S3 REGRETS!

A5GUR

Reaction score
Do you guys regret getting or not getting certain options on your S3/A3?

My regrets refer to options i didnt order:

- Sunroof (i know alot of people dont like these, but i think they are good for letting in light so people can see your seats and more importantly YOU. Also, quite refreshing at night)
- Black grille Kit

Thread can be extended to colours as well as options.

I was recently in a car with adaptive light option, and I think I might regret not ordering that.

I saw black grill and standard together the other day and glad mine is silver.

Yeah you'll struggle to retrofit a sunroof. Cruise and/or a black SFG is easy enough though, and if you look hard enough you may secure it for less than the option new. I've retrofitted more than £3000-worth of extras on my Sportback for around £550.

Only thing I regret not getting is the interior light pack, it's easy and cheap enough to retro fit so I may get one and will of saved a few bob as well.

Mark

where is the best place to source the black grille kit? Id imagine the stealers would want an arm and leg and would need to order all the parts separately. Is there anybody who sells the kit?

Shao_khan said:
I was recently in a car with adaptive light option, and I think I might regret not ordering that.

I saw black grill and standard together the other day and glad mine is silver.

Yes, the adaptive lights are very good. I was lucky as it came with the car (I wouldn't have ordered them personally tbh), but on a dark country road they are awesome.

The thing I regret the most is the interior light pack :(

None of you regret not getting Xenon plus? Btw is Xenon plus when both your lights are Xenons?

markwiggy said:
Only thing I regret not getting is the interior light pack, it's easy and cheap enough to retro fit so I may get one and will of saved a few bob as well.
Interior lighting pack = 5 red LEDs, 4 map lights plus lights in footwells, vanity mirrors & doors.

Good luck retrofitting all of that :)

emzino said:
None of you regret not getting Xenon plus? Btw is Xenon plus when both your lights are Xenons?
At the price Audi charge for them!? Not a chance. Sure, Xenons are nice but not THAT nice. I spent nearly £5k on options and didn't spec Xenons. If I'd had another grand to spend I still wouldn't have specced them.

And before anyone tries the tired old "once you've had them you'll never go back" rhetoric, I've heard it all before. If you do a lot of night driving then they might be worth it but otherwise it's a shedload of money for better lights when the standard ones do the job just fine, especially with some brighter bulbs in them.

BTW, the "plus" refers to the fact that they're bi-xenons, i.e. both the dipped and main beam use the xenon bulb, rather than the latter being halogen, as on the earlier models.

They cost that much hu.

So to understand it, the Daytime Running Lights are not xenons?

emzino said:
They cost that much hu.

So to understand it, the Daytime Running Lights are not xenons?

No daytime running lights are not xenons. Xenons are well worth it IMO they cost £750 more but make such a difference at night its worth it. I will never buy another expensive car without them.

I sort of regret not having the interior light pack, but only for the map lights, which are easy to retrofit and cheaper than having that option as well. I couldn't care less about all the other lights that come with the interior light pack though ;) I don't think there are any other options I wish I'd spec'd though, I certainly don't want Xenons, as like Vertigo1, I just wouldn't spec them at that price, especially as I don't do much night time driving.

dandle said:
No daytime running lights are not xenons. Xenons are well worth it IMO they cost £750 more but make such a difference at night its worth it. I will never buy another expensive car without them.
Absolutely right. In fact, Xenons were the first option I ticked when speccing my Sportback after I had them on a Focus ST170. I disagree with Vertigo1 - the standard lights aren't even close.

Vertigo1 said:
Interior lighting pack = 5 red LEDs, 4 map lights plus lights in footwells, vanity mirrors & doors.

Good luck retrofitting all of that :)

Actually, there's a link in one thread on these forums to an article which shows you how to install everything. The map lights are just a matter of ordering the correct part number.

Vanity Mirrors have illumination as standard on SLine and S3 definitely, don't know about other models.

The only really tough one is the doors, but it's still do-able.

A5GUR said:
where is the best place to source the black grille kit? Id imagine the stealers would want an arm and leg and would need to order all the parts separately. Is there anybody who sells the kit?

I got mine from Neil at www.audi-accessories.co.uk

He's a member on here.

I think I've retro fitted most of the stuff I should have ordered ie arm rest, light pack etc but I do wish I'd gone for the auto lights and wipers. The RNS thingy would have been nice too but just a little pricey.

Rich1068 -Is that grille the genuine Audi one listed as the 'black styling package' on the audi configurator? How hard is it to fit? cheeers!

newbiecrg said:
Regret not getting cruise control...

