EM TuningVolks Autos

Thread: S3 in EVO mag

Status

Thumbs up S3 in EVO mag

Just read it and they love the car
    alfa brera v6 v audi s3 v bmw139i v mazda 3 mps
    In the end they say the S3 is the logical choice but the beemer is the one they want to take home...I suspect its the RWD that has them wanting it
    Also it beat the previous hot hatch record (r32) around the west circuit at bedford autodrome by more than 2 seconds

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Is this a new edition as i can' remember seeing that the other day when i glanced over it in the shops?

Whats on the front cover?
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Status
    Audi R8 BMW M6 Porka 911 C4S Vantage

6th Gear

Status
    New one then, up north we still have Junes issue on the shelf with the yellow Aston on the front cover!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Uber Post Whore

Status
    Have to keep an eye out for this.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

Neutral

Status
    Not seen it in Birmingham yet?

Status
    subscription thats why!

2nd Gear

Status
    not had my subscription yet?
    - Andrew

1st Gear

Status
    Good review.. very different to their original one from months back. Brera was basically a no show, so came down to 130i vs S3..

Very impressed with S3's performance around West Circuit - almost 2.5 secs faster round track than the previous quickest hot hatchback.

-Sal-
    S3 - Phantom Black with a few options..

Reverse Gear

Status
    probably a bit late to get the latest issue with the review but you can get 3 issues for evo magazine for 1 at www.magsite.co.uk

6th Gear

Status
    just off subject i have a two year maxim subscription for 9.99 just saerch maxim subsription 9.99
    Last edited by mattyboy199; 28th May 2007 at 15:59.
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

6th Gear

Status
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

Reverse Gear

Status
    wow, just looked at the time and it's not far off an M5/M3!

Good stuff!

2nd Gear

Status
    Read the review today...seems pretty balanced for a chnage, and how refreshing for the S3 not to be ruled out for being expensive. I think having the R32 in the test as well might have been quite sensible though.
    Silver 2007 S3

5th Gear

Status
    Performance aside the S3 would win for me over the BMW because the 1 series is ugly and BMW interiors dont do anything for me! So bland!

jamiekip
    I read the article last night and was really impressed. I remember feeling a bit shocked when I read the original 'driven' back in December I think. Certainly didn't sound like they'd driven the car I'd test driven!!!
    Anyway, seems they really enjoyed it, couldn't help but feel that it was the sensible choice simply because it 4wd so you can't get the back end out!!!

I checked out how the lap times compared too - gob smacked doesn't cover it!!!

Good review though - seems given a chance to drive it over some familier roads they grew to like it!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    BMW interiors dont do anything for me! So bland!
    I've always believed in that! Couldn't agree with you more Matt, couldn't agree with you more
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

windsurfer

Status
    I agree as well... had a look in Z4 Coupe before S3 and it just lacks an interior!!!

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

1st Gear

Status
    I bought EVO yesterday to have a look at the review. I can't understand why they chose the 1 Series over the S3. They admitted in the article the S3 is faster in a straight line (0-60 in less than 6 seconds!) handles better (the stunning lap time proved this), and has better build quality.

Considering there isn't much difference in the price, the only advantage they thought was the S3 looks too ordinary compared to the BMW. I personally think the BMW looks ugly, and would choose the S3 over it anyday

under pressure

Status
    Can anyone post the lap times ?
    Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro - Turbo-Back exhaust - Cold Air Intake - Uprated Fuel Pump - Upgraded Clutch - Upgraded Intercooler - Stage2+ Software

2nd Gear

Status
    finally got it yesterday

good review of them all
    - Andrew

6th Gear

Status
    Next to the Fiat Multipla (remember those) the 1 series is one of the most ugly cars on the road today - the designers got paid for that?! Unbelievable.

Looking forward to reading the review, not got the mag yet.
    '07 Phantom Black S3 - '07 to now - Bucket Seats, FBMFSW, BOSE, Symphony II+, Cruise Control, Elec Folding Mirrors, Front Centre Armrest, Rear Armrest & Through Load, Interior Light Pack, Luggage Pack, Reversible Boot Mat, Luggage net.
    '02 Silver S3 (225bhp) - '02 to '07
    '99 A3 1.8T - '99 to '02

'11 Rising Blue Golf R - '12 to now - 19" Black Talladega's
    '52 Black Golf GTi MkIV Anniversary - '03 to '12

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aiculedtzu
    Can anyone post the lap times ?
    The S3's 06-0 was 5.6 seconds, making it the fastest proudction hot hatch EVO has ever tested, beating the Lancia Delta Integrale

From the 4 car test, the laptimes were:

Audi S3: 1:30.40
    Mazda 3 MPS: 1:31.30
    BMW 130i: 1:31.70
    Alfa Brera: 1:35.90

Other times as a comparison:

Golf R32: 1:32.55
    BMW M3 CSL 1:29.80
    BMW M5: 1.29.95
    Vectra VXR: 1:31.55
    Mazda RX8: 1:32.70
    Astra VXR: 1:33.15
    Focus ST: 1:33.90

And Aud R8: 1:22.10

Pretty impressive time by the S3, only 0.45 of a second slower than an M5, and much quicker than all of its direct competitors. Still some way off the R8 though...........

Status
    I'm an EVO subscriber and got the mag in time for a week off in Stoke. Very impressed with the S3; it really didn't put a foot wrong at all. As for the decision to go with the 130i at the end of the article, reading between the lines this is only because most of the contributors prefer RWD. My impression - having been an EVO subscriber for five years - is that the S3 was the best of the four.

Good write-up though, and proves that there was more in the 8P chassis than we all thought - shame Audi couldn't get it right on all derivatives from the start.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

2nd Gear

Status
    Would be quite a chuckle to see the lap times if they tested the same cars on a wet track...with the english weather what it is, this would make the gulf between the S3 and the 130 even bigger performance wise and make it even harder for them to justify the 130.
    Silver 2007 S3

Neutral

Status
    I haven't seen it yet but a 1 series???

I don't care what engine they put in it, it still looks like a dog's dinner

2007 S3 Phantom Black - All the toys!