A3 radio upgrade to sat nav

maars

Full speed ahead
Reaction score
How easy is it to retro-fit the RNS-E sat nav system into a 2007 A3 (currently fitted with Symphony 6-disc). There's a few on ebay and I was curious as to what's required, etc.

10 minute job if your car does not have BOSE, if you do have BOSE then a couple of wires need to be moved, check out www.navplus.us a quick search on there will throw up lots of information on this topic.

Should be very easy, you need the RNS-E, the aerial, the nav disc, some Audi removal keys and access to VAGCOM to get the RNS-E added. Or a few companies will fit it for you.

OK, so I don't have Bose. I presume ebay is the best place to source an RNS-E? Any ideas how much I should be paying?

Sorry for the dumb question, but what's VAGCOM?

Plenty of RNS-E on eBay - make sure you get one with rounded corners for the A3! From £400 up depending on location.

VAGCOM is a piece of software that will code the RNS-E unit (or other kit) into your car.

Thanks! Is the software to update to RNS-E free at all?

The VAGCOM s/w is free, but u need a suitable lead for your laptop to connect to your car. They cost!

OK. Where can I download it and buy the lead?

Is there a difference between say a 2006 RNS-E and a 2007 RNS-E?

Not really. They update the hardware periodically and there is talk of later units being faster and reading recordable/damaged discs better but the actual functionality is determined by the firmware and the latest firmware will run on the oldest hardware.

Aha I see. Thanks for that Vertigo1 :) Oh and i'm gonna shell out on one of these hot cakes in about 2-3months.
Is it worth waiting for a newer unit to be released?
Any indication of when or even if?

emzino said:
Aha I see. Thanks for that Vertigo1 :) Oh and i'm gonna shell out on one of these hot cakes in about 2-3months.
Is it worth waiting for a newer unit to be released?
Any indication of when or even if?
Wouldn't bother waiting, just make sure you don't get fobbed off with an ancient unit from years ago but frankly I think that's unlikely.

Don't know about specific hardware revisions to check for, best off on navplus.us for that I think :)

Myself and JohnS3 have bought RNS-E's from nikin777 on ebay. They are selling latest 2006 units. Arrived no problems, no damage and fairly quickly seeing as it came from Europe.

Worth a try!

JamS3 said:
Myself and JohnS3 have bought RNS-E's from nikin777 on ebay. They are selling latest 2006 units. Arrived no problems, no damage and fairly quickly seeing as it came from Europe.

Worth a try!

Interesting! Might I ask how much you paid? Did you get the 2007 nav DVD as well? And did you install it yourself?

Got mine posted over for all in price of £454 roughly, didnt come with 2007 disc but got that from s8Craig on this site who also fit it for me.

Cool! Where abouts are you/S8Craig - wondering if he could offer a similar service if I get one?

Can the iPod adaptor be used with RNS-E?

maars said:
Can the iPod adaptor be used with RNS-E?
Sure can..... but only if you don't have a CD changer.

The iPod adaprter basically replicates a 6 disc CD changer.
The 6 discs being the first 6 playlists on your iPod.

The one disapointing thing is that you don't get song details in the RNS-E only Track 1,2,3 etc.

Personally I don't use my iPOD in the car much any more. Better to copy the mp3 you want onto SD cards as the RNS-e has 2 SD card slots which work much better (in terms of showing track info).

Also, if you post your location there might be someone local to you who wouldn't mind helping with the VAG-COM bit as the fitting is really easy otherwise.

Had an A4 courtesy car last week with RNS-E, or MMI whatever they want to call it unit installed.

I was not impressed, Sat Nav with verbal diarrhoea, no wonder its got a womens voice.

My favourate expression she came out with was

"Prepare to approch a roundabout" , on some roads she managed to talk all over an entire track :(

It was better navigation than my BMW's system, but good does she talk. I am glad I did not spec it.

Chris.

You're in the minority.

Most of us actually like the extended directions - far far more informative than Tomtom or similar systems.

If you don't want the voice, turn it off.

