Should i get DSG or Manual / 2WD or Quattro on new A3 Tdi 170 S-Line

h5djr said:
Did you drive the DSG in auto or manual mode?

Ahem,there isn't a manual mode.
Play-around-a-bit-mode,you mean.

For the benefit of the bloke who maybe doesn't know and didn't realise on his test drive,DSG still changes up for you itself if you get 'naughty' with the revs,even in 'pretend manual' mode.
So you never,ever,have full control.

Alright if you what to be perdantic - tip-tonic mode.

I would have thought than anyone test driving a DSG would be away of that with the first few hundred yards in tip-tonic because when you pull away, especially in a 170, the engine gets to the red line so quickly and changes up to second and then equally quickly up to third that you cannot fail to be away.

It one on the things I like most about the DSG.

h5djr said:
Alright if you what to be perdantic - tip-tonic mode.

I would have thought than anyone test driving a DSG would be away of that with the first few hundred yards in tip-tonic because when you pull away, especially in a 170, the engine gets to the red line so quickly and changes up to second and then equally quickly up to third that you cannot fail to be away.

It one on the things I like most about the DSG.

If I wanted to be pedantic,I'd point out it's not perdantic... ;-)
Anyhoo...
A test drive 'may' show up the auto-change in 'manual' (cough..) mode,but it took me a while to realise it happened.
I'm not in the habit of caning test cars or new cars.
I tend to take it easy,fumbling for familiarity.

h5djr said:
Did you drive the DSG in auto or manual mode?

Yes - used all modes. Auto mode (D) i found slow, (S) mode was much better. Particular things that got me annoyed was when i changed my mind about powering on or off - DSG just too slow to react. In manual mode 1st thing i did was red line it to see what happened. v. dissapointed as it reverted to auto mode by changing up. Worse - It was still changing gear mid-corner, which i found un-nerving. It's that lack of 100% control that put me off.

Don't get me wrong - the DSG is a great system and i'm comparing it to other systems i've driven (SMG1, SMG2, F1 on 355) It was'nt that i disliked the DSG it just did'nt do any thing for me personally - it did'nt add to the experience. As several people have commented it is an auto with an almost manual mode.

I've no doubt those that have DSG and have a more laid back driving style enjoy it 100%.

bowfer said:
I'm not in the habit of caning test cars or new cars.
I tend to take it easy,fumbling for familiarity.

I guess i'm the complete opposite - if i am spending hard earned cash i want to know the car will deliver what i want.

I normally try to get a demo without the sales person. I had the DSG for 3 hours and tried really hard to like it.

The Quattro took 2 mins to make me smile.

It's very interesting to read your comments. Obviously we all drive differently. I'm glad you tried the DSG in all modes so you know exactly how it behaves. At least that way you make an informed decision. That's the whole purpose of test drives after all. Being on very good terms with my dealers does mean that they are quite happy to lend me any car to test drive for a full day or even over the weekend in the case of my first test with a Diesel + DSG.

Whatever you decide, I sure you will enjoy your new A3. Keep us posted.

When I visted my sales guy the other day he said that, as I was now fully retired, would I be interested in sometimes delivering a new car for him. He has customers all over the UK, so I may be getting to drive a few more models soon. Although I think I would treat them a little gentler than a test drive!

h5djr said:
When I visted my sales guy the other day he said that, as I was now fully retired, would I be interested in sometimes delivering a new car for him. He has customers all over the UK, so I may be getting to drive a few more models soon. Although I think I would treat them a little gentler than a test drive!

We get those blokes in here delivering the company cars.
They get some cracking jobs.
They get an allowance for their return journey,but most of them just stand at the side of the road showing the trade-plates the car had on.
Lorry drivers will take them wherever for sod all,so they keep the return journey money.

grimsa said:
The Quattro took 2 mins to make me smile.

Thought it might.:icon_thumright:

I have a 2WD as a courtesy car at the moment and it's just not the same. Unfortunately I think quattro has spoilt me now and it will be tough moving away from 4WD for my next car (tho' several years away yet), unless of course I buy another Audi

I'm the same for me my next cars have to be quattro or a very good RWD, no FWD only for me from now on...

Pedro

Cheers for advice everyone. Just ordered my new A3.

Audi A3 2.0tdi 170, Quattro, S-Line, Lava, Bose, Sat Nav, Phone Prep, Park Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Rain & Light Pack, MF Wheel, Xenon Plus, 20 Spokes, 6-CD Changer and some other bits and pieces i can't remember off top of my head.

Not too sure about the wheels as not seen them on an A3, but if no good will give me an excuse to get some new RS4's anyway.

Can't wait to get it.