Sports Cat - How Is It Better?

emzino

Reaction score
Hi. Just to clear something up that keeps bugging me when I read about exhausts...

I wanted to get a Miltek Sports Cat for my 2.0TDI 140 but going on there website they don't seem to do one.
Now I wanted a Sports Cat because apparently it's like having the same performance as a de-cat full exhaust system but without the hassle with the MOT.

So, am I wrong with the thinking about the Sports Cat being much better than a standard catback system or am I right...

I chose Miltek because I thought they were basically the best in the business for Audi exhausts but i'm starting to read about piperwerx and other companies.

What do I do now? I'm willing to spend alot of money on something like that as I don't want to cut myself short. I don't mind saving up for along time as long as I get the best I can, I love my car that much.

Is there something better than a Sports Cat?
What company should I goto?

If you've read this far, many thanks for your time :) Any input is appreciated.

Just found another one, hi-flow cat. What are all these! lol

I think hi-flow cat/sports cat are the same thing really. I was gonna get one for my car too with the full miltek exhaust. I think the standard cats are just rather restrictive on air flow and these sport cats just open things up a bit while staying road legal.

High-flow or Sport CATs supposedly still meet emissions standards, but are less restrictive, i.e. they let the exhaust gases pass through quicker. Thats the theory.

But there has been a lot of debate about performance exhausts and cats in the past and whether they actually give any peformance gains at all.

Have a look in the A3/S3(8L) forum. I think there are some threads on there from when Glen_S3 tested back-to-back, on a reputable rolling road, a performance exhaust with sports CATs. If I remember correctly, no gains were made.

Now I know its not the same car as yours, but it begs the question do these exhaust systems really do what they claim.

AL

supersprint is also a well known company of performance exhaust systems... If someday I go that route I will go that way if better than OEM... (sometimes not the case...)

Pedro

Sport Cats are the same as Hi Flow Cats, they are just sometimes referred differently.

As Al said hi flow CAT's are less restrictive therefore air flows through the system quicker.

Hi Flow CAT's are very effective when used on a Turbocharged car where the turbocharger is near the CAT as the back pressure created by the CAT makes the turbine in the turbo work harder as it is spinning against the back pressure.

Right so Sports Cat & Hi-Flow Cat are basically the same and I think I just realised, getting one of these is ONLY buying the Cat and not the whole thing heh. I thought it was the whole thing :keule:

Hmmm so that's how they work. I'm definitely going to search for the usernames threads and look into it. Thanks AL_B.

Yet it maybe that they don't give any performance gains although Robin you say that it's very good for turbocharged cars, which is what I have so it might do me a whole lot of good!

Question now is, Supersprint, Miltek or Piperwerx???

Btw, many thanks you guys for your help, I understand it much better now :friends:

for the price of a Sports/Hi Flow CAT you might as well get a remap instead, you will gain much more from a remap than the CAT which will be around the same price.

Then again I've read people say if you get a full high flow exhaust system + CAI kit before the remap you will see even better gains? Not sure how much difference it will make.

I havnt done mine yet but in all honesty I think I'll just upgrade my DV, get some samco inlet pipes so it dosnt collapse in on itself then get it Revo'd and go from there

Oh don't worry Robin, i'm working everyday to get it all done in one go so i'm gonna be patient.

Now I was advised to get my mods done BEFORE the remap as you said Rich so the plan is to get it ALL at once!
1) Miltek system + hi-flow cat
2) Hyperboost Recirculating Dump Valve
3) Front Mouted InterCooler - now this is a maybe because apparently if i've already got a large intercooler then I don't need an aftermarket one as the only difference will be that it's made of aluminium. Hopefully someone will clear that up for me...
4) Then complete custom coded remap via dyno with before and after power & torque plot.

Hoping to get that all in one day over at QS Tuning (MTM & Miltek) so we'll see.

Now what is this Samco Inlet Pipe? What do you mean by collapse...

I heard theres an inlet pipe to the turbos which can collapse with a remap as it creates more vacum than it was intended to have, so it just caves in on itself. The aftermarket ones (samco is a brand) provide stronger pipes which wont collapse under the higher vacumes.

What sort of gains you looking at for a zorst alone ?
I know they can make a helluva difference on bikes.
10-20bhp in some cases.
You're going to notice that on a bike though.
Do you really notice gains in a car ??

I suppose I'm just hoping people don't do these purely for noise..
What the hell does a diesel with a loud zorst sound like anyway ??
Never heard one !

Oh I see Rich. Ok thanks for that mate, i'm gonna look into more :)

Nonono it's not anything to do with noise bowfer. I'd hate for it to be loud, that'd be the worst! It's purely for performance gains and hopefully something with a nice hummm :)

I reckon you will get around 10-15bhp more with a sports cat but i think you will notice less turbo lag as well.

Sounds like a win win situation to me. Of course the price is a drag but seems like the advantage outways it by miles :D

You should get it done too Robin!