As much as I like my RNS-e I do kind of agree with Chris.
Sometime you do get a little too much info from Mrs Audi Nav.
I had a most useful 'Prepare to go straight on' whilst travelling on the A1 the other day.

Having said that, there is no way I would sacrifice the integration of Nav, Bluetooth, MMI, DVD just because she talks too much. Typical woman if you ask me.

Oh God, did I really say that? I'm bound to be shot down in flames now.

Vertigo1 said:
You're in the minority.

Most of us actually like the extended directions - far far more informative than Tomtom or similar systems.

If you don't want the voice, turn it off.

Gotcha :readit:

How easy is it to retro fit a bluetooth kit to the RNS-E e.g. Nokia or Sony? Or does it have to be the Audi system?

And will the DVD only play nav discs or can you play films?!

The DVD will only play NAV DVD. If you want DVD playback then you will need a multimedia adaptor and a separate DVD player. Don't forget you will not be able to view DVD above 5kmh unless you have the RNS-e unlocked for VIM (Video in motion). It used to be necessary to have the unit shipped to someone with special equipment to do this unlocking, but it is now possible to do yourself with a custom update CD-ROM.

You can use other bluetooth kits. Indeed, I started with the nokia CK7W(?) which worked fine with the RNS-e. However for the full benefit of the RNS-e it's well worth getting the OEM bluetooth kit.

With the OEM kit you get to see your phonebook from the RNS-e screen and it also allows you to see who's calling. It also integrates nicely with the DIS. If you have gone to the expense of the RNS-e then I personally would also do the OEM bluetooth. Expensive, but worth it.

For everything you could possible want to know about the RNS-e and bluetooth I would highly recommend checking out http://www.navplus.us

Don't forget some phones don't work too well with the OEM bluetooth prep in that they don't show the phonebook features, missed calls, dialled calls, and received calls etc on the nav screen.

Just got a Samsung U600 on upgrade and it does not show these features on the nav screen and drops the bluetooth connection every couple of minutes and reconnects so annoying beep every couple of minutes!

Just worth taking account of this also as if you spend your money expecting all the features mentioned and your phone does not work with it you will be well annoyed!

I'm sticking with my sony ericsson for the car as all these phones work very well with the phone prep!

Hi Guys,

New Audi Owner!!

A3 SLine 2.0 TDI 170 Bluetooth prep concert 2 Bose system.

I am tempted to get my boss to "agree" to having the RNSe fitted as it doesnt cost much more than a off the shelf unit (TOMTOM etc).

As mentioned earlier i have the concert 2 with BOSE so am assuming that the climate control unit will have to be drpped down closer to the gear stick.

How much work does this involve?:bye:

If I remember correctly the extra part you need cost around £105.

That was for:-
Double-DIN cage - 8P0 858 005 A
Blank (non-functional button) - 8P0 941 515 C 5PR
ESP Switch - 8P0 863 134 C 6PS
Coin Tray - 8P0 941 561 E 5PR
Center trim (Goes around switches) - 8P0 863 321 C 6PS
Passenger Airbag Warning Light - 8P0 919 234 A 5PR
Hazard button - 8P0 941 509 A
4 x Radio Extraction Keys - 4D0 051 530

Please note that that doesn't include the cost of the 2 DIN climate control panel. This is very expensive and if you're not frightened of a little DIY then it is quite easy to trim down your existing climate to fit. Thats what i did when I fitted mine.

Don't forget you will also need (or know someone who has) VAG-COM to code the unit into your car.

All this sounds like quite a protect but it is really not that difficult for anyone who has a little aptitude for DIY . Takes about 3 hours in total to do the whole install. I know there are people who will professionally fit the unit for around £1500 but for me that was too much.

Total including all the parts and DIY installation was just over £600.

I hate paying people for things you can do yourself.

Don't get me wrong, If you're not happy taking your car to pieces and taking a dremel to your expensive climate control unit, then don't attempt this. It is quite achievable on a DIY level but would probably rate 4 out of 5 spanners on the old Haynes difficulty level.