the petrol even though its not on paper.

yeah, yeah, yeah what ever. If your bothered about mpg thou then you will get no better than a noisy smoky rattling 1.9, or of course you might like getting into a car that does not remind you of a Massey Ferguson ;)

Try a 170tdi you wont be dissapointed very quick when you want to be and 42 mpg.
As you are interested in residuals after 3 years of happy ownership of my tdi 140 sport I got 61% of original purchase price and I expect similar for 170tdi.You'll never get anywhere near that from a petrol.

Residual value in 2/ 3 yrs is fairly important, but won't the current line up of A3's take a hit when the new model comes out in 2009??
Petrol consumption isn't of too much importance as my journey to work is only a few miles down the road and my old MINI used to do around the 30 /33 mpg around town which suited me fine. If I was commuting more then yes it would be of importance :)
I have a budget of 19k ish (thats with an assumed discount ie price of 20-21k) plus I'm hoping to be able to buy the car outright without any hp or loans, I'm also wondering if this is a good idea or not??

Always a good idea not to borrow money unless you can get a 0% deal,no chance from audi.
Yes current model will take a small hit but it will be more pronounced when new model is actually available if they get it right.Diesel Tdi 170 will still depreciate less than any petrol .

and a TDI 170 S Tronic will depreciate even slower - Auto Diesels are pretty rare and very sought after.

dafty i test drove a 2.0T before i got my car and it felt flat as a pancake in comparison with my 140 tdi (let alone 170) it just didn't feel muscular it felt weedy - and thats the 2.0T not the 1.8T with 40bhp less! My mind was made up when my dealer advised me out of the two to get the diesel as the petrol values drop like stones.

I got 72% of the value back of my 04 140 sport (highly specced) after 2.5 years (thats including discount) return from full retail was nearly 67%.

You can only dream of those figures with petrol models.

still.... I prefer my flat pancake anyday of the week...

That only matters if planning to use the car to work or to change car very frequently... My S3 is all round so I really don't care about depreciation and I'm driving what I really want not what the market dictates.... choices I guess... enjoy your motors...

Lol

Pedro

tracieburr said:
Residual value in 2/ 3 yrs is fairly important, but won't the current line up of A3's take a hit when the new model comes out in 2009??
Petrol consumption isn't of too much importance as my journey to work is only a few miles down the road and my old MINI used to do around the 30 /33 mpg around town which suited me fine. If I was commuting more then yes it would be of importance :)
I get 29-30mpg from my 2.0T on the 4 mile trip to work (35-37mpg on long runs), so you should easily get 33mpg from the 1.8T.

Diesels do tend to hold their value better than petrol, but in the case of VAG, all of the current 4-cyl. diesels will at some point get replaced by common-rail units, so the old PD models will take a hit on value.

I agree with newbiecrg I would be rather driving something that I wanted to drive, than something I was driving because of better residuals and its cheaper to fill up. Hence why I have a petrol and you have a derv.