A3 Sunroof options

Mr_P

Reaction score
OK, now clearly there's a difference between Open Sky and a regular Sunroof on A3 (Sportback & 3dr), but does anyone know the comparitive dimensions of each, and by how much do they retract?

(Let's leave aside the fixed 2nd glass roof on the Open Sky, which I know doesn't open at all.)

My existing 1998 A3 has a decent sunroof - it retracts all the way back, and the manually operated blind is solid (and I like the position pre-select switch also which is cool).

Some time ago I test drove a Sportback with Open Sky and was a tad disappointed: the glass didn't retract all the way back - contributing to quite a bit of whistle/wind noise at speed - and the blind was mesh so you couldn't block out shafts of overhead sunlight, if that's what you wanted.

Having never seen the sunroof option on the latest 3 door A3, can anyone tell me how it differs? Does it retract fully, and does it have mesh or solid blind?

Thanks
Richard

in my opinion a car with air con does not need a sunroof

takes the look away from the car also - i had a sunroof in my old clio, had it from new and if i knew there was an option to get it without a sunroof i would have jumped at the chance

im so happy my A3 doesnt have one for a few reasons:

1. car looks smoother
2. no rattles (as sun roofs can rattle)
3. easier to clean, polish and wax the car without one
4. the roof reflection is excellent when clean without one

just my 2p about sunroofs - i will try never to own a car with one ever again!

Boydie said:
i will try never to own a car with one ever again!

I'm with you there.
I object to the loss of headroom and the loss of structural rigidity.
Thank god for aircon instead.
Unfortunately,some manufacturers can be a bit inflexible when it comes to their fancy sunroof/glass roof options.
For example,Honda's Civic or CRV can only be had in EX trim with their sunroof/glass roof option.
So if I wanted one of them in that trim (the CRV is a maybe) I'd have to put up with a ****** sunroof/glass roof I didn't really want.
Like driving a conservatory.

Are you thinking of buying a 3-door or a Sportback because the normal sunroof is only available on the 3-door and not the Sportback and the Open-Sky is only available on the Sportback.

Personally I don't like sunroofs mainly because of the reduction in headroom but also because driving with one open is always quite noisey. The aircon will not work well with a sunroof open in the same way that is doesn't with any windows open.

h5djr said:
Are you thinking of buying a 3-door or a Sportback because the normal sunroof is only available on the 3-door and not the Sportback and the Open-Sky is only available on the Sportback.
I was thinking of a Sportback, but after I complained about the Open Sky, my local dealer tried talking to the Audi Exclusive people about the rare possibility of having a regular (3-door style) sunroof fitted instead of Open Sky - *edit* having just got off the phone, apparently this is definitely not possible even under special circumstances */edit*

in my opinion a car with air con does not need a sunroof
In mine & her indoors' opinion, the cabin feels too dark & claustrophobic without one. Horses for courses :cool:

In mine & her indoors' opinion, the cabin feels too dark & claustrophobic without one. Horses for courses

I know what you mean. When I had my first car with air-con and no sunroof it did seem dark inside. One solution I found over the years is to go for a light coloured interior. Makes all the difference.

Have sunroof in my 156, hardly use it and when open you have to drive very slowly otherwise is noisy, did not spec on my S3... The only use I can see for a sunroof is to get more light in but it is a personal choice I guess...

Pedro

Agree on the structural and rattles issue. Too bad the Skyroof is standard in our market... too bad... Personally would save a few pennies for a cleaner roofline and a stronger chassis.

Total disagree with most comments so far, this is the only car I have ever had without one and I really miss it. Never had any rattles or issues (BMW and Lexus previous cars) adds much needed light into the cabin (Sline black on black with more black and black paint work). I noticed a Gti the other day in the dark silver with one and it looked brilliant and caught my eye because of it.

Would I pay Audi list option price for one..... thats another storey.

I have a sunroof on my S3 and I think it is great! I like the light aspect in the otherwise dark cockpit. Additionally I nearly always drive with the window open a bit. (This must be going back to my motor bike days in my youth!) Instead I pop up the roof for the same effect.
I thought lots about it beforehand but most of my other cars had one.
In conclusion, I have got one and I am happy!!

prt57

I had a 1.8T Sport from 1997 with sunroof. Thought it was great and used it loads. Then got my new 3.2 3dr A3 and ordered one with a sunroof too. However, had lots of probs with it e.g. wind whistling noises from the door seals when it was on tilt, and also got frustrated with the so called "comfort" position i.e. when it stops halfway back, which in reality is as far back as you can have it unless you want to be deafened. Effectively only half a sunroof.

When I changed to a Sportback I decided not to have it again (through previous annoyance and therefore lack of use and the fact it is over a £1000 option). 18 months on and I have not missed it despite having had a sunroof in a car since 1995. At least with the SB you can open the rear windows too if you want lots of air through the cabin.

Personally, I would save (or not spend!) the £500 or £1000 depending on whether 3 or 5 door.