Same story here :) Otherwise i have no regrets.

Or maybe just a small one. Probably i would been happier if i would stick with Alfa and would bought an Alfa 147 GTA. Although it's not as fast or as well built as the S3, but it's much more better looking, has a lovely V6 and it has passion written al over it.
:think:

aiculedtzu said:
Same story here :) Otherwise i have no regrets.

Or maybe just a small one. Probably i would been happier if i would stick with Alfa and would bought an Alfa 147 GTA. Although it's not as fast or as well built as the S3, but it's much more better looking, has a lovely V6 and it has passion written al over it.
:think:

That was thought but the fact of the 147 is a bit older car and 250hp only FWD made me forget it...

The word here is QUATTRO.... ;)

Pedro

A5GUR said:
Rich1068 -Is that grille the genuine Audi one listed as the 'black styling package' on the audi configurator? How hard is it to fit? cheeers!

Yes it is. Neil sources his parts from Audi.

What you get from him is the surround (black not chrome), grille and number plate plinth (both black not dark grey).

There are two screws behind the grille assembly so the bumper has to come off unfortunately along with all the associated bits and bobs like fog lights and arch liners. About an hours labour if you pay someone to do it. Worth it though I reckon.

Newpics013Medium.jpg

You have to have xenons, as a safety factor £750 at point of purchase is money well spent IMO, the difference is 'blinding' - sorry couldn't resist that :0
S3 comes pretty much speced to taste as standard with the exception of centre A/R
On an A3 my spec would be S-line to include:-

Int Light Pack
A/Rest
Xenon

rich1068 said:
What you get from him is the surround (black not chrome), grille and number plate plinth (both black not dark grey).

I Got my Ipod kit from the same place - good service.

Is the kit modular? If you wanted to be different could you use the Black grill and keep the chrome suround or is it one piece?

Very happy with spec in my car :icon_thumright: but if I could have spec'd anything else it'd have been the FBMFSW. Seen a couple of cars with and without and it does look the part :) .

Agree with stevie_d on adaptive xenons - they are awesome on country lanes at night.. :racer:

-Sal-

Shao_khan said:
Is the kit modular? If you wanted to be different could you use the Black grill and keep the chrome suround or is it one piece?

It's three different parts.

It's a shame you pay alot for Xenon Plus the Daytime Running Lights are not xenons?!

The new BMW 3 series have this. Dunno if it's called Xenon Plus but it looks pretty good.

Could you mod the front lights of an A3 to make the DRL's having Xenons too?

A5GUR said:

Try audi accessories, it's £110 which is far cheaper than the £300 charge for factory fitting. I'd give them a ring first to make sure it fits the S3.

http://www.audi-accessories.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=279

Regards, John.

Doh!! That'll teach me to read the full thread before posting.......

Does anyone have a pic of the black grill on a silver A3/S3?

Good thread mate ! If i was ordering again i'd definetely go for the bucket seats and maybe sprint blue but i wont loose any sleep over it. Cannot wait !!

Well, I had a few problems as the sales guy had to write out my order twice as I ordered too many options and he ran out of space on the pad... :faint:

Small problem as I noticed Audi forgot the optional kitchen sink from the brochure so that didn't get ordered, but can't say anything is missing from my motor at all... :icon_thumright:

Would have purchased magnetic ride had it been an option, as the new S3 suspension is definately firmer than the old one. A bit too much IMHO.

I think that Audi put in too much sound proofing on the new one as the first time I booted it after 1000 miles this week I was doing well over a ton at the end of a slip road and it was very quiet inside... :happy:

Eeef said:
What's safe about blinding other drivers? Ban them I say.

Xenons imo dont blind people, I dont have a problem with other cars with xenons..only people who flash me my to indicate I have main beam on... quick blast of main beam generally results in no more main beam from them.. also they are normally missing there retina's lol:arco:

However my girlfirend hates xenons.. she moaned when I specced them on my A3.. so of course I didnt listen to her:wub:

I actually think Xenons should be compulsory has they are a major improvement on night driving... Will never have a car without them anymore, regardless cost!

I never foundd myself blinded by Xenons... probably being lucky...

Pedro

Hill Hold is just plain stupid. Try getting out of a tight parallel parking space on a hill and you'll see what I mean!

cjp2k said:
Xenons imo dont blind people, I dont have a problem with other cars with xenons..only people who flash me my to indicate I have main beam on... quick blast of main beam generally results in no more main beam from them.. also they are normally missing there retina's lol:arco:
Grow up you moron.