Non Starter

PJLarge

Reaction score
My car has had a really irritating intermittent fault that's come to light since about January - it doesn't start sometimes when it's been run for some time and you go to restart it - say after stopping at motorway services or some other equally inconvenient time. It's just done it again tonight.

What happens is that you can park the car up, go about your business, come back to it and go to start it. Key on, the dash lights up as usual but turn the key to start and nothing. The starter doesn't engage, no clicks, nothing. The dash stays lit up though.

Audi 'assist' have been to look - he had no idea what it was. I've tried VAG-COM, no faults found. Mr Audi did speculate that it could be the DSG box telling the car it was not ready or in neutral, but didn't have the test gear to check it out. Chester Audi have had it in, they had no idea and want it back in again for further diagnosis. The trouble is, as it's intermittent and it only does it when it's properly warm it's really difficult for them to trace. I've given up with Audi assist as every time I call them I've had it running again before they show up, but it's damned frustrating not trusting the car to restart. It seems to know when the most inconvenient time is to break down as well.

When it did it tonight I tried disconnecting the battery in case it is a software / computer problem but no dice. I have also tried both keys in case it's an immobiliser problem. I've abandoned it for now and will go back to it later when, as per usual, it will start first key.

Has anyone else heard of similar non-start issues on VAG cars? Right now, it's got me questioning whether I'd buy another Audi or not no matter how much I like the A3.

Frustrated Phil.

Those symtoms could also be attributed to an immobiliser fault. Have you tried using the spare key to see if it does the same thing?

Just an idea. :confused:

Ok, not sure on Audi's But other cars have a pickup that reads the key near the steering column.

My friend used to hold the spare key right against the pickup while turning his key to start the car and traced the fault that way as the garage could not trace the fault on his (Renault ...... enough said :tapedshut:)

It used to happen on my Impreza if I parked near a radio mast, police station or anywhere else that had a strong radio interference ....... the immobilser would just lock out!

Again, just an idea and something else you could eliminate. Bet its REALLY frustrating. :crying:

Update:
It broke down whilst at the Audi dealership on Saturday. Unfortunately the mechanics were off due to the bank holiday... They lent me a 1.9 TDI instead though, so at least I was mobile. The latest is they think it's the starter motor, so at least it's a good sign that they're looking in the right area....

I did however take a new 2.0 TT Coupe out whilst there, they have a Lava / Magma cancelled order sat round the back. I'm more than a little tempted to change now!