Best way to treat scuffed alloys?

KARL

Reaction score
See pictures below. The entrance to the car park I use is so tight I guess this was inevtiable but is there anyway to treat them without just buying replacements?

DSC00034.jpg

Sure - Ron @ Wicked Wheels. He runs a mobile service and is superb. Call him on 07900 694051 and tell him James with the black V6 clio sent you :icon_thumright:

Oh, and his speciality is Audis!

I heard bad things about wicked wheels onthis very forum do a search - apparently absolute crap! I'd leave it as is if i were you as once repaired the colour most probably won't match. Either live with it or buy a new wheel from audi - prob about £250 - bargain in my opinion.

I beg to differ - Ron did a perfect job on two V6 Clio wheels of mine, matching a very tricky Renault silver. The result - the refurbed wheels looked as new.

steve184 said:
I heard bad things about wicked wheels onthis very forum do a search - apparently absolute crap! I'd leave it as is if i were you as once repaired the colour most probably won't match. Either live with it or buy a new wheel from audi - prob about £250 - bargain in my opinion.

If everyone believed everything they heard, no one would own an S3...

Have only read two posts from you this morning so far, and both very negative...

The only way to go is by personal recommendation. I've used Wicked Wheels in MK and am happy with the result but I know they just fixed the problem area rather than doing the whole wheel which makes £70 an expensive repair.

The problem with people like Wicked Wheels and Chipsaway is that they're franchised so the quality can be very variable.

Macduff said:
The problem with people like Wicked Wheels and Chipsaway is that they're franchised so the quality can be very variable.

Exactly and if you're not happy with them, take them back!

I did try and they would not have anything to do with it.

'Hello, could you tell me we warranty you offer on your work, erm...well.. it depends, on what?.... well how bad they are but typically 12 months, oh OK, well you did mine 9 months ago and the lacquer if peeling off and the surfaces are pitted' oh OK well I will have to speak to the boss'

Several calls later and they where NOT interested at all in sorting out their **** work. Would you like me to post up some photos of what a Wicked Wheels job looks?

EDIT: These guys where based out of Manchester, avoid, avoid, avoid. Try asking around on http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/ for recommendations, these guys are anal about their cars and I got recommend this company http://c21dws.demonweb.co.uk/smp/wheelclinic.htm

d3fy said:
I did try and they would not have anything to do with it.

'Hello, could you tell me we warranty you offer on your work, erm...well.. it depends, on what?.... well how bad they are but typically 12 months, oh OK, well you did mine 9 months ago and the lacquer if peeling off and the surfaces are pitted' oh OK well I will have to speak to the boss'

Several calls later and they where NOT interested at all in sorting out their **** work. Would you like me to post up some photos of what a Wicked Wheels job looks?

EDIT: These guys where based out of Manchester, avoid, avoid, avoid. Try asking around on http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/ for recommendations, these guys are anal about their cars and I got recommend this company http://c21dws.demonweb.co.uk/smp/wheelclinic.htm

Stick some pics up mate.

I had a bad experience with Wicked Wheels as well and ending up taking them to Chipsaway and they did a great job but people slate them as well.

normski said:
If everyone believed everything they heard, no one would own an S3...

Have only read two posts from you this morning so far, and both very negative...

Tough.

I was pointing out that in my opinion no repair will be as good as original - hence if it were me id buy a new wheel. I don't see much negativity in that comment.

Things like this you can only go off 'what you hear' how else can you judge on who can do the job and who can't?

Dunno what relation this has on the S3 tho? Guess thats just another opportunity for you to point out that 'i can't help but notice that my car is considerably better than yours!' ala harry enfield.

steve184 said:
Tough.

I was pointing out that in my opinion no repair will be as good as original - hence if it were me id buy a new wheel. I don't see much negativity in that comment.

Things like this you can only go off 'what you hear' how else can you judge on who can do the job and who can't?

Dunno what relation this has on the S3 tho? Guess thats just another opportunity for you to point out that 'i can't help but notice that my car is considerably better than yours!' ala harry enfield.

What bearing does my comment have on the S3...I was illustrating that if we all listened to the reviews of the S3 we wouldn't have bought one...

And Steve, what car do you have? It is not on your sig, and to be honest I don't care if you have a metro or a Ferrari...I have an S3 and consider myself lucky, others have RS4's, or a 1.6 A3, and lucky them and I don't judge anyone on their car on here, and I fail to see where I have ever boasted about my car is better than anyone's...****

One thing I do know, is that I have never been pointlessly negative on this forum

I have to say that the biggest issue with getting wheels redone is colour match and I would therefore go for a new wheel and keep the old one until you destry another one then get 2 redone at the same time then you can add them to one side of the car so that no one will be able to see the colour difference. I have used spit & polish before and found them very good.

Its true, it simply a case of personal experience as most of these companies are franchised. I recently had my BWW ones done, and you will never get an exact match, but very close. Best thing is get both of the same side done. I had mine done from a bodyshop my company use. There is a place called lap-tab in birmingham www.lap-tab.co.uk . i know it sound like a strip club, but they are highly recommended. i know a couple of guys on uk-mkvs have used them.

Kam

I also can vouch for Lap-Tab in Birmingham, used them on a few cars over the years and found them helpfull and they do a good job, there is also a tyre dealer just around the corner (Bannings) that deals with the tyre side so you can take the car to them they remove the tyres, Lap-Tab pick up wheels and return them to the dealer later for tyre fitment. Last time was around £35 a corner for complete refurbishment.

carcraft in sw19 (wimbledon) does a brilliant job of refurbishing alloys, i've had this done a few times, at a cost of 40 quid a wheel