New A3 owner with a few questions...

maars

Full speed ahead
Reaction score
I've just put a deposit down on a nearly new A3 2.0TDI 170DPF quattro S-Line 6sp manual in Lava Grey which should be with me next week. It's a bit of a change from my current car - a Renault Clio V6 255 - but a baby due in two weeks means a sensible car is called for (for now anyway!).

I have a couple of questions for you...
* Any known issues with this model?
* Is it worth remapping the 170?
If so who are the companies to look at and how much is the conversion?
* What size are the speakers in the front/rear?
I have some Kef/MB Quarts from an install in the Clio.
* Is there an easy way to get an iPod interface into the in dash 6-disc CD
without paying Audi a fortune?

Thanks in advance.

James

* Is it worth remapping the 170?

Well that is the known issue, the remaps at the moment have been withdrawn I believe, problems with them on the 170 engine

If so who are the companies to look at and how much is the conversion?
Revo, Superchips
* What size are the speakers in the front/rear?
pass
I have some Kef/MB Quarts from an install in the Clio.
* Is there an easy way to get an iPod interface into the in dash 6-disc CD
without paying Audi a fortune?
Yep buy the kit yourself from Audi (£90) or by the Dension kit and fit it yourself, easy job I did mine

PS. Welcome to the forums

RobinA3 said:
Whats the Clio like to drive??

Awesome :)

Hard to beat a RWD, mid-engined layout with a 3.0L V6 inches behind your ears. Loads of torque, loads of grip and a fantastic engine note, especially over 5000rpm. Treat it with respect (slow in, fast out) and it won't bite. And when it rains/snows -take it easy-

PS. Welcome to the forums

Thanks! :icon_thumright:

...and for the advice...will contact Superchips and ask if they've got one for the 170DPF (nothing listed on their website).

The only company I know that is offering a 170 remap at present is RSD who offer the Oettinger remap. Top quality company with full support and warranty but at £595 +VAT for an extra 25bhp its not cheap. However others here have said they generally under quote performance figures and are a great outfit. Also BHP isn't everything but the only thing in the figures on their website that means anything to me.

At mo I am waiting for someone else to be a guinea pig so if you do go ahead please let us know.

Good luck and a warm welcome to the board.

Thanks for the advice.

Out of interest, is it possible to source/fit the S3/RS4 Recaro style seats in the S-line sportback?

maars said:

If you do a search on here,people are reporting 'issues' that seem to centre around the DPF.
Reports of rough running / engine noise / engine management lights.
I'm keeping an eye on it,as a 170 Passat is a possibility for when my car's due for replacement.

Funnily enough, the 170 I drove (and bought) is a demonstrator and the engine light was on on the dashboard. The dealer assures me it'll be fixed before I pick it up - sounds like the DPF problem.

From all acounts all problems are related to the DPF, superchips temporarily removed the 170 from their listing so that could carry out further testing on their inhouse car - a Leon 170tdi boasting 213bhp, this car apparently runs with nil issues so they are trying to replicate the fault experienced by some customers, if in doubt speak to Jamie Turvey their technical director, he is always very helpful and very honest.

jamie.turvey@superchips.co.uk

Just had a very helpful email from Jamie @ Superchips. Apparantly the chip (not BluFin though) is being relaunched in the next few weeks.

front speakers are 6.5" maars

the rear's i think are maybe 5.25" coaxials

Thanks! Any idea where the x-over for the A-pillar tweeters is?

I see your footer shows "Show winning ICE". What kind of setup are you running? I have some MB Quart components & Kef UNI-Qs left over from the Clio V6, two Nakamichi amps, and a Kenwood XXV-1D headunit...

Was thinking of Kenwood XXV-04S or Focals for the front if they're 6.5s

i dont think there are x overs for the standard speakers :S

my install Spec:

Becker GP head unit
Becker Ipod adaptor
Focal 6.5" KP2's
Audiocontrol EQL
Genesis 4ch
Genesis Dual Mono
Diamond M6 (i think) 10"
Streetwires 0 guage kit and a mixture of ZN650 and ZN350 RCA's

Pictures:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=38802

your system spec looks good, always heard good reports about the nakamichi amps!

mine is yet to be set up, sounds ok at the minute but the EQ is only at a flat setting so its going back to the audio shop for a tweak next week - time enough to let the Focals break in :D