Bike Rack

Badley

Reaction score
This is when I whish I hadn't bought an S-line. Audi Bike Racks don't fit cars with a rear spoiler.

Are there any options?

n.b. I don't want it on the roof

You really don't have much options left if you don't want it on the roof ... I guess you can always put it inside the car; take the front bike wheel off and fold the back seat down? But I'm sure you thought of that already... it's not an option for me either, just too much work and too easy to scratch the interior.

mcmasman said:
I guess you can always put it inside the car; take the front bike wheel off and fold the back seat down? But I'm sure you thought of that already... it's not an option for me either, just too much work and too easy to scratch the interior.

I get two bikes in the back of my car weekly and have no problems whatsoever, Providing you are careful. Front wheels off, first bike in and place old continental quilt over the top and then the second bike on top.Quilt protects the bikes and also the interior from damage from the forks etc. I find you are limited with carriers if you want to go away for a few days and also some of them damage the car.

The other option is the tow bar one, friend of mine has a tow bar rack which works very well.

Mark

Hi,

Has anyone tried fitting the saris bones bike rack?

Does it clear the rear spoiler on the A3 Quattro S-Line?

Does anyone have any photos?

I have a halfords bike rack which I have never fitted to my audi but I'm sure it will. Was planning on trying it tomorrow

why not get a detachable towbar and get a bike rack for that?

Why dont you want a roof rack one? The ones that go on the tailgate will damage your paint.

Nope. I used mine many times on my old type-r and no damage. The rack has rubber covers over the hooks

buy a cheap car if its practical for when you are wanting to carry your bikes, you will be gutted if you scratch your car you could get something for less than a grand and wouldn't give a **** if bikes damaged it.

I'm having the same problem but with my windsurf and surf gear... I don't want to put rails on the roof of my S3 so I might buy a diesel estate just for these outdoor activities.... Probably a 320d or something sensible...lol but will keep the S3 for fun...

Pedro

motorbikez said:
buy a cheap car if its practical for when you are wanting to carry your bikes, you will be gutted if you scratch your car you could get something for less than a grand and wouldn't give a **** if bikes damaged it.
Buy another car?!?!? Is that a joke?

I think a better suggestion is getting a rack like mine and if you're scared you can cover the hooks and straps with baby wipes and fur. I'm sure it'd cost a lot less. Don't think you have to MOT & tax fur either.

I have a a 3dr S line with the spoiler and use a Saris sentinel 3 rack, this works a treat, the bottom of the rack with the foam protector bar fits just below the number plate on the top of the rear bumper. The top of the rack bar (foam protector) fits just above the Audi badge and just below the rear wiper. There are 6 straps that attach it, 2 hinge at the top where the boot opens, 2 to the side just under the rear window and two at the bottom of the boot. This is a spot on rack for the money i got it for £45. Give it a go!! The fixings are also protected so it will not scratch the motor.

Where did you get this from Paul? Not prepared to pay £200 for an Audi one!

I got it from www.leisureshack.co.uk

here are the details,

ORDER CONTENTS:

Item: 401n_k60 (Mont Blanc Roof Bar Set)
Comment:
Price: £63.95
Qty: 1
Total: £63.95

Item: thu530 (Thule 530 Freeride Bike Carrier )
Comment:
Price: £34.95
Qty: 2
Total: £69.90

ORDER TOTAL:

Subtotal: £133.85
Shipping: £6.95
------------------------------------------------
GRAND TOTAL: £140.80

To be honest it was not a problem spending £140+on a rack for me as there are always £5000+ worth of bikes on the car most weekends, They are stable as hell at high speeds and the bikes lock on so when you go the pub etc the bikes cant be nicked!

ok bikers... post your bikes then!...
I'll start with my 07 Ransom 20, 06 Kona Dawg and 05 Kona Cinder Cone..
(love the carbon!!!)
hpim0933.jpg

hpim0935.jpg

Mine are both on the roof of the car on the first pic.

07 Cannondale Lefty Caffine with Upgraded Hope mini brakes, chris king headset and rear Hub carbon easton lite bars and seat post. total spend £2500.

The white one is a 07 Cannondale prophet 2 with upgraded Chris king front and rear hubs, Juicy carbon brakes, Chris king headset, Sram XO mechs and levers total spend £3200.

Nice scott that 911SC one of my pals has a ransom 10